It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:52

Text Size

Magic Album - Database Errors, Missed Cards and Pictures

Old Set Card Names (Apostrophes) (new)

The Arabian Nights printing is missing the accent in betwen Abu Ja and far? The database shows the accent, but it should be replaced with a space to be accurate to the printing.

This occurs on Aladdin's Lamp too.

Aladdin's Lamp should also have {5}{5} symbols for the mana cost. It's rendering as a {10}.

Also on Antiquities cards, no apostrophe:
Ashnod's Altar
Ashnod's Battle Gear
Ashnod's Transomogrant
Mishra's Factory (all 4 versions)
Mishra's War Machine
Mishra's Workshop
Tawnos's Coffin
Tawnos's Wand
Tawnos's Weaponry
Urza's (All Lands)
Last edited by skibulk on 13 Dec 2013, 00:34, edited 7 times in total.

Comments

Posted by skibulk » 12 Dec 2013, 20:34

Actually, This occurs on A, B, U, R cards as well. The only explanation that I can come up with is that for these sets they were using the original 1993 release of the Goudy Medieval font by Mentor Type, and they were using an acute accent instead of an apostrophe, which is missing from that version of the font, which would account for the blank spaces. At least for Will-o'-the-wisp, the database does have them removed. For everything else, they seem to be included in the database.

Given the context, I feel they should be included. Either way, I think they should be handled consistently across ABU, R, AN, AT.
Last edited by skibulk on 12 Dec 2013, 21:06, edited 5 times in total.

Posted by skibulk » 12 Dec 2013, 21:13

Wizards actually has a habbit of using an acute accent instead of using the correct right single quotation mark (bent apostrophe). Even modern cards implement it as the text from DotP video games confirm.

I'm not sure how you're handling these things in the database, but at least for these sets it might be wise to batch convert all right single quotation marks and typewriter apostrophes (straight apostrophe) into acute accents, for card names. Just a thought and it should be checked before comitting.
Last edited by skibulk on 12 Dec 2013, 21:22, edited 2 times in total.

Ticket details

• Ticket ID: 374
  • Project: Magic Album
  • Component: (unknown)
  • Project version: (unknown)
  • Priority: Normal
  • Severity: Normal
  • Assigned to: (unassigned)
  • Reported by: skibulk
  • Reporter's tickets: List all tickets
  • Reported on: 12 Dec 2013, 20:14
  • Last visited by LeaHarveyOswald » 18 Aug 2020, 19:21.

Login Form