It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:40

Text Size

Forge and Macs using Mac OS X Mavericks

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Forge and Macs using Mac OS X Mavericks

Postby Chris H. » 16 Jan 2014, 20:03

Several people have updated their Macintosh computers to Mac OS X Mavericks and have reported problems running Forge. This topic is to be used for our discussions as this will help to keep our messages centralized.

The interior HD in my iMac is still at Lion and has not yet been updated.

I repurposed a USB exterior HD to run a test. I used Disk Utility to “Restore” a copy of my interior HD to my USB exterior HD. I then updated the USB exterior HD OS to Mavericks.

I then launched Forge and was able to run the app. I played a game successfully and visited the Deck Editor. On my iMac the pics are displayed.

I then attempted to launch Eclipse and was told that Eclipse needed Java 6 installed to run. I wonder if I installed Java 6 if this would then cause this issue to appear on my iMac?
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Re: Forge and Macs using Mac OS X Mavericks

Postby tasteful » 17 Jan 2014, 06:02

Is there anything we should do and report results? I deleted the java 6 jdk just now and it didn't help.
tasteful

Postby marioc » 17 Jan 2014, 06:12

Hey all,

I have an iMac and a MBP Retina. I have the latest version of Forge and Mavericks on both. The MBP never had any issues, but suddenly about 1-2 months ago the iMac wouldn't play Forge. I tried uninstalling the JDK and anything else Forge or Java related (besides the core OS Java stuff) and it didn't help.

I finally tried something new - I installed the Java 8 Developer Preview JDK from here: http://jdk8.java.net/download.html

That seems to have fixed my issues. No idea what it is, but the Dev. Preview is fairly stable. The schedule for Java 8 (http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8/) has a Final Release Candidate on the calendar for January 23, so it should be pretty close.
marioc

Postby tasteful » 17 Jan 2014, 18:27

Oh hey that worked! Fabulous! Thanks marioc!
tasteful

Postby Chris H. » 17 Jan 2014, 20:46

I installed Apple's Java 6 on the HD with Mavericks and was able to launch Eclipse. And I was also able to launch Forge and the pics displayed OK.

I am glad to hear That installing Java 8 took care of the problem. I wonder if reinstalling Java 7 would also have worked?
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby tasteful » 17 Jan 2014, 22:25

I tried that a few times with no luck, and tried deleting the jdk and installing the JRE as well but switched back. I also don't know if deleting Java 6 had any part in Java 8 working so if anyone with this problem doesn't find it solved by installing jdk 8 i'd recommend finding the native Java 6 install and deleting it
tasteful

Postby lasthours » 18 Jan 2014, 21:46

Worked for me. But one thing I forgot after the recent 1.5.10 update was that, for some reason, I cannot execute the forge.command, some privilege issue.

I have the forge files/cache/pics folders on dropbox and on the PC (W8), my usual machine, all works fine but on the mac (mavericks) I need to run chmod u+x /path/to/forge.command which gives the file execute rights before it can be used. After then all runs fine on either platform with the 'shared' dropbox folders - oither than a manual switch to a .properties file. Dunno why, must be my setup

Thanks for the java link marioc
lasthours

Postby marioc » 21 Jan 2014, 04:17

Glad Java8 worked for others.

lasthours - If you have trouble running forge.command from a new download, try right-clicking it and selecting 'Open With...' and then 'Terminal'. It says it is the default but sometimes it doesn't want to let you open a downloaded file. Opening with Terminal gives you the dialog box to allow it. You should then be able to open it thereafter without any prompt, as you've already given it 'permission' to run.
marioc

Postby tasteful » 21 Jan 2014, 05:09

i just double-click the .jar, .command usually doesnt work for me
tasteful

Postby lasthours » 21 Jan 2014, 23:12

thanks marioc, will give it a try next time. or the .jar, didn't know that worked - thanks both
lasthours

Postby Bog Wraith » 23 Jan 2014, 00:56

I have a Mac Pro as my main machine and the latest Forge release is running fine. I have Java 7 installed, (both the JRE & JDK versions) and with the latest release of Forge 1.5.10, I can now open the app using the java file again as well as the command file that I have been using for the last year or so.

I haven't tried this latest release on my iMac or my wife's MacBook Pro, so I can't say if they are working on those platforms. I will test them when I can, but my Mac Pro is running Forge with no problems to date.
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby elcnesh » 19 May 2014, 14:58

I've installed Java 7 JDK, and Forge 1.5.17 works like a charm on my MBP (Mavericks).
elcnesh

Postby Chris H. » 19 May 2014, 15:20

For the most part things are also working for me. I have found one issue that I have not been able to resolve:

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5192&start=285#p145191
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby elcnesh » 19 May 2014, 15:29

Ah yes, I've been trying to get that working for most of the morning, without success... However, it only affects users who want to checkout the svn themselves. If you use the binary packages you shouldn't encounter this. (Maybe Maven can be configured to work with svn 1.8? Would also solve the JavaHL problem, but I know too little about Maven to pursue this.)
elcnesh

Postby elcnesh » 11 Jun 2014, 09:50

Sometimes (far too often actually) booting Forge takes quite a while... Especially loading the cards usually takes about 2 minutes. This is quite a pain when debugging. However, sometimes it only takes 2 seconds. I haven't been able to figure out what causes it to be fast or slow. Does anyone else experience the same behaviour, or perhaps has an idea what causes it?
elcnesh

Next

Return to Forge