It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:08

Text Size

Forge can't find mana symbols, screws up card details

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Forge can't find mana symbols, screws up card details

Postby jimmy22666 » 27 Feb 2014, 19:33

Hi guys,
So I'm new to all this. I've always loved playing Magic, discovered Shandalar a few years ago and thought it was fantastic... so much better than the shitty DoTP iterations they keep pumping out. Anyway, after a fairly big break, I decided that I wanted to get back into it again and I saw Forge and thought it looked pretty great.
I only just installed it today and I'm trying to get everything set up - I've downloaded all the art etc. (only the full HQ images).
When I play the game though, the card details panel seems to be broken. It just has a bunch of random unpleasant looking text. It appears as though it has difficulty finding the mana symbols despite having them all in the default directory. You could literally follow the path showing in the error straight to the mana symbol it's looking for.
It also shows up on activated abilities.
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, I did every combination of search terms I could think of but couldn't find anything related.
Am I missing something really obvious here? Do I have to have the cropped images downloaded as well or something?
I'd really appreciate any help you could offer,
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Forge.png
screenshot showing the problem
jimmy22666

Re: Forge can't find mana symbols, screws up card details

Postby moomarc » 28 Feb 2014, 13:21

Unfortunately I have to congratulate you for coming across a bug I've never seen before. You can tell from the other card overlays that the mana symbols are indeed there, so I can't see why they'd fail to load for abilities and the card detail panel... hopefully one of the other devs will be able to work out the issue.

Have you tried just restarting? Might be some weird issue when the images are first downloaded?
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby drdev » 28 Feb 2014, 14:20

The images that appear inline with text like that are supposed to be cached off at the proper size when you start the game so they can be inlined with HTML, which is different that those that appear on the card overlays. Can you confirm whether there are image files present in that AppData path that's displayed as text where the missing image icons are showing up?
drdev
Programmer

Postby moomarc » 01 Mar 2014, 14:49

drdev wrote:The images that appear inline with text like that are supposed to be cached off at the proper size when you start the game so they can be inlined with HTML, which is different that those that appear on the card overlays. Can you confirm whether there are image files present in that AppData path that's displayed as text where the missing image icons are showing up?
He said in the OP that he could follow the path directly to the images, so assume they were there. Is it possible they were only being cached after failing to find them somehow?
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby drdev » 01 Mar 2014, 15:02

They're cached when the skin is loaded when the application is first opened, which would be before any of the HTML in question is rendered. If the files are present, the HTML should be working.

I guess I should ask, does Card Detail show mana symbols for any cards? Or are all cards broken?
drdev
Programmer

Postby jimmy22666 » 03 Mar 2014, 15:16

Thanks for the quick replies, sorry I've taken a bit longer - I've been away over the weekend.
I double checked and all the symbol images are still in the right place, all named correctly and I opened them to check they work... don't really know how a .png could go wrong but they seem just fine.
The incorrect display on the card details is indeed for every single card in the game. I've simply been hiding that panel but unfortunately I still come across the odd card image I'm missing so I have to use the details panel to work out what it is.
To be honest, I expected this to be a somewhat common (noobish) problem and for there to be a quick fix... I think it may even be a good thing that none of you have encountered it. I can only hope that it's extremely anomalous and maybe starting from scratch will fix it. [-o<
Before I do, am I definitely doing all the steps right? Not that there are many... Download forge, download card images.
I'm pretty sure I got my card images (only the HQ fulls) from http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12336, is this correct?
jimmy22666

Postby VladVoivode » 06 Mar 2014, 11:27

Hi Jimmy,

I only download the LQ card images - which I have to say look great. I don't play this to be able to print proxies and I don't think you do either. Having said that, by downloading the LQ card images from Forge's content downloaders, everything looks great. Perhaps you could try doing a fresh install and just download the LQ card art and see if you still encounter the same issue.

Hang in there man! Forge is a GREAT program!!!

Slainte,
Vlad
VladVoivode

Postby jimmy22666 » 07 Mar 2014, 20:13

I agree that if the LQ pictures are still easily readable, they're probably more than sufficient for just casual play.
Unfortunately I'm still getting the same bug, even before I download the lq pictures... I really don't know what's going on but maybe I'll just wait for the next build and hope that whatever it is that caused it has gone away. :?
jimmy22666

Postby shoguncoco » 18 Apr 2014, 13:41

Hi there it has been some builds later and I am having this problem now, I have redownloaded the set images, the LQ card images, the quest images, I have wiped everything and tried re-downloading the zipped package and reinstalling it, although it is still busted, I have checked the extensions and found the symbols their all there as a PNG, they all work int he viewer. But they don't seem to work in the game.
shoguncoco

Return to Forge