It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:18

Text Size

The next version of manalink

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: The next version of manalink

Postby Snacko » 29 Dec 2009, 11:20

The problem lies in all those static arrays that load and store cards.dat data ex. drawcardlib.dll has char Source[303992]; (gigantic array creation on the stack is just asking for trouble) and when this storage runs out you overwrite stack which causes a crash at some point (stack corruption).

Same goes for Magic.exe, however if you want to move the arrays you need to update all the calls to them (and there's quite many of them).

Rewriting the whole software would be best as you would know why and where it's crashing. It would be also easy to patch, however the amount of works is comparable to writing your own MtG game, which I suppose is more attractive to people than rewriting and old piece of code.
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby Bog Wraith » 29 Dec 2009, 15:14

Well then, unless folks are willing to write their own version from scratch, which seems highly doubtful, "The Module" seems like the best way to go.

No, it's not perfect, but it works and it allows for continued development & addition of blocks both past & future.
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby gmzombie » 29 Dec 2009, 16:27

with the call moves is that like what we did with the pic to bmps. example say the call that was in the deckdll.dll was CALL DECKDLL.dll 0123456 and we changed it to run like this CALL 0466720 which runs out of the magic.exe so that means that magic.exe is a dependant on the dll so that it could run correctly. is that an example of a call update
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby blotto » 31 Dec 2009, 18:59

I seem to remember there being a card searching program that you can download somewhere on this forum (similar to the "Gatherer" database online). I'm not a programer so this might be a stupid suggestion, but what if you could create a version of that card searching program that could manage the card data base or card pool? I'm assuming the eventual goal here is to program all of the cards currently available in the Magic series (however long this may take). It's probably what, 10 times the size allowed in this program? So going back to what someone just suggested, what if this other program could add and remove cards automatically in and out of the pool being used by the Magic game. Kind of like Windows Explorer you could find the cards you are looking for and just drag and drop. So basically ALL if the cards could be programed and downloaded into this other program database. You would then load up the other program to search through your current 2000 card list and add or remove cards from it from the (less say 10000 card list). Then you can basically take out the cards you don't want or never use and replace them cards you do want. The card pool editor can manage where those actual files go back to so the program runs correctly.
One problem I forsee would be the original decks that were created may not run if you remove certain cards. But maybe there could be a way to lock out certain decks if the game can't find the cards it needs to run them. Like Challenge mode does when you try to use cards that aren't Vintage.
Does this make any since?
blotto

Postby Gargaroz » 02 Jan 2010, 13:52

After the latest update, the available uncoded CSV slots are finished, so on the next updates we'll be forced to overwrite some junk.
For the future, I think is a good idea to leave all the complete sets only in the Limited version and proceed to eliminate all the unplayable cards from Costructed version. This will make a lot of room for new cards / old cards that are curretly missing. But I foresee some problems when we'll reach the point in which we'll be forced to remove cards like Sengir Vampire or Shivan Dragon too...
Opinions ?
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

Postby mathusalem » 02 Jan 2010, 14:16

my thouyght is. do we need so many new cards in the constructed version now ?

yes it is filled, but there is now very little to add.

of course, we all want to add this or that but we have been debating about the possibility to ilement a tool for each to customize his or her constructed version out of a pool of 2000.

maybe it is time to think hard about that tool.

anyway the question that is burning my lips these days is " how can I swtich cards between the two versions ? as there are cards in the limited version that I would like in the constructed version"
mathusalem

Postby jatill » 02 Jan 2010, 14:35

mathusalem wrote:of course, we all want to add this or that but we have been debating about the possibility to ilement a tool for each to customize his or her constructed version out of a pool of 2000.

maybe it is time to think hard about that tool.

anyway the question that is burning my lips these days is " how can I swtich cards between the two versions ? as there are cards in the limited version that I would like in the constructed version"
That tool is my next big project. It requires that I learn VB though, so if I am successful, it will still take a couple months to implement. In the mean time, people can keep adding more cards and removing chaff, so long as everything appears in at least 1 version still.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Bog Wraith » 02 Jan 2010, 15:09

Yes, but what constitutes chaff? We need some kind of list that maybe we can run a forum poll on to get the input from everyone who wishes to do so.

