It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:35

Text Size

Manalyzer and hybrid symbols

Discuss anything concerning this site and its contents

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Manalyzer and hybrid symbols

Postby Goblin Hero » 14 Sep 2010, 10:58

During deck building it is a good idea to use color mana symbols to calculate optimal land count. MWS and MTG Studio both have so-called Manalyzer tool. But what to to with hydrid mana? How to calculate it?
If a card costs {GW} should I increment both green and white mana count by 1 or maybe by 0.5???
What to do with {2W} cost???
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Manalyzer and hybrid symbols

Postby Bog Wraith » 14 Sep 2010, 22:01

If your showing in the calculation what colour mana is being produced, then I think you have to show each one. If it simply is a total calculation of the mana cost regardless of colour like in a mana curve, then you could use .5.

Is there a way for you to show what colour mana is being counted by using the respective mana symbols in the GUI that will be used for this? If so, then just showing the mana symbols with the amounts for each would be fine.
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 16 Sep 2010, 21:11

But if you're doing a mono-green deck, then you have to count it as 1.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby tanthorjen » 06 Dec 2010, 03:31

I think it all depends on the purpose of counting the mana symbols. If we are trying to determine the number of lands to include for casting the card, then the final conclusion should be that a {GW} symbol should always make the card easier to cast (or have no effect), as either {G} or {W} can be used. The only way to come to this conclusion is to consider both {G} and {W} mana sources together when analyzing the deck.
tanthorjen
DEVELOPER

Postby silly freak » 06 Dec 2010, 20:39

probably a good base though, although it becomes more complicated with lands producing multiple types of mana:

In a monogreen deck, any green mana symbol can essentially be seen as colorless, since every mana source in your deck can satisfy it.
The same goes for hybrid in a two color deck.
so let's say you have 50% Plains and 50% Forest. {GW} can be counted as {1}, but {W} is twice as hard to satisfy, because only half of the sources fit.

Another Example:
Lands: 8 Forest, 8 Mountain, 3 Swamp
Cost: {1} {R} {BG}
1+19/8+19/11 ~ 5.1
8 and 11 are the number of appropriate mana sources, 19 is the total number. Since the card becomes harder to cast the less lands you have, I take the inverse: 19/8. If my interpretation is right, this means you need to draw 5 lands in average to have the right mana to cast the card.

This, weighed with the converted mana cost, should be an indicator on how well a deck can cast the card. optimizing the mana distribution means to take the reverse approach and minimize the total weight of all spells in the deck. The algorithm could be tuned by adjusting some coefficients, e.g. weighting cheap creature spells more than others.
___

where's the "trust me, that will work!" switch for the compiler?
Laterna Magica - blog, forum, project, 2010/09/06 release!
silly freak
DEVELOPER

Return to General Discussion