It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:08

Text Size

Quest mode: The ideal set of preferences

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Quest mode: The ideal set of preferences

Postby Haytrid » 02 Apr 2014, 20:08

So I have been trying to get the perfect set of preferences configured for Quest mode to keep me invested and I just can't seem to hit a stride that keeps me interested.

I was hoping to set it up so that I only start with Unlimited/Arabian Nights and then unlock sets progressively.

I made it to my first 20 wins, went to unlock Antiquities and. . . . .41,664 credits. . . really. On default settings I have made about 2,000 credits or less on the 20/6 win ratio I did get.

So clearly this isn't going to work as it would take me another 416 wins to unlock the set presumably.

In order to compensate I would have to make the average win reward about 1,500 to 2,000 per win to unlock at the 20 win mark or half that if I wanted to drag it out to 40 wins. Of course doing that would radically destroy the balance for the spell shop and bazaar.

So. . . .

How do you set up your quest preferences to keep them interesting?
Does anyone try to do this unlock sets mode that I am doing?
Is there a way to make the next set auto-unlock at 20 wins or sell for a more *reasonable* amount to keep the spell store and bazaar more in balance?

Thanks!
Haytrid

Re: Quest mode: The ideal set of preferences

Postby drdev » 02 Apr 2014, 20:37

This sounds like something the Career mode idea that's been tossed around a bit might solve. You could choose to start your career in 1993 at the beginning of Magic and unlock cards over time while prices stay more relative to what they'd have been at the time.

I may have to take a break from the mobile game at some point to implement such a mode. Unless another developer would want to take a crack.

That said, I think someone is already looking into making quest prices for Power 9 and other Vintage powerhouses more reasonable.
drdev
Programmer

Postby Jaedayr » 02 Apr 2014, 21:00

I am with Haytrid on this and would love to have a quest mode with prices tuned to be able to unlock sets in the order they were published. Right now, about the only realistic way to get some of the early set cards is to make a custom reward pool and put them in it.

If you wanted to make prices more realistic you could start with low prices and then as your career progresses and time passes, the earlier cards start to increase in price. The older the set, the more they increase.

And then...... we could have decks built roughly along the times the cards in them became available, so you could experience plausible competition at all points along the way. The opponent difficulty would reset back to easy with each unlock, and progress similar to what it does today. This might also be applied to Bazaar items.
Jaedayr
Tester

Postby Haytrid » 02 Apr 2014, 21:32

A down and dirty short-term option might be to add a quest preferences option to auto-unlock the next set every 20 wins for free maybe. At default credit settings it's challenging enough just buying spells and bazaar items. Not sure if that would be feasible.

Question: If you start in reverse with just M14 & Born of Gods can you unlock sets in reverse order currently? How many credits would unlocking Theros be then?
Haytrid

Postby friarsol » 02 Apr 2014, 23:00

Haytrid wrote:Question: If you start in reverse with just M14 & Born of Gods can you unlock sets in reverse order currently? How many credits would unlocking Theros be then?
I believe unlocking sets is based on the cost of the amount of boosters unlocking a set gives you. Of course, I've never used that in my quest mode, and the dev who implemented that stuff isn't active anymore, so who knows.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby jhamma66 » 06 Apr 2014, 16:37

I sort of assumed some others did this but I'll post what I typically do. I have started my quests with a selection of more recent sets and just used the option to travel to Shandalar to mine for gesm so to speak. A few Very Hard wins and you can typically pick up some moxes, a timetwister, etc which I then will sell off and fund the purchasing of fat packs from my Main World. It can be frustrating at the beginning when sell prices are so limited but it really pays off in the long run.

So, basically I hop from Main World to Shandalar to farm for power cards and $$$ to open sets and purchase cards. YMMV.
jhamma66

Return to Forge