It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 06:12

Text Size

Great AI plays or unexpected nice plays

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Great AI plays or unexpected nice plays

Postby Althuna » 07 Jun 2013, 11:30

Just saw a cool one that impressed me! :)

I was getting pwned by the AI (I had land trouble!), and he was making his final attack which could kill me. I had 5 life, and he was attacking with three creatures, a 2/2, a 2/4, and a 3/3.

But I have a Vampire Nighthawk in play which is 2/3 and lifelink! So I block one of the 2/2 creatures, my plan is that it will gain +2 life making me 7 instead, and the other creatures will do 5 damage but still leave me with 2 life. But when I block, he casts Dispense Justice on himself! And then he sacrifices the 2/2 that I was going to block with my Vampire Nighthawk. So I don't get the lifelink, and his other creatures hit me for 5 and kill me.

I love the AI sometimes.

Althuna

Postby stassy » 05 Jul 2013, 12:09

Another "Oh, wow!" moment.

Kalonian Behemoth, Dormant Gomazoa and Rage Nimbus on my side, Tideforce Elemental and Sigil Captain on AI side.

I activate Rage Nimbus ability on both AI creatures so they die against my big mobs.

AI then activate Tideforce Elemental and tap Dormant Gomazoa so he's not forced to attack!

It's not much, but I loled hard when I saw what he did, though it would have been more awesome if he did tap both of his creatures to counter the effect.

stassy

Postby stassy » 30 Oct 2013, 09:48

Another wtf moment, AI nearly did an awesome move :
It casted Ad Nauseam and spammed it to oblivion until being milled out, I was about to report it then...it sacced and activated Children of Korlis.

Too bad it didn't follow up with anything thus lost immediately, but it was a nice card synergy that I didn't think of.

stassy

Postby Korath » 30 Oct 2013, 13:12

That doesn't work under modern rules - you lose as soon as you hit 0 or less life, instead of being able to last until end of the end of the phase.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Aswan jaguar » 30 Oct 2013, 14:47

This is one of the rules that's a lot,LOT more appealing to me than the modern ones.
I like how you can revive from nearly dying (dead body still warm)since no step has passed and it is really more MTG material than you get at 0 life and instantly you loose and there is nothing you can do about it.If they can't save you, all those Wizard creatures and life gain creatures & spells,I guess they are more like novice teenagers than Wizards.

If you decide to follow modern rules (I am against it if we take voting into it) please consider if it can be made configurable so if somebody wants Modern can select that or select Old rules.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby stassy » 30 Oct 2013, 16:09

Well, considering their politic to "polish" and make the rules understandable by a larger public, this is expected (mana burn, stack, legend rule...).
I know this can be a bit of a letdown, but I know many people who are more interested in a "preordained win" from a fixed theorycraft than chaining and comboing counters in a draw go fashion (for example, the World of Warcraft TCG Hearthstone does have a rule that forbid player to cast spell during opponent turn, so no counterspells...)
stassy

Postby Althuna » 05 Dec 2013, 07:00

stassy wrote:Another wtf moment, AI nearly did an awesome move :
It casted Ad Nauseam and spammed it to oblivion until being milled out, I was about to report it then...it sacced and activated Children of Korlis.

Too bad it didn't follow up with anything thus lost immediately, but it was a nice card synergy that I didn't think of.

That's my deck :D

What he is supposed to do is to play 2 Children of Korlis, and that way you get back double the life. It's cool. So you take yourself to -50 or whatever and have your entire deck in your hand, then play those two CofK and you end up +100 or whatever. And ideally, if you have Sanguine Bond in play when you do it... ouch. AI is really smart though, I often get wow! moments.

That thing about the rule change, I'll have to check that out. I remember there is also one other card you can use in situations like that, can't remember the name but it has Split Second and it basically makes it so you can't die this turn. So you can use that, then take yourself to -9999999 if you wanted, then flip it around or whatever you want. That was a cool card.
Althuna

Postby HarlequinCasts » 07 Dec 2013, 01:23

Both Angel's Grace and Phyrexian Unlife are great in modern Ad Nauseam decks ^_^
Also Tainted Sigil works like Children of Korlis.
HarlequinCasts

Postby Althuna » 07 Dec 2013, 17:30

Yeah that's it. Can be pretty powerful. I had a deck that used all that stuff and also Beacon of Immortality. It often ended up with thousands of life.
Althuna

Postby Aswan jaguar » 09 Jan 2014, 17:37

AI 3 life me at 34 life.
I have cursed AI with Curse of Death's Hold and have Lovisa Coldeyes in play and AI has nothing in play and in his hand has Stromgald Crusader and Bone Splinters.Game has advanced too much so we both have many lands out.

