It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:20

Text Size

Tiny Leaders format

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Tiny Leaders format

Postby fireshoes » 30 Dec 2014, 21:41

Both starcitygames.com and channelfireball.com had articles today about an emerging format called Tiny Leaders. I was wondering about the possibility of implementing Tiny Leaders on here. I would think it would be very similar to how Commander is done, but TL uses a 10-card sideboard, so we would have to figure out how to identify the Commander.

Official blog/rules/banlist:
http://tinyleaders.blogspot.com/p/tiny- ... ormat.html

http://www.channelfireball.com/home/rag ... y-leaders/
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/30 ... Magic.html
fireshoes

Re: Tiny Leaders format

Postby LevelX » 31 Dec 2014, 08:22

The most simple solution that comes to my mind would be to add the tiny commander name to the deck name so the format validator knows, which card is the commander.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby fireshoes » 04 Feb 2015, 04:33

Is there a "creating new formats guide" similar to the creating new sets guide that was posted? :)
fireshoes

Postby LevelX » 04 Feb 2015, 09:16

Sadly this does not exist.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby Jason » 06 Feb 2015, 13:27

Would love to see Tiny Leaders implemented in XMage.
Jason

Postby kleedrac » 19 Feb 2015, 22:32

LevelX wrote:Sadly this does not exist.
It absolutely should some day - I spent the last 2 hours digging through the git repo and feeling severely out of my depth :) If you want to give me a one-page tutorial I'll take a swing at it - else add my voice to the others saying we should extend Commander into Tiny Leaders :)
kleedrac

Postby TaonasSagara » 23 Feb 2015, 20:35

I am toying around with getting this format into the game, but keep running into issues when the server is loading up. Setting a breakpoint lets me see where the pointer gets set to null instead of the plugin, but I can't figure out why it is doing that. It keeps telling me to look in my plugins folder at Mage.Server/plugins ... which doesn't exist. Yet every other format generates a similar file path and works just fine.
TaonasSagara

Postby myersn024 » 04 Mar 2015, 14:42

I was working on my own implementation of Tiny Leaders before JRHerlehy's code was merged, and I was trying to use the deck name as the attribute for holding the commander's name. I even had what I believed to be a functioning deck validator written that allowed for the commander to be in the main board and a 10 card sideboard. I was looking to extend the functionality of JRHerlehy's code to allow for the sideboard, but I'm running into an issue accessing the deck name in the init function in the GameTinyLeadersImpl java file. As best I can tell from what digging I've done, it doesn't appear to be accessible from there... I may have missed something, however. The only idea I can come up with would be adding a deck name attribute to the PlayerImpl and then overloading the useDeck() function to include a deck name attribute. I may be over thinking this, but with my limited experience with the project, this is the best that I can come up with.

I'd love to hear any ideas that you guys have. I've fallen in love with the format, and I really want to develop this part of XMage further.
myersn024

Postby LevelX » 04 Mar 2015, 22:38

myersn024 wrote:I was working on my own implementation of Tiny Leaders before JRHerlehy's code was merged, and I was trying to use the deck name as the attribute for holding the commander's name. I even had what I believed to be a functioning deck validator written that allowed for the commander to be in the main board and a 10 card sideboard. I was looking to extend the functionality of JRHerlehy's code to allow for the sideboard, but I'm running into an issue accessing the deck name in the init function in the GameTinyLeadersImpl java file. As best I can tell from what digging I've done, it doesn't appear to be accessible from there... I may have missed something, however. The only idea I can come up with would be adding a deck name attribute to the PlayerImpl and then overloading the useDeck() function to include a deck name attribute. I may be over thinking this, but with my limited experience with the project, this is the best that I can come up with.

I'd love to hear any ideas that you guys have. I've fallen in love with the format, and I really want to develop this part of XMage further.
Added some logic to load the commander for Tiny Leaders format.
Didn't test it deep, but generally it should work.
https://github.com/magefree/mage/commit ... f90b2833e8
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby fireshoes » 05 Mar 2015, 00:25

I'll try it out some tonight. One thing I mentioned on one of the pull requests is that we will need to prevent the commander from being moved from the sideboard to the main deck during sideboarding. I am excited by the progress on this!
fireshoes

Postby myersn024 » 05 Mar 2015, 00:29

I just tested this, and it works. I would recommend making the comparison between the deck name and the card name ignore case. Also, during sideboarding, the deck editor ignores the deck name. In order to submit a deck for the second game, you have to make your changes, add the deck name back in, re-save, then submit.
myersn024

Postby myersn024 » 05 Mar 2015, 02:36

Ok, it appears I was wrong. When starting a Tiny Leaders game, the commander is not being pulled into the command zone.
myersn024

Postby fireshoes » 05 Mar 2015, 03:42

I just played a couple games and the commander was put in the zone properly for the computer and me, other than after sideboard if I didn't enter the name as you said above.
fireshoes

Postby LevelX » 05 Mar 2015, 13:42

I fixed the problem, that the deck name was lost after sideboarding.
And for me the commander was set to command zone, but I only tested with one deck/commander.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby fireshoes » 07 Mar 2015, 07:38

Still to do is to implement a Sultai Commander.

Tiny Leaders website wrote:Format Exclusive Card: One general is available for use to fill the colour identity hole left by no legendary creature existing with that colour identity and mana cost.

Sultai [Legendary Creature] UBG (2/2)

This is temporary, until the community or wizards comes up with or prints a legendary creature that fill our specifications.
LevelX suggested that we construct rules that if a player enters Sultai or Sultai Commander in the Deck Name field that the 2/2 creature with {U} {B} {G} cost is generated and put into the command zone. That way no artificial card is created that could be used in other formats.
fireshoes

Next

Return to Developers Talk