It is currently 15 May 2024, 18:06

Text Size

New Launcher with GUI - Alpha testers needed

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: New Launcher with GUI - Alpha testers needed

Postby stassy » 03 Sep 2009, 06:26

You need to add in the 1st step that you have to double click on the file LauncherGUI.vbs copied in the Magic directory in order to test the new launcher. It's obvious for some but "extract the Launcher in your Magic folder (like usually I think) and run a Challenge or Draft Mode." would make think to run the old Launcher.exe

step 1 > ok, a window appear and ask for which mode, selection is done and game is running as usual. However no extra ini file is created, only Challenge.txt was modified.

step 2 > I just moved the test file on the desktop, ran it, windows pop up that ask for magic path directory then mode choice pop up then error when choosing any of the 3 choices Windows Script Host error "directory not found error " which point to those lines :

Select Case GetChoice
Case 1 objFSO.CopyFile strInstallPath & "\flag.txt", strInstallPath & "\draft.txt"
Case 2 objFSO.CopyFile strInstallPath & "\flag.txt", strInstallPath & "\challenge.txt"
End Select

CommandLine = """" & strInstallPath & "\magic.exe"""
WshShell.Run CommandLine, 1, False
Line 65, 66 and 70 for choice respectively 1,2 and 3
Again no file were created.

Config
winXP SP2
french
no antivirus installed
using launcher 0.21
stassy

Postby Squee » 03 Sep 2009, 09:44

Thanks a lot for your report.
First of all, I'll modify the first post according to your nice suggestion.
[HS @stassy]
C'est pas toujours simple d'expliquer une procédure à des néophytes, surtout en anglais :oops: Merci pour ton aide.
[/HS off]

step 1 : the launcher never creates an ini file if it's located in Magic folder = it doesn't need it since it allready knows the right path

step 2 : I really don't know why it can't create launcher.ini file under XP :? Did it create an empty launcher.ini file like jatill or nothing at all ?

It would be very nice if an Windows Vista user could try it and reports...
Squee

Postby stassy » 03 Sep 2009, 10:49

Nothing at all, will try on a win98SE just for the fun :mrgreen:

Y a quelques français qui sont encore passionnés par ML2, mathusa, toi, moi et quelques autres, ça fait plaisir :D
stassy

Postby Squee » 03 Sep 2009, 12:03

This launcher will make me crazy :x
I just reinstall Windows XP SP2 to try it and it works very good in all tests :shock:
I run it from desktop : it created the launcher.ini file and launched the game without problem (in all mode avaible). I tested it with "folder prompt" and with Magic installed (so the launcher looks in the registry), within Magic folder and from desktop = all tests have succeed #-o
I used so many times scripts with ini files under XP (in my job) : I simply don't understand what's happenning... :(
Like jatill had said, it's no big deal since it seems to work good from Magic folder...
I'll wait up to this weekend (I still hope having more alpha reports), and I'll start working on the beta release.

PS : j'avoue que je pensais pas qu'on était aussi nombreux :D
Squee

Postby stassy » 03 Sep 2009, 13:27

Tried several other areas and I think I narrowed it a bit more, you seems to have a problem with space in the path dir :

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Bureau\LauncherGUI.vbs
C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Bureau\Folder\LauncherGUI.vbs

Give an error and no file generated after mode choice selection.

C:\Temp\LauncherGUI.vbs
Give an error but create a file launcher.ini with the dir path C:\Program Files\Magic

Also for a common user it should be nice to completely cancel the path directory search after you hit cancel or try to close the window, because it's very frustrating when are bugged to find the exact path of the dirgame
stassy

Previous

Return to ManaLink 3.0