5%
I don't have any major preference
4%
I don't purchase/use Pets
19%

Total votes : 77

Re: Quest Pet Preferences

Postby serrasmurf » 24 Sep 2013, 13:42

great idea to use a poll, hope we will see more of those!
maybe you guys could add it to the upcoming big release (1.5) and get some statistics on how all the users play?
serrasmurf

Postby friarsol » 24 Sep 2013, 14:08

lazylockie wrote:
friarsol wrote:Bird will become "Flying, When ~ deals combat damage, you may pay X. If you do, scry 1." (Not sure if X is going to be 1 mana or 2 mana.)
couldn't it be 1, T: Scry 1 or 2, T: Scry 1?
I'll try it, but I'm not sure about Tap abilities here. All of the other abilities can only be used once. A tap ability can be used multiple times with simple tricks, and it can be held back to block but still get the benefit, which I think would still make it pretty strong. e.g. If you have that 2 mana at the end of a turn, why wouldn't you Scry? But if you have to attack and spend mana, it actually forces you to make an interesting decision. "Do I setup the top of my deck for next turn, or do I keep the mana open for a trick/counterspell?"
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby lazylockie » 24 Sep 2013, 16:49

friarsol wrote:
lazylockie wrote:
friarsol wrote:Bird will become "Flying, When ~ deals combat damage, you may pay X. If you do, scry 1." (Not sure if X is going to be 1 mana or 2 mana.)
couldn't it be 1, T: Scry 1 or 2, T: Scry 1?
I'll try it, but I'm not sure about Tap abilities here. All of the other abilities can only be used once. A tap ability can be used multiple times with simple tricks, and it can be held back to block but still get the benefit, which I think would still make it pretty strong. e.g. If you have that 2 mana at the end of a turn, why wouldn't you Scry? But if you have to attack and spend mana, it actually forces you to make an interesting decision. "Do I setup the top of my deck for next turn, or do I keep the mana open for a trick/counterspell?"
I haven't thought about that, it seems that a triggered ability is much more skill intensive than a tap ability. A tap ability would become basically a Crystal Ball with legs.

It's just that triggered abilities are so annoying because they keep triggering on every combat step. Maybe some sort of:

{1} or {2}: Until the end of turn, whenever ~ deals combat damage, scry 1.

This way it's still a triggered ability of sorts, it still requires you to decide if you want to use the mana on your turn and doesn't keep bothering you every time you want to sink a few points of damage.

Or heck, it could be much more simpler than that:

{1} or {2}, {T}: Scry 1. Activate this ability only during your turn
lazylockie

Postby friarsol » 24 Sep 2013, 17:55

lazylockie wrote:Or heck, it could be much more simpler than that:

{1} or {2}, {T}: Scry 1. Activate this ability only during your turn
Yep, definitely all things I considered. I do generally agree with the optional trigger thing possibly being a touch annoying, although I think being more skill intensive isn't a bad thing. I definitely have considered the "Activate only on your turn" thing too. And since the original Bird's ability was based on Thieving Magpie, but the new one wouldn't be, it might work out well enough that way. Multiple scrying is definitely less abusive than multiple looting, since once you get a card you want, you can't do any better than that.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby kestell » 04 Oct 2013, 12:53

The 2/1 haste hound is almost just as good as the the one with the pump on. I love the hound as it makes games shorter.

The 1/4 wither wall is very powerful and just kills the weenie type decks.
kestell

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 02 Jan 2014, 02:42

I just built a red goblin deck, so I went to the pet store to get a hound... and I thought it was pretty good until I got to the final upgrade. "... with Burst into Flames" huh? The only way I could find out what that meant was to buy it, and boy am I pissed I wasted credits on it. Firebreathing (+ an extra {1} ) and I have to sac it? Not worth using the ability.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 02 Jan 2014, 13:23

Rob Cashwalker wrote:I just built a red goblin deck, so I went to the pet store to get a hound... and I thought it was pretty good until I got to the final upgrade. "... with Burst into Flames" huh? The only way I could find out what that meant was to buy it, and boy am I pissed I wasted credits on it. Firebreathing (+ an extra {1} ) and I have to sac it? Not worth using the ability.
That's some pretty harsh words Rob. I'd say the Red pet is actually one of the best, depending on the type of deck you build. It's already very strong with Haste, letting you deal an extra free 2 damage the first turn compared to all the other pets. And then the ability to funnel all of your extra mana into a final attack to kill your opponent, or a few extra damage to trade with a strong creature shouldn't be overlooked. How about you actually try it out before being "pissed off" about the ability?

Also, it isn't quite Firebreathing, since it's colorless mana. Not very many cards in the game pump with just colorless mana.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 03 Jan 2014, 02:35

It certainly IS awesome as a hasty 2/1. I just don't find it lasting long enough to "go off". If I had known what the ability was, I simply wouldn't have spent the credits.

So consider this not entirely a rant against the hound, but also the way the pets are described and presented. I think the crocodile used the term "hides", which isn't exactly a vanilla keyword. There is no way to view the current pet card outside of the game and there's no view of the card for the next upgrade level.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 03 Jan 2014, 03:16

Rob Cashwalker wrote:So consider this not entirely a rant against the hound, but also the way the pets are described and presented. I think the crocodile used the term "hides", which isn't exactly a vanilla keyword. There is no way to view the current pet card outside of the game and there's no view of the card for the next upgrade level.
Fair enough. We do display the images there on the left, but maybe if you click on the image it could blow it up, so you can see the full ability. It was pretty awkward when I was trying to right the whole ability out originally for the non-standard abilities.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby friarsol » 30 Jul 2014, 01:52

Can someone unsticky this post? Thanks.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Phoenix » 11 Aug 2014, 14:08

I lately test some variations of "affinity for artifact" decks within the quest mode.
That's why I wondered why there is no artifact quest pet.

Is it thought to add one?

Further possibilities for quest pets:
- multicolored creatures: an all-color creature like "Transguild Courier" or a 5-different-mana creature like "Cromat"
- land creatures like "Dryad Arbor"

Greets,
Phoenix
Phoenix

Previous

Return to Forge