I am almost certain AI doesn't play Stromgald Crusader because it is going to die from the curse but I want to test it.In my turn I draw & cast
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper and then I debug into AI's hand a Demystify on AI's upkeep.AI then draws a card and in his 2nd main phase AI casts firstly Stromgald Crusader and then Demystify! so loosing Stromgald Crusader from the curse.I am hitting my head for AI's stupidity ](*,) BUT this is far from the truth as AI next plays Morkrut Banshee ! AI targets & kills with the Morbid ability, Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper and then casts Bone Splinters sacrificing Morkrut Banshee and destroys my Lovisa Coldeyes,too. :shock:
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Fizanko » 07 Feb 2014, 11:33

I was very surprised by an AI move

Most of the time i play duel with it and both of us are using random deck, sometime they're frankly bad, but sometime they're rather good and makes up for a great game, i didn't remember exactly which one we were assigned at that point, but mine was very strongly red themed, in fact all my attacks card were dealing red damage.

And on the 1st round the AI played Circle of Protection: Red

So out of a weak attack card (and absolutely no card to break the AI enchantment) that wasn't dealing red damage, the AI was fully protected against anything i could throw at it.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby Fizanko » 11 Feb 2014, 23:44

Just got spanked very hard by an AI on a random deck vs random deck duel (i can't remember the names of the decks used)

I got the card Dark Depths coming, and i was happy because i had lots of lands so freeing the legendary wouldn't take too much turns and my troops would be able to gain the time needed as i wouldn't then play much more with all the mana focused into that card each turn.

During those turns i got my brave defenders killed and/or banished and took minor damage when there wasn't anyone left on my side, but the goal was to get the legendary as soon as possible and i'm sure it would be worth it.

My only survivor and best flyer, a Lightning Angel even got "phased" out of my reach, but then it was time i got it, Marit Lage !

Oh yes, the pain that poor AI was going to get on itself when it will be my turn to attack with Marit Lage , oh the pain it will get as a revenge for destroying my troop !

And with all the banishing card , as it's impossible to kill that legendary, the AI played in that duel already, no chance it would get another banishing card coming, or so i hoped .

And then the AI turn, it played ... hmm what ?
Tawnos's Coffin ... Tawnos's Coffin ! You got to be kidding me !

Marit Lage was entombed in it, and it was then only a question of a few turns my last lives were destroyed too.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby Nexhro » 25 Feb 2014, 00:45

I just +1'd Liliana of the Veil with no cards in hand and AI responded by casting Evacuation, getting rid of my Wurmcoil Engine in the process (and losing nothing but a 1/1 token itself.)
It then created a token with Elspeth, Knight-Errant on the following turn and pumped it turn after turn for the win.
I kinda get the feeling the AI's behavior has improved a lot lately.
Nexhro

Postby Nexhro » 17 May 2014, 23:01

AI had Cathars' Crusade, Goblin Bombardment and Safehold Elite on the battlefield and kept sacrificing the latter to Bombardment to bring me down straight from 25 to 0.
Might just have been the AI's usualy habit of sacrificing its whole board just because and randomly prioritizing its only persist creature in the process, but I was still impressed to see it use an actual combo engine.
Nexhro

Postby stassy » 04 Aug 2014, 11:01

AI made a great move by comboing Pyromancer Ascension, Grapeshot, Manamorphose, Rite of Flame and Ponder for some huge storm damage.

The only issue is when loading the savegame, AI cannot reproduce exactly what it did and often will overkill my creatures instead, but it's still quite a sight to see the cards chained at lightspeed :mrgreen:
Attachments
1.zip
(3.35 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
stassy

PreviousNext

Return to ManaLink 3.0