It is currently 24 Mar 2017, 04:14

Text Size

Official Beleren Fonts Here

Discuss Card Scans and Other Artwork Here

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Official Beleren Fonts Here

Postby skibulk » 02 Jul 2014, 01:33

We need one person to download and extract fonts from 24 pdfs. I can post links and directions.

We need another person to combine and auto-kern ~50 fonts into 2 fonts using FontForge or similar.

Any volunteers?

We could compile 98% of Beleren Bold (Used for card name & type) and Beleren SmallCaps-Bold (Used for artist credit) using pdf extracts. I've found 4 PDFs which each contain a subset of the Beleren font. Each PDF also has FR, IT, DE, ES, and PT versions, which cover different letters than their EN counterparts and also include accents. It would take a lot of work, but it's feasible.

Edit - here's how to get the fonts:

http://wizards.com/ContentResources/Wiz ... _en_US.pdf

For the above url, modify the suffix for each language: fr_FR, de_DE, it_IT, es_ES, pt_BR

Next visit http://wpn.wizards.com/en/resources/rules-documents and download all the documents containing the Beleren Font.

Next change the language code in the previous url to each of FR, IT, DE, ES, and PT and download the translated documents.

Lastly download and unzip MuPDF to C:\mupdf\
Place the PDFs in this directory
Run windows "cmd".
Type "cd C:\mupdf"
Type "mutool.exe extract input.pdf", where input.pdf is one of the pdfs you downloaded.
Collect all files with "Beleren" in their name.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention the most important thing -

Use MuPDF 1.4, not 1.5! There seems to be a bug in the new version. I suggest MuPDF because it seems to extract all of the fonts that Font Forge can't.

Download them here:
Attachments
beleren-webfonts.zip
(69.44 KiB) Downloaded 8957 times
Last edited by skibulk on 05 Jul 2014, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Re: Help Compile New Beleren Fonts

Postby Randomage » 03 Jul 2014, 16:49

Downloaded all the english pdf, extracted the fonts (some had the glyphs lose association with the correct letter they represent, but the glyph is still there), all through CLI, so it can eventually be scripted and repeated.

But I'm running in some issues:
  1. As I said, some of the letter <==> glyph association was lost.
  2. FontForge's Windows client keeps crashing and I don't know if I can merge things via CLI, specially for the ones that are not associated.

If you can help, I can try and progress further.
Randomage

Postby skibulk » 03 Jul 2014, 22:17

@Randomage

I've read that Font Forge for Windows is glitchy like that. We might need somebody who has paid, quality typographer's software. I think there are people floating around MTG Salvation. I can reach out to them and see if they'd assemble the fonts. If you extract the foreign pdf fonts too, zip them up, and post them, I'll post the archive for them to take a look.

It looks like there are a few more than 24 after all, I'm guessing 36 ish.
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Postby Randomage » 03 Jul 2014, 23:24

It is REALLY easy for me to fetch the pdfs and extract the fonts, gathering the pdf urls is a bit tedious tho, if you can provide me with that, I'll have the zip with all the contents in no time.
Randomage

Postby Randomage » 04 Jul 2014, 10:20

Woot, the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog, for Beleren-Bold if you know what I mean.

I just need to figure out how to add the variants of the lowercase letters that close words.
Randomage

Postby Randomage » 04 Jul 2014, 17:35

Missing a bunch of glyphs, most importantly numbers 6-9. Delete if you feel like you need to.

https://mega.co.nz/#!gFtEFBbZ!GLfFPn1ly ... w_QQ8Q2vig
Randomage

Postby skibulk » 05 Jul 2014, 00:39

Hold the presses! I just made a remarkable discovery - Official Beleren Webfonts! (link above) I'm sorry that all this work was in vein.
Last edited by skibulk on 14 Jul 2014, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Re: Official Beleren Fonts Here

Postby Randomage » 05 Jul 2014, 01:29

Hmm, this looks incomplete, there's no alternate versions of the final glyphs.
Randomage

Postby skibulk » 05 Jul 2014, 08:37

Maybe they cut some out to reduce the file size. Can you post an example of what an "alternate" is and how it's used?
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Postby Randomage » 05 Jul 2014, 11:47

As far as I know, Beleren Bold (I haven't studied the smallcaps yet) has 5 final alternate glyphs (which is confirmed in the opentype structure of the webfont), f h k m n all have a flat/square/horizontal base as a standard character, but if they are the last letter of a word, the rightmost "leg" ends up in an oblique/slanted/pointy line, you can see it around in words like GobliN, GarruK etc.

Fun fact: yesterday I knew NOTHING about glyph variants and all of that.

While assembling the ripped font I discovered that all the ttf who lost the association had those odd Final alternate Glyphs in them, which paired with my obsessive curiosity led me to learn all that cr... stuff.

Creating the Beleren rip might have been superfluous in some aspects, but not all, apparently.
Randomage

Postby Randomage » 05 Jul 2014, 11:52

Just checked the SmallCaps, and it's possibly even worse, it has a ton of final variants:
F G H I J K P Q R X f g h i j k p q r x uniFB03 uniFB04

uniFB03 uniFB04 are the ligatured version of "FFI" and "FFL"
Randomage

Postby Pichoro » 06 Jul 2014, 16:21

Hello. I was working on putting together a version of this font from PDF as well, at the same time this was happening, and in fact, was about to publicly release it. Personally, I'm interested in having a more complete version, not settling for an imcomplete "web version".

Do you know how to add the end glyphs to the font? What software did you use? Personally, I am using FontCreator 5.6, which admittedly is like 7 years old now.
Pichoro

Postby Randomage » 06 Jul 2014, 17:52

FontForge and FontLab can both do it. The webfont already has the code in it for that specific task, it's either using the .fina variants, or .calt variants (they are OpenType options).
Randomage

Postby vituscze » 10 Jul 2014, 03:30

Actually, it seems the alternative varians are even more complicated. Not only are they used when they are the last character of the word, they are also used when the character following them has a part below the baseline (descender is the technical term, I believe); those are "g", "j", "p", "q" and "y" for practical purposes (though I can't confirm "j").

For example: act oN iMpulse (can be seen very clearly on the higher-res image from M15 spoilers), mass calciFy, pHyrexiaN revoker, necromancer's stocKpile, etc.

There might be more gotchas, but so far I've only discovered this one. Also, I've no idea about small caps verions since any text in that font is nigh unreadable on Gatherer images.
vituscze

Postby Randomage » 17 Jul 2014, 04:16

In case anyone wanted to rip the font from dotp2015, it's using the webfont version, so don't bother.
Randomage

Next

Return to Pictures