It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 06:44

Text Size

The Ultimate Quest Mode Thread

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: The Ultimate Quest Mode Thread

Postby Goliath764 » 10 Oct 2014, 03:16

I think it really depends on how you want to play it. Me myself just rolls a pool, make a deck and start playing. I don't really care too much about efficiency when it comes to acquiring cards so I just keep playing, get boosters and see what I got. Personally, I think playing with super high efficiency kinds of make things too easy, especially when the AI isn't really that strong to begin with. It's not the first game I do this either. When I play Football Manager, I usually just do things my way instead of searching the web for "wonderkid list" or "sure-win tactics" because they make the game too easy too quickly.

Personally, I think quest mode is really a sandbox playground, you decide what you want to do with it so I don't really see the issue with what you said. You can choose to not do that if you think it gets boring or repetitive fast. Of course, I do understand that Quest Mode is not necessarily "balanced" and I agree on that. For instance, pages ago I brought up the issue about shop price. Booster box, with 36 packs inside, costs 26k while Fat Pack, with 9 packs inside, costs merely 2k, so there's really no reason to buy booster box at all.
Goliath764

Postby serrasmurf » 10 Oct 2014, 06:35

I never acquire precon decks. My idea of quest is slowly developing a deck, not knowing exactly where the cards will bring you. Buying half a deck ruins that experience. But i can imagine other people liking it, wizards had a column named building on a budget where it was a regular fun excercise to take a precon and upgrade it to constructed level.

I read somewhere that card prices are to be updated/reviewed, it's just a matter of waiting for someone having the time and will to do so.
serrasmurf

Postby lujo » 10 Oct 2014, 09:13

Goliath764 wrote:I usually just do things my way instead of searching the web for "wonderkid list" or "sure-win tactics" because they make the game too easy too quickly.
So's mine generally, I stumbled into this when I sutumbled into really old precons in shop (well, they're not old by my standards XD) which I knew from RL (I used to be a tourney organizer and reginal distributor for this stuff among outher things related to it). I started googling the ones I didn't know :)

It's also kinda because I usually limit my car pool so that I can build up a base of cards which work together well, and playing the challenge with an unrestricted pool in the main world (and no draft) meant that the cards I was getting were all over the place. I wanted a bit of consistency, and well, I sure got it.

As for reviewing the cards prices - well, that's quite an undertaking depending on how one sets about it. Wouldn't mind helping out, though.
---

My Shandalar deck pack folder is avaliable here:Dropbox
Leave feedback on particular decks here: Google doc
Ask for instructions, give feedback and complaints here: Thread
lujo

Postby lujo » 10 Oct 2014, 20:32

On a "fishing for random bomby precons" note, there's a Tempest precon with 4 Musle Sliver 2 Overrun and... Aluren of al things in it. My my..

And, hilarious in hindsight, there's a Mirrodin one with 4 black and 4 red artifact lands, 2 Atog, Shrapnel Blast and 3 Disciple of the Vault. Oh, and 3 Pyrite Spellbomb. And 2 RB talismans.
---

lujo

Postby enterrrr » 13 Oct 2014, 00:09

Where can I download the Achievements pictures?
enterrrr

Postby Fizanko » 13 Oct 2014, 10:44

probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby enterrrr » 13 Oct 2014, 11:06

thank you!
enterrrr

Postby KrazyTheFox » 14 Oct 2014, 11:53

I think those are a bit out of date. I'll double check that after work.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby timmermac » 17 Oct 2014, 16:18

Sheesh... There's nothing like traveling to different quest worlds to find out how badly one sucks as a Magic player. In my current challenge, I traveled to Ravnica 13 matches ago and haven't won yet. I've tried my regular 5-color everything-including-the-kitchen-sink deck, a discard/counterspell/mill/removal deck and a goblin deck. Nein, nyet and nanka. I'm starting to get that 1988 Baltimore Orioles feeling again.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby Fizanko » 17 Oct 2014, 16:24

It's probably because you're doing it harder for yourself with your giant decks.
Already a 60-cards only deck require a bit of luck to get your strategy and combo working, but with decks of more than hundred cards, it's not a bit of luck you need to get your wanted cards coming at the right time, but a lot of luck.

I know it's hard to make choices when you have so many fun and good cards as i am always annoyed to have to let some fun out of my deck in order to keep it at 60, but to avoid having to depend too much on luck, it's really needed.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby timmermac » 17 Oct 2014, 16:38

If I can get the components, I have a Burning Elf deck that tops out at about 65-70 cards. It tends to work pretty well. I just don't have the components yet.

Burning Elves | Open
Code: Select all
4x Taiga
4x Stomping Ground
8x Forest
8x Mountain
4x Priest of Titania
4x Llanowar Elves
4x Skyshroud Elves
4x Elvish Champion
4x Beastmaster Ascension
4x Doubling Season
4x Fireball
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Blaze
4x Coat of Arms
4x Gaea's Anthem
That's the deck as originally conceived. I would add 4x Lush Growth and 4x Nylea's Presence as well.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby timmermac » 17 Oct 2014, 18:33

I made a Dragon deck for my challenge and it just did this in game 2 of the match.
Attachments
The Dragon Horde.png
timmermac
Tester

Postby lujo » 17 Oct 2014, 19:40

Fizanko wrote:It's probably because you're doing it harder for yourself with your giant decks.
Already a 60-cards only deck require a bit of luck to get your strategy and combo working, but with decks of more than hundred cards, it's not a bit of luck you need to get your wanted cards coming at the right time, but a lot of luck.
Well, this may come off strange but I actually feel the pain of being effectively limited to developing only one deck at a time in quest mode when you're constantly getting loads of cards you'd like to try out and play. It'd take quite a bit of time and effort to develop a quest mode which really has you building several different decks and using different colors, but it would be well worth it. Still, a lot more cards would need proper AI, but I really hope one day dungeon-like gauntlets like ones in shandalar could make it into the game.

In the meantime, timmermac, did you consider using whishes from the Judgment set to at least keep the ammount of cards down to a reasonable size? It's a bit of a shame that the full Oddisey block draft is very expert level stuff (I personally love it, well, I love 3X Oddisey but still, you haven't lived until you've developed a taste for that block), but if you could learn to win Oddisey block drafts (and if krazythefox would finally relent and let us not get random drafts when we use tokens), you could chain them and pick wishes when you win.

With 4 Living Wish and 4 Burning wish, and well, 4 cunning wish, or any combination of the 3 you could simply play stuff you want to have access to in the sideboard. There's also the golden wish if I remember correctly, not sure which set it's from, but you seem like the kind of guy who'd love those to death.

EDIT: Not that you have to overload yourself with them that much, they still take up mana and turns to cast and stuff, but having a few of them or a playset of one kind of whish could really get your results us AND allow you to play and tutor for whatever you want to have available to try out...
---

lujo

Postby timmermac » 17 Oct 2014, 20:10

It's a possibility. I just performed a massive pruning/reorganization of my decks, which eliminated my Big Deck and my oversized Goblin deck. Right now, I have 5 decks saved, the largest of which is my discard/counterspell/mill/removal deck, which is probably 550 cards, max. The rest aren't bigger than 75 cards each. The Burning Elf, Angel and New Goblin decks aren't ready for use yet, as they are all missing components. I'm going to start trying to keep everything but that discard deck to 100 cards max.
timmermac
Tester

