It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:44

Text Size

SkyMagic editor vs. Custom version: the mistery of VeinDrink

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

SkyMagic editor vs. Custom version: the mistery of VeinDrink

Postby 0rion79 » 28 May 2010, 09:53

Dear e-friends, very soon I will post my personal custom version, that now is 99% working (all cards tested). Still, I think that there is something that you have to know.

After Jatill's latest My2000 release, I've been able to restore most of the cards that, before, were automatically replaced when another "hardcoded" card was replaced: it was a My2000 bug. Still, after that, I've seen that the program did copy Vein Drinker instead than Sea Drake, Spectral Force and Ashen Ghoul: I don't know why but they resulted as a black 4/4 creature with flying.
Also, Stang and Hazezon Tamar where not producing any token. So, I decided to use SkyMagic editor (not the latest version) to see if something could be done about that, at least producing "similar" versions of the cards that I like.
As a result, I tried to "reconstruct" the original exe part with the skymarshal editor and simpy re-adding original values (power, thoughness, casting cost and address for card specific code) did work great. Also, I have been able to see that slot 1999 could be used but was not and that Stangg Twin and Sand warriors were totally missing in the exe: that why I could play the Legendary creatures but they didn't create any token into play! The slots where null!
So, I did try again to make some "refresh" with My2000 (note that I didn't touch the 1999th slot) but everything went messed up: My2000 did classify the existing cards.dat as not valid and replaced it with a copy from Constructed version. The magic.exe file, instead, was fine. Since experience is a good teacher, I did create a back-up copy of Custom Verison and I missed nothing but, as you can see, I can't use My2000 to import cards in my custom version but have to do that manually with SkyMagic editor. Weird, isn't it? :)
0rion79

Return to ManaLink 3.0