It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 04:58

Text Size

EDH/Commander mode

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

EDH/Commander mode

Postby xXxBretWeedxXx » 23 Feb 2014, 02:58

First, you guys have done a wonderful job coding all the cards and I'd like to say thank you!

I was wondering however if there is a way for me to disable the banned list for EDH mode. I'd like to be able to play Coalition Relic in 3 color decks and City of brsss and similar cards like that but it's not possible because it considers them as having all mana symbols. It seems the easiest way would be to disable that part of the rules and self manage. Is this possible?

thanks!
xXxBretWeedxXx

Re: EDH/Commander mode

Postby Aswan jaguar » 23 Feb 2014, 06:49

Which update do you have? These cards should have been fixed in the latest patch and as there is no legal restriction should be available to use them.(the ones that have to be restricted are the ones with mana symbols in their mana cost or rules text that are banned so none of those you mention).
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby BAgate » 23 Feb 2014, 10:00

Should have been doesn't mean was. Most EDH bugs have never been checked to confirm if they were fixed (I do most of the checking and don't play EDH).

In any case, this seems similar to a bug reported as fixed here that is about 4 pages away from getting checked.
Working on: housekeeping and archived reports
BAgate
Tester

Postby Nexhro » 26 Feb 2014, 00:29

xXxBretWeedxXx wrote:I'd like to be able to play Coalition Relic in 3 color decks and City of brsss and similar cards like that but it's not possible because it considers them as having all mana symbols.

thanks!
I can 100% assure you that both cards you mentioned can be used in any EDH deck in the current version, Born of the Gods v2 and have worked like that for quite a while now (that means I've been able to use them with any commander since at least 4 or 5 patches before the current one.)

I can furthermore confirm what AswanJaguar said: You can use cards like City of Brass, Chromatic Lantern or Polluted Delta in an EDH deck with any combination of colors or in monocolored EDH decks. What doesn't work, for example, would be stuff like Momentary Blink in a mono-white or white-black deck - the commander would have to at least have white and blue in its mana cost/rules text (=color identity.)
So, basically, if there's mana symbols in the rules text section of a card and those symbols' color(s) are not present in your commander's color identity, you won't be able to use that card with that commander. If the color is simply referred to like on Bloodhall Ooze or Ring of Valkas, it's different.

In the two cases you mentioned, City and Relic, there's no mana symbols on either card, so if neither of them is deemed legal in your 3-colored EDH decks, you must be using a rather old version of Manalink (or you've managed to brick it by modifying core files.)
Nexhro

Postby kubiac470 » 07 May 2014, 15:17

I have got a question please.
Why in edh mode we can t play with Primeval Titan ? . In the tournement we can t play with it. like : EDH1 @ BoM9 (Annecy) commander with Marath, Will of the Wild deck.
in banlist I don t find it.

thanks for your answer
kubiac470

Postby Aswan jaguar » 07 May 2014, 15:36

This is the official site for EDH/Commander mode and Primeval Titan is indeed banned.
http://www.dragonhighlander.net/rules.php
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby kubiac470 » 07 May 2014, 16:15

ok thanks for your answer but I don t understand why in EDH2 @ BoM9 (Annecy) the player can use this card.....
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=7271&f=EDH
kubiac470

Postby Aswan jaguar » 07 May 2014, 19:37

In the link you attached there is no Primeval Titan in that deck.Even if there is in another deck maybe it was submitted-played when Primeval Titan was not banned.
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Nexhro » 08 May 2014, 00:43

kubiac470 wrote:ok thanks for your answer but I don t understand why in EDH2 @ BoM9 (Annecy) the player can use this card.....
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=7271&f=EDH
Hello kubiac470, you're right its in the Jenara, Marath and Mimeoplasm decklists from that tournament to which you provided the link. Mtgotop8.com does not publish the results of sanctioned tournaments exclusively, though, and there hasn't been any DCI sanctioned Commander tournaments I'm aware of. If you click the link beneath the number of attendants and date, you'll see that it takes you to a tcgtrade.com forum thread where those results and decklists had originally been published.
Well, I don't speak French, but since "Prime Time" was banned in September 2012 and this tournament is fairly recent, I'm 99% sure that the tournament organizer(s) decided to go with a house rule banned list, which any organizer of a non-sanctioned tournament is allowed to do. The fact that almost everyone on that list uses Wasteland, Dust Bowl and/or Tectonic Edge, but I can't find a single Strip Mine further supports that idea, because you can buy around 20 Strip Mines for the price of one Wasteland and Mine is not on the official banlist (and strictly superior to both Wasteland and Tectonic Edge, of course).

The current banned list for the Commander format (which is maintained by an external committee rather than by Wizards of the Coast themselves, in case you didn't know) can be found here.
Nexhro

Postby kubiac470 » 08 May 2014, 05:57

ok I understand now....
thanks
kubiac470

Return to ManaLink 3.0