It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:17

Text Size

Tournaments

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Tournaments

Postby Fizanko » 15 Feb 2014, 20:59

I like the Tournament gametype a lot in Manalink, it's my favorite way to play the game (with the best of 3 matches by rounds), as you get a completely new and unique deck thanks to the sealed pack system.

I even won my first tournament with an interesting deck in which i had the luck to get Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite a card that can pull the whole battle toward the side playing it, in fact i think most of my wins in the tournament had to do with that card.

Now a couple of question :
- you get a sealed pack and boosters , meaning you will have really cards randomly to setup your deck, but is the AI following the same rule ?
I mean does the AI is having to deal with random sealed packs ?

- between 2 rounds, the AI mention it is editing/rearranging its deck, does it mean it really change some card from the ones he has taken from the sealed pack but not placed in his deck, or is it something else ?

- at some point of the final, the AI played a Special Effect card, what is it ? there is no text description.
It just stayed when he played it and disappeared after that.

- during the 2nd round in the final, the AI played Wall of Shards on his battlefield.
And turns after turns his card never ceased to give me more lives, to the point it was rather insane as we all start with 20 lives and he gave me more than 100 (screenshot attached).
Is this a problem of the card by the AI code ? As after a couple of turn i think the logical move would have been for it to bury the card instead of continuously giving me so much.

The nice thing i like from tournament is that when it's finished, you can go directly to the deck builder that will have your tournament deck displayed and you can then save it and put them at use in duels against AI .

Great to build some really random decks from sealed packs.

Anyone here like to play tournament with the AI ?
Attachments
Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Re: Tournaments

Postby Aswan jaguar » 16 Feb 2014, 08:40

- between 2 rounds, the AI mention it is editing/rearranging its deck, does it mean it really change some card from the ones he has taken from the sealed pack but not placed in his deck, or is it something else ?
The sealed tournament rules allow AI and you to edit your deck to fit better with the needs of the battle - replace some cards with others you have already in the packs you have opened.

- at some point of the final, the AI played a Special Effect card, what is it ? there is no text description.
It just stayed when he played it and disappeared after that.
The special effect card and others Effect or Legacy cards are not real cards that can be played are helpers of certain card so that their effect or reminder stays on the battlefield longer than the actual cards are.Or like the Rules Engine & Deadbox card that are used so that some abilities can be played or tuned through them as the original game can't handle a lot of the later abilities WOTC released and the Devs found ways so that we can have all these great cards to play with.

About Wall of Shards it is a bad AI behaviour and you can report it to bug forum to "Requests for AI improvements" topic and maybe the devs can think of a way to make AI react better.

And yes Sealed and Draft are me preferred ways to play but as Sealed development has not been modified to include properly new sets I prefer Draft despite it is not tournament like and automated.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Korath » 16 Feb 2014, 10:37

AI for Wall of Shards assumes it wouldn't be in a deck at all unless it was built such that the life gain wouldn't matter - milling or False Cure or Kavu Predator or the like.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Fizanko » 16 Feb 2014, 13:59

Thanks for the explanations.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Return to ManaLink 3.0