It is currently 10 Jun 2024, 12:42

Text Size

Chaos Draft implementation

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Re: MAGE Join the developers

Postby piratehunter » 21 Jun 2015, 18:51

hey guys.

I love xmage! thanks guys! recently I've really wanted to play chaos booster drafts, so I decided to code it up.

a chaos booster draft is one where a pack pool is created with random packs and randomly distributed. you draft with those. Typically you use 24 different sets, so the decks are super weird.

I have a working implementation of a chaos draft. I am a working computer engineer, but I'm pretty new to github and open source stuff. what is the process for testing/demoing the thing before it gets integrated into the final product? is there a code review process/ or unit test guidelines?

I've done a couple drafts vs the AI, but I haven't tried it with multiple human players.

I attached some screenshots for what I mean:
(the tooltip shows the full set name.)

thanks!
Attachments
chaos2.jpg
screenshot drafting
chaos3.jpg
screenshot
piratehunter

Chaos Draft implementation

Postby LevelX » 21 Jun 2015, 20:32

Hello piratehunter,

your implementations look very interesting and we like to merge the implementation.
A problem I see is the handling of the create tournament window if the user has a smaller vertical screen size.
It's already now a problem with 16 players and smaller screen resoltutions.

So I would prefer a UI solution for set selection that can be fold in/out or is handled in a extra window.

The normal way to do more comlex changes is to create a new branch or a new cloned repository. Than others can checkout the branch/repository and test the changes or inspect the code.

After that (or for less complex additions) you can do a pull request that can be merged in the main repository.
If you are member of the xmage developers team you can by yourself merge your branch/model into the main repository.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby piratehunter » 22 Jun 2015, 01:14

ok, thanks for the feedback. what about the screenshot that is attached. right now it uses a custom selection manager so you click to toggle the sets.
Attachments
chaos4.jpg
piratehunter

Postby LevelX » 22 Jun 2015, 09:55

piratehunter wrote:ok, thanks for the feedback. what about the screenshot that is attached. right now it uses a custom selection manager so you click to toggle the sets.
Concerning the needed vertical size for sure a better solution.
Are you using a fork of the xmage repository?

If you're finished with your work you should do a pull request of your changes to the xmage repository.
https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests/

Regards
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby piratehunter » 22 Jun 2015, 21:59

cool, originally I just pulled from your branch. after that I created a fork. so I somehow need to get my changes into my fork then do a pull request. I will do that tonight.
piratehunter

Re: Chaos Draft implementation

Postby LoneFox » 04 Jul 2015, 19:36

Tried to test the random draft on the public server. Drafting ended and deck construction started after only two packs. :?
Also, there are some UI issues:
  • "Deck Type" column in the tables list shows all the packs in the pool. There is no room for such long list there, and people also seemed to be confused by it. I think it should read simply "Limited (Random draft)" or something similar.
  • Instead, the pack pool should be visible in the "waiting for players" dialog and perhaps also somewhere during drafting.
  • The pack selection dialog opens on the upper left corner of the desktop, where it is partially under window manager's taskbar (if you keep the taskbar on top, which is the One True Right Place™ for it).
  • It would be nice to have an easy way to select all complete or almost complete (say, less than 10 cards missing) sets in the pack selection dialog.
LoneFox
Programmer

Postby piratehunter » 05 Jul 2015, 21:07

LoneFox wrote:Tried to test the random draft on the public server. Drafting ended and deck construction started after only two packs. :?
Also, there are some UI issues:
  • "Deck Type" column in the tables list shows all the packs in the pool. There is no room for such long list there, and people also seemed to be confused by it. I think it should read simply "Limited (Random draft)" or something similar.
  • Instead, the pack pool should be visible in the "waiting for players" dialog and perhaps also somewhere during drafting.
  • The pack selection dialog opens on the upper left corner of the desktop, where it is partially under window manager's taskbar (if you keep the taskbar on top, which is the One True Right Place™ for it).
  • It would be nice to have an easy way to select all complete or almost complete (say, less than 10 cards missing) sets in the pack selection dialog.
I haven't been able to reproduce the issue you said. it might have something to do with the packs being different sizes, I didn't do enough due diligence about checking that the pack sizes are all sane. I'll put some more checks in and hopefully you don't hit that issue. I'll also try a couple more things to see if I can reproduce it

as for your suggestions, I agree:
  • good idea :), I'll make the change
  • also, good idea :), I'll make the change
  • ok, I'll make the pack selection dialog Top right corner match its parent's top right corner.
  • more good ideas, I'll dig around in the source for a good way to programmatically determine if a set is sane enough to be included in the draft.
piratehunter

Postby LoneFox » 06 Jul 2015, 05:36

piratehunter wrote:I haven't been able to reproduce the issue you said. it might have something to do with the packs being different sizes, I didn't do enough due diligence about checking that the pack sizes are all sane. I'll put some more checks in and hopefully you don't hit that issue. I'll also try a couple more things to see if I can reproduce it
Now that I think about it, a few days ago I was in RTR block draft, where drafting Dragon's Maze ended and Gatecrash packs were opened after only 5 picks. I think someone in the chat said that there had been a pack with fewer cards than normal (I didn't see it myself, but of course I saw only 5 of the 8 packs in the draft). Maybe there is a bug in pack generation that is causing these problems?
LoneFox
Programmer

Postby LevelX » 06 Jul 2015, 06:32

Thought about an additional option for the chaos draft.

Maybe it would be nice to be able to set that the booster selection is still random, but in each round all players got the same set. So it would be like a draft with (only) three different sets, but randomly chosen from the selected sets.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby piratehunter » 15 Jul 2015, 05:51

my latest pull includes a fix to the issue LoneFox saw.

and some minor improvements to how it shows up in the lobby:

I still want to do:
1. It would be nice to have an easy way to select all complete or almost complete (say, less than 10 cards missing) sets in the pack selection dialog.
2. the pack pool should be visible in the "waiting for players" dialog and perhaps also somewhere during drafting.

for this idunno, maybe. :p
LevelX wrote:Thought about an additional option for the chaos draft.

Maybe it would be nice to be able to set that the booster selection is still random, but in each round all players got the same set. So it would be like a draft with (only) three different sets, but randomly chosen from the selected sets.
you can do this doing a normal draft and just picking sets by some other random means. I actually joined a draft where someone had done that, I'm not sure how they "randomized" the choice though.
piratehunter

Postby piratehunter » 29 Jul 2015, 17:56

In the know iaauea for this release "Some problems (CPU load) with booster creation of Random Booster generation (deactivated currently on xmage.de)"

Doea any one have more details on this?. I will attempt to reduce the sever side complexity. I'm curious if the issue was draft creation (before the drafts fire),the loading between the packs, drafting or the games part of the tournament.
piratehunter

Postby LevelX » 29 Jul 2015, 18:37

piratehunter wrote:In the know iaauea for this release "Some problems (CPU load) with booster creation of Random Booster generation (deactivated currently on xmage.de)"

Doea any one have more details on this?. I will attempt to reduce the sever side complexity. I'm curious if the issue was draft creation (before the drafts fire),the loading between the packs, drafting or the games part of the tournament.
It was the endless iteration in booster creation that should be fixed with the next update.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Return to Developers Talk