It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:34

Text Size

New Avatars - Download - Version 1.2 (22-Sep-2012)

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

New Avatars - Download - Version 1.2 (22-Sep-2012)

Postby ozks » 08 Aug 2012, 07:37

Hi Everyone
i want make this easy to any kind of user, it doesn't matter how much do you know about computers. you can easy install new avatars

Well, I created 98 New Avatars that take the whole section of manalink.
no like the old ones, took only a small section of the screen and another picture in the background.
just put the patch in your manalink folder and run it... (where you have Magic.exe)
if is not the right place, it will show a message telling, for you move the patch

Remember: this patch will replace the old ones (Delete and replace) so it is advisable to back up other files, this patch its not compatible with old version of manalink (need the last 3.0)

Optional:
Backup Files: folder "PlayFace" and folder Exp1Art\ "Rogues" and the file Rogues.csv (looks like txt file)
Backup files. its not really necessary

I forget, the 98 avatars you can choose them and play against them
I never liked the old nor the new. with koolaid and chibi joker (sorry its my opinion)
no one really put never attention to this section so important
and in the new update only, have the avatars of moderators and staff (don't know well what are) Really, I don't wanna be any of you (no offense)

Please Comment...

This patch its not compatible with old version of manalink (need the last 3.0) Thanks to stassy for telling me

well, see a preview (old preview Ver 1.1)
Image Avatars

The 98 Avatars - Preview (old preview Ver 1.1)
98 avatars.jpg
take a while to load

The new update 22-Sep-2012 has 116 Avatars - I delet repeated and others, and fix rogues names.

How install:

if you want delete the old avatars delete this 2 folders in the directory of you manalink:
PlayFace (delete if you want i clean installation and/or make a copy of this folder)

and the folder Rogues are inside the folder call Exp1Art
and download the pack of avatars and extract and copy the 2 folder and the file, call Rogues.csv on you manalink folder (you have to overwrite the file rogues.csv)

and one more thing! if you want make new avatars, dont add more names to rogues.csv (because the game will crash, insted you can change the ones already exist.)
Also put all the files on a simple (.rar) I delet the installer

And Download - Fix 1.2 (22-sep-2012)
External Link Ver 1.2
http://www.gamefront.com/files/22304528/Avatars+Ver.1.2.rar

Mirror Mediafire Ver 1.2
http://www.mediafire.com/?osheliqie0005d1

Mirror 4Shared Ver 1.2
http://www.4shared.com/rar/vOCfIKLR/Avatars_Ver12.html
Last edited by ozks on 22 Oct 2012, 06:26, edited 11 times in total.
ozks

Re: New Avatars - Download - Easy to Install

Postby stassy » 08 Aug 2012, 11:02

Nice collection, but do you have a preview of all the avatars available?

Something to note is that your avatars are not compatible with old versions of ML which will crash.
stassy

Postby 0rion79 » 08 Aug 2012, 13:40

ozks wrote:I never liked the old nor the new. with koolaid and chibi joker (sorry it my opinion)
Me too! They are silly, no offense. I would rather enjoy an upgrade of older ones. I'll take a look to yours asap.
0rion79

Postby ozks » 08 Aug 2012, 14:58

stassy wrote:Nice collection, but do you have a preview of all the avatars available?.
I can make one if u want?

stassy wrote:Something to note is that your avatars are not compatible with old versions of ML which will crash.
yeah are NOT compatibles only with the last Version (not really knew that people still continue playing, older versions )

0rion79 wrote:
ozks wrote:I never liked the old nor the new. with koolaid and chibi joker (sorry it my opinion)
Me too! They are silly, no offense. I would rather enjoy an upgrade of older ones. I'll take a look to yours asap.
Hope you like it...
ozks

Postby Aswan jaguar » 08 Aug 2012, 15:32

First of all thanks for your work.Secondly are these Avatars have to do anything with your application or it is a conflict with earlier Avatars maybe?Because it loads pics from Shandalar.

EDIT.Ok the problem was my anti-virus it didn't let your application install successfully although the dos window mentioned it successfully installed the second didn't.All ok now.
Attachments
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby ozks » 08 Aug 2012, 16:04

Aswan jaguar wrote:First of all thanks for your work.Secondly are these Avatars have to do anything with your application or it is a conflict with earlier Avatars maybe?Because it loads pics from Shandalar.
was a problem with the code. happen that drag all .pic from main folder to Exp1Art\Rogues
I fixed, download again
the problem with that is that use the last version of CirothUngol Without Shandalar (sorry my mistake)
Last edited by ozks on 08 Aug 2012, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
ozks

Postby Aswan jaguar » 08 Aug 2012, 16:07

I don't know about that,the problem was my anti-virus it didn't let your application install successfully although the dos window mentioned it successfully installed the second didn't.I reinstalled and all are fine now.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby stassy » 08 Aug 2012, 16:09

I can make one if u want?
Please do, would be nice for those who want to have a peek before downloading.

Also I know that the bundle install is fine for beginning, it would be also nice to have only the pic file in an single simple archive for experimented user.

