It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:50

Text Size

Dominion (by Rio Grande Games)

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Dominion (by Rio Grande Games)

Postby jatill » 09 Mar 2010, 17:25

DrLambda wrote:That is awesome. But you should be careful, because Dominion is also available at Brettspielewelt, which is probably the holder of rights for the online version of Dominion.
I figure I'm good since that version is for online play, and mine is for AI play. Kind of like Magic Online vs Manalink :) I've e-mailed Rio Grande Games for their opinion, but they haven't come back with anything yet.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Boom2010 » 09 Mar 2010, 17:33

jatill wrote:
DrLambda wrote:That is awesome. But you should be careful, because Dominion is also available at Brettspielewelt, which is probably the holder of rights for the online version of Dominion.
I figure I'm good since that version is for online play, and mine is for AI play. Kind of like Magic Online vs Manalink :) I've e-mailed Rio Grande Games for their opinion, but they haven't come back with anything yet.
Ah!! I thought I saw somewhere that "they" (not necessarily Rio Grande) were working on a computer version. Might be a C&D notice on its way?

Edit: Or it might be that the designer okay's this.. Fingers crossed!
Boom2010

Postby mcdog » 09 Mar 2010, 18:29

jatill wrote:
I hope you're good because I am very much enjoying your game.
mcdog

Postby jatill » 09 Mar 2010, 18:30

Boom2010 wrote:
jatill wrote:
Ah!! I thought I saw somewhere that "they" (not necessarily Rio Grande) were working on a computer version. Might be a C&D notice on its way?

Edit: Or it might be that the designer okay's this.. Fingers crossed!
I did a google search for that before I started, but came up empty. If there is going to be a computer version, I'd be happy to C&D :) If you find what you read before, send me a link.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby jatill » 09 Mar 2010, 20:33

Here's a beta version that includes even more Seaside cards, if anyone is interested in testing. Thanks.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mjtgtz2uqf2/dominion.zip
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Boom2010 » 09 Mar 2010, 22:29

If you find what you read before, send me a link.
PM on its way
Boom2010

Postby mcdog » 10 Mar 2010, 12:00

jatill wrote:Here's a beta version that includes even more Seaside cards, if anyone is interested in testing. Thanks.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mjtgtz2uqf2/dominion.zip
I'll test today/tonight.
mcdog

Postby DrLambda » 10 Mar 2010, 16:58

1. Mmh... i just played a game in the previous version, had 3 Harems and 2 Provinces in my deck, then bought the last Province, and the game told me i had 18 points.

2. I really would like to see what my opponent does. Especially the rounds where he just goes "Andrew buys Province. Andrew ends his turn." without revealing his hand feel like he is cheating.

I really would like to congratulate you on your AI which is beating me on a regular base (Like 60-40 for me i guess?), but i still feel a bit cheated sometimes, especially because he is not revealing his hand before buying anything.

3. Also, there are bugs with the orange "permanent" cards. I played a game in which i removed almost all of my cards with chapel. The only cards left were like 2 Silver, Gold, Village and Wharf. I was able to play the Wharf every turn, but according to the rules it should stay on the board until the end of the turn after you played it and should not be shuffled into your deck before.

4. The last thing: It is kinda hard to see if your opponent plays Militia or Bureaucrat. I discarded the best cards in my hand to militia quite often because i thought it was my turn. Same is true for Thief, which i miss quite often (Often thinking there was a bug in my game because my gold is missing) because especially with 3 AI players, you have to look to an enormous logfile every turn to find out if you were thieved.

5. *edit: Just found another bug with the new version. The game breaks down if it finds nothing to do with thief. My deck consisted out of 3 Silver, Gold, Laboratory, Province and Chapel. My opponent played thief among other cards. Suddenly, my deck consisted out of Laboratory and Province (no other cards) even though the thief shouldnt be able to get a lot thanks to the fact that most of the cards should be on my hand on all times (you draw at the end of your turn, not the beginning!) I guess the thief in general is broken. It also would explain bug 1.
DrLambda

Postby jatill » 10 Mar 2010, 17:25

DrLambda wrote:I really would like to congratulate you on your AI which is beating me on a regular base (Like 60-40 for me i guess?), but i still feel a bit cheated sometimes, especially because he is not revealing his hand before buying anything.
Wow, you're good. I lose more than 50% of the time in 4 player games. Anyway, although there may be bugs, rest assured that the AI does not cheat.

( I haven't decided if I'm going to let it cheat with Wishing Well yet!)
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby DrLambda » 10 Mar 2010, 17:43

I was mostly counting 2-Player-Games, so no, not that good, although we got a good group over here that plays a Dominion "tournament" almost once a week ;)

Our Dominion Tournaments work like this: The first game has 10 random cards. After each game, the winner and loser each choose one of those cards, then we take the card which was sold out first and one of those which didn't sell at all and another one at random and replace these 5 with 5 new cards. You play 9 games this way (Enough to play all cards from the base game plus one expansion p.e.). The winner of each game gets 2 points, the second place gets 1. The player with the most points after 9 games wins.

*edit: About Wishing Well: You could simply make the ai call the card it has in its deck the most often (probably Copper) every time. That would be a good approximation of what happens in real life ;)
DrLambda

Postby DrLambda » 10 Mar 2010, 19:33

More bugs with the new version:

1. If an opponent plays Native Village, it takes the card it hides from your hand. You start your next turn with 4 cards in hand and the card disappears from your deck forever.
2. The game crashes if an opponent plays Lookout. It's an Index out of bounds error.
3. Your opponents can take Provinces with Smugglers.
DrLambda

Postby mcdog » 10 Mar 2010, 20:24

1) I had a subscript out of range when responding to a militia.

2) Tie breaker seemed to be favoring the 1st player when I never got my last turn.

3) When smugglers is played and the pile it is targeting is empty the program seems to loop.
mcdog

Postby jatill » 10 Mar 2010, 21:20

Got some nice updates today, besides several bug fixes:

1) All of Seaside is added
2) I added a screen showing what your opponents are playing. You can hit 'continue' by hitting the space bar also. This screen can still use a little work, but I think it's a big UI improvement.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/awgzmjdamej/dominion.zip

Tomorrow I'll try to get up-to-date on bugs as possible, and add more features to the new opponent screen (such as showing what is getting copied with Throne Room, and stolen with Thief, etc).
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Boom2010 » 10 Mar 2010, 22:05

jatill wrote:Got some nice updates today, besides several bug fixes:

1) All of Seaside is added
2) I added a screen showing what your opponents are playing. You can hit 'continue' by hitting the space bar also. This screen can still use a little work, but I think it's a big UI improvement.
2) This is a good step forward.
Boom2010

Postby Orvin » 10 Mar 2010, 22:28

One thought I had, is it would be nice if you could add some kind of check box to determine which decks are available for play. While allowing the player to select each individual card to play with might be tedious, a check box for each expansion would be good.
Orvin

PreviousNext

Return to ManaLink 3.0