I understand that this is one way to deal with the constructed lot of 2000, but I hope there is support for the "Module" additions as well. I strongly believe that this is still a very cool way to play and it is proven that it can work. Please folks, don't forget about this option!
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Gargaroz » 02 Jan 2010, 15:12

mathusalem wrote:my thouyght is. do we need so many new cards in the constructed version now ?

yes it is filled, but there is now very little to add.
Are you joking, right ?
The most ambitious projects regarding Manalink that I have is to implement Suspend (probaly doable, looking at Oubliette), Morph (very tough, I tried and failed) and Madness (no idea if this is doable). If we succeed, there will be many cards to add.
And, even if we fail, there's A LOT of cards that were played in Extended or Block and never reached Manalink.
And there are the funny, unusual and "legendary" cards too (Tombstone Stairwell, Infernal Genesis, the two Pheldagriff, the Legenday heroes from the old stoyline and so on).
And on February we'll have Worldwake. From the 6 cards that are already spoiled, almost 5 are to be added (the land is junk, IMHO).
So we need all the slots we could have, believe me.
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

Postby jatill » 02 Jan 2010, 15:38

Bog Wraith wrote:Yes, but what constitutes chaff? We need some kind of list that maybe we can run a forum poll on to get the input from everyone who wishes to do so.
I guess my point is that it doesn't matter what is removed so much, as long as I get that "custom 2000" thing working eventually. (and as long as the removed cards are still in the limited version).

So now let's say that this editor exists. They there will be 3 versions of the game for everyone to play
1) Constructed, which will be the "best" 2000 cards according to the programmer's opinions.
2) Limited, which just has complete sets for draft and sealed
3) Custom, which will be different for each person based on which 2000 cards they wish to play with (chosen from the other 2 versions).

THEN, we could add all new cards to a new module, call it say "library of cards". The editor could be used to copy cards from that module into (1) and (3), as people see fit. The gist is that we are bending the 2000 card limit, so long as we only need versions with 2000 cards at a time.

PS: in reality, each version will actually only be about 1500 custom cards, since certain cards are tied to their ids, and putting other cards in those ids will cause weird bugs. (ex: if I put Thallid into the Bayou slot, creatures with Forestwalk would be able to attack unblocked if you had Thallid in play).
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Bog Wraith » 02 Jan 2010, 16:23

OK, that sounds good!

For me, the important thing is to not waste your, or anyone else who codes, time. I want you folks spending that time coming up with all the great new additions that you do and to continue in that vain both with future MTG blocks , as well as coding any of the older blocks's cards that the game engine can handle.

I like the customization angle, and as I've stated, love the notion of Block specific modules. As long as any of these implementations can always be applied to all 3 variations of play; the Constructed, Limited and Sealed functions of ManaLink, the variety and re-playability of our game will be endless, and that is mighty 8) 8) 8) 8) !
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Gargaroz » 02 Jan 2010, 21:42

jatill wrote:PS: in reality, each version will actually only be about 1500 custom cards, since certain cards are tied to their ids, and putting other cards in those ids will cause weird bugs. (ex: if I put Thallid into the Bayou slot, creatures with Forestwalk would be able to attack unblocked if you had Thallid in play).
A list of similar occurrences must be included in the Wiki, IMHO. Can we consider the whole "base set" intouchable ?
----
Gargaroz
Programmer

Postby jatill » 02 Jan 2010, 21:46

Gargaroz wrote:
jatill wrote:PS: in reality, each version will actually only be about 1500 custom cards, since certain cards are tied to their ids, and putting other cards in those ids will cause weird bugs. (ex: if I put Thallid into the Bayou slot, creatures with Forestwalk would be able to attack unblocked if you had Thallid in play).
A list of similar occurrences must be included in the Wiki, IMHO. Can we consider the whole "base set" intouchable ?
Hopefully I'll be able to code these weird exceptions into the set editor so people won't have to be aware of them ahead of time.

Here are some "untouchable" cards:
-Cards that use counters other than +1/+1 counters.
-Lands with basic land types
-Cards that reference other cards by name (ex: token generators), and the cards they name
-Cards that produce a different color of mana than the color of the card
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Gargaroz » 03 Jan 2010, 23:21

How can I get list of id + card name from the CSV ?
When I'll have it, I'll put together a list of "may-go" and then pass it to Jatill that can expunge all the "exceptions". So I can have an idea of how space we currently have available.
----
Gargaroz
Programmer

Postby mathusalem » 04 Jan 2010, 00:10

it's sad to see cards go. :?
mathusalem

PreviousNext

Return to ManaLink 3.0