I am also interested in the batch process of your for creating pic files, as I couldn't do it myself and it took me a few days to make only a few of them at the detriment of their original color palette.
stassy

Postby CirothUngol » 09 Aug 2012, 03:52

0rion79 wrote:
Me too! They are silly, no offense.
No worries, none taken. In fact, in the actual forum post I self-described the collection as "ridiculous", because it is... and I like that ^_^.
At the time I decided to make those, I didn't know that ML3.0 had the ability to load .BMPs as PlayFaces (Sarlack clued me in). When you're dealing with 138x170x256 colors and a 13,000 byte size limit, replicating images like these is simply impossible, so one must stick with bold and simple graphics. Trust me, producing the .PIC files with proper transparencies was neither quick nor simple (right, stassy?). These will be much easier.
ozks wrote:CirothUngol please check this post
if you wanna put this avatars in you next Update, i will be glad
Although I'm a weirdo and will continue to use the Classic Rogues (I like ChibiJoker), anyone must admit that these images are a great match for Sarlack's default graphics (and they look much better doin' it ^_^).
However, there are a few issues with the set:

*Duplicate Images - A couple of the Avatars have duplicate (or near-duplicate) images. I noticed this with Angel and Sentinel.

*Rogue Quotes - The quotes in Rogues.csv need to be reworked. They should be an aggressive threat to the opponent, worded as the character would say it. I would attempt this, but I don't know any of the characters involved. A minor sticking-point perhaps, as they're only seen during Sealed Deck Tournaments, but without them it's simply incomplete.

*Aspect Ratio - This is not a minor sticking-point. There is no single aspect ratio used in the set. Most look correct inside the Duel UI (taking up the majority of the PlayFace area, which is nice), while many look correct everywhere except the Duel UI. In order to use PlayFaces in "Landscape" aspect, you must sacrifice their visual quality in the rest of the game... but they do look very nice the majority of the time.

Irregardless of them being in either "Landscape" or "Portrait" aspect, that aspect should be consistent. If you could address these issues, I'd like to include these as a match for the default art (as well as an optional ArtMod). Perhaps later someone (maybe me?) can create a set of PlayFaces in the "Portrait" aspect that'll appear correct in the entire game (and that too can be an optional ArtMod). Fun!
stassy wrote:I am also interested in the batch process of your for creating pic files...
They're .BMPs with blank transparencies. You can open any .BMP in PhotoShop, then create a new file (File\New) and make it the same height and twice the width. Use the Bucket Tool to fill the New Image with black, then use the Rectangular Marquee Tool to highlight the original image and the Move Tool to drag-n-drop it onto the new canvas, line it up on the left-side, then save it as a Windows BitMap (16m colors, yay!). Manalink will stretch-to-fit, so image size is relatively unimportant (although too big is uberkill)... but aspect ratio is not.

I've noticed that the Face Backgrounds are useless with these PlayFaces (in fact, they're distracting), so I sampled Manalink's grey-border and made some blank backgrounds that go really well with this set. I've also included a couple of PlayFaces that Sarlack sent me when I was doing the Rogues Gallery to illustrate how a proper transparency mask should look. They're quite large (overkill), but they're gorgeous (I hope he doesn't mind me sharing them).
Attachments
BlankFaceBacks_SarlackPlayFaces.zip
Blank Face Backgrounds to match Manalink's border and two Hi-Res PlayFaces created by Sarlack.
(224 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby stassy » 09 Aug 2012, 04:09

Damn, I though a process was found to make ratio and colors together but I noticed they were all landscape rectangular image with no transparency :|
stassy

Postby ozks » 09 Aug 2012, 10:59

I do know that there is still work to do, in a few days I will fix some bugs
but I will not change for small avatars "portrait" I like Landscape mode
and for those who like my style of avatars
would remain as an alternative to the normal avatars

upcoming changes that I think I will change:
I remove the repeated avatars
will correct the file Rogues.csv
I will put a background to the images with white background
remove the installer (just a zip and a bat remain)
and maybe add some more things

and stassy want to do with transparency, like this one i made?
I made this
(93.01 KiB) Downloaded 407 times

or think that this is of poor quality avatar?

and CirothUngol thanks for testing, and telling me the errors
and for the backgrounds

and thanks for read my awful English
ozks

Postby CirothUngol » 09 Aug 2012, 12:46

Oh yea, now that's the stuff!

The Avatar Knight image is great... like that!
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby stassy » 09 Aug 2012, 12:46

ozks wrote:

Yes, like this one, did you manually create the outline or did you automate the process?

Also I am a bit afraid of the size which is uberkill (450 ko)
stassy

Postby ozks » 09 Aug 2012, 13:31

stassy wrote:
ozks wrote:
The attachment avatar knight.zip is no longer available

Yes, like this one, did you manually create the outline or did you automate the process?

Also I am a bit afraid of the size which is uberkill (450 ko)
its much bigger then normal for u to see the details on the image
and i've created manually with photoshop
is pretty similar to create skins for the program "Dup2"

one is the normal image and the second is for cut the first image
I put a template - an image .Psd with layers to created easily another avatar
also had 2 selections saved to load the first square or second easily
first background is black, the second white

Psd Knight
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 408 times

see ya...
ozks

Postby 0rion79 » 10 Aug 2012, 06:29

The avatar knight image is great, but also has some manga/japanese influence in it.
0rion79

Next

Return to ManaLink 3.0