It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:22

Text Size

Attempting to play Archenemy

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Attempting to play Archenemy

Postby denialofself » 04 Jan 2014, 17:46

Got 3.0 installed seemingly correct. I can see all the cards and game types in the deck editor (Archenemy , EDH, Planechase)

But I created an Archenemy deck with the placeholder card in it, and launching a match with that deck (Or the preconstructed Archenemy decks) just starts a regular match with me at 40 health and the schemes resolving every round randomly versus a single opponent.

What am I missing? I've searched the forums but without any luck. The one hit I get describing how to play (other than include the placeholder in your deck) is for Forge and not Manalink 3.0.

Thanks in advance!
denialofself

Re: Attempting to play Archenemy

Postby Korath » 10 Jan 2014, 23:59

Manalink is always two-player, if that's what you mean. That's not ever going to change; it's how the game engine was designed, and everything from the graphics layout to the internal data to essentially every individual card that's been programmed have continued to assume a two-player game. Also recall that there weren't any formal multiplayer rules in 1996 when it was released.

Other than adding the Archenemy card to a deck, you can also turn on the Archenemy option in config.txt to make the AI always be an archenemy (so you can assign random decks to him); it makes a nice change of pace to go from winning 90%+ of duels to losing 90%+ of them.

Playing as the archenemy against a non-archenemy AI is a wash, though. I wonder that's fixable somehow, maybe by giving the AI two turns for every one you take or something like that.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Return to ManaLink 3.0