It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:29

Text Size

Awaken Mechanic

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Awaken Mechanic

Postby Xander9009 » 17 Mar 2017, 08:46

So, I was trying to figure out why Awaken doesn't seem to work when I finally saw the pattern. I spent a couple of hours today messing around with it, only to discover it actually works exactly as expected in most any test environment, which makes it... "tricky" to debug. I eventually gave up for the night, but as I was playing with my awaken deck just now, I spotted it. It took entirely too long, but it's obvious in retrospect: the layer system.

Most lands have the ability to manually tap for mana. This should allow you to use awaken properly even before the below fixes are made.

The issue stems from the following:
On layer 5, Awaken checks to see if you can afford (for example) {4} {W} {U} (Roil Spout). If not, you can't activate the ability.
On layer 8, non-basic lands are granted their mana producing abilities.
Since the ability to produce isn't granted by the time it checks the ability's affordability, it doesn't count those lands.

We can't really change the awaken cards (they're already in a tricky state of affairs with regards to the layer system), so the lands are what will need to be changed. But why are they even on layer 8 to begin with? Because Riiak cleverly programmed the manual mana abilities to fall back to a default color (or the last produced, if possible) should the player find themselves unable to activate abilities (think Abeyance). This had to be done AFTER that ability was in effect (which happens on layer 6 in most cases). However, most of the lands actually don't have this functionality anymore and need to have it put back in (part of what I intend to do when I go through ALL mana producers like I was talking about in the non-basic lands thread).

So, how do we get them to have a fallback ability AND be able to interact properly with cards that check the player's ability to afford costs? The lands need to have two separate continuous actions. The first one grants the mana ability on layer 0 if it's currently set to produce mana. The second does the fall-back code on layer 8 if the land doesn't already have a mana ability.
Xander9009
Programmer

Return to 2014