It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:03

Text Size

What kind of Magic player are you?

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

What kind of Magic player are you?

Postby taron » 19 Jun 2010, 08:38

Ok let's have a sociable thread and see what types make up the manalink community. Go to http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/8552_Find_Out_What_Kind_of_Magic_Player_You_Are.html link and fill out the quiz, then post your answers here. I will go first, also props to Awww for putting me on to this ;)

Spike 8
Timmy 3
Johnny 5

Aggro
Control 3
Combo 2

Casual 2
Social 4

Rogue 3
Netdeck 1

Tempo 8
Counter 8

Haha, I scream counter whore! :P
taron

Re: What kind of Magic player are you?

Postby aww1979 » 19 Jun 2010, 19:08

Spike 11
Timmy 5
Johnny 3

Aggro 1
Control 4
Combo 1

Casual 2
Social 0

Rogue 3
Netdeck 2

Tempo 2
Counter 2

Going from memory from last night, so some might be a couple off, but the general trend is correct.
aww1979
Tester

Postby scherbchen1 » 20 Jun 2010, 03:44

well if they ain't gonna bother writing some decent script for the poll I ain't gonna take it :wink:

this ain't the back pages of some detective comic it's the intrawebs!

anyhoo, I never really liked the stereotyping WotC did with "spike" and "timmy" and whatnot. why don't you let me play your game as long as I enjoy it and I'll decide for myself what kind of player I am. don't really care about that idea one guy came up with at a pitch meeting that WotC just accepted as canon for some reason.
scherbchen1

Postby taron » 20 Jun 2010, 15:28

It's more of a player label scherbchen. Not 100% on it, but I'm fairly sure players labelled them up, johnny the combo man, spike, the player for sheep stations and timmeh the casual player :P

Plus it's amusing to see what it each player gets.

And O.o Aww, spike much? :P
taron

Postby juzamjedi » 20 Jun 2010, 16:06

Unfortunately a large number of the questions are outdated. Here was how I scored.

Johnny 9
Spike 8
Timmy 3

Aggro 3
Combo 2
Control 1

Counter 3

Netdeck 4
Rogue 3

Social 5
Casual 3
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 20 Jun 2010, 21:24

taron wrote:And O.o Aww, spike much? :P
Yeah, I suppose quite a bit :p I do have fun making silly timmy-type decks on occasion, too. There's nothing quite like smashing with leviathans and dragons and such. Quite a few of my duel decks vs the AI are timmy-style, since it is just as much fun, and the AI stands a better chance. The play is often less tedious, as well; sure, I can stomp the AI with Keeper/The Deck every time, but it takes awhile, and every time anything happens I have to click half a dozen times to go through it.

One of my favourite styles to do against the AI is to make a giant monstrosity of a deck (499 cards, the maximum size it will let you use) and fill it with stuff that's just pure fun, often on some sort of theme. It's like a different game every time due to the massive deck size, and occasionally I find some absolutely brilliant combos completely by accident.

I made one 'graveyard style' 499 card deck, for instance, that used Hermit Druid as one of the keys, but there were only about 20 basic lands in the whole deck, so every time I used the druid, he milled like 50 cards. This turns out to be extremely sexy with things like Lord of Extinction, Countryside Crusher, (milling your nonbasics) Crucible of Worlds, Hell's Caretaker, or all those flashback cards you just dumped :) It was freaking hilarious :p I was actually rather surprised that test didn't rate me as having spike and timmy a lot closer in points.
Attachments
499 graveyard.zip
(2.62 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
aww1979
Tester

Postby taron » 21 Jun 2010, 14:14

Haha I'm totally going to try that deck out, sounds like good fun :P
taron

Return to ManaLink 3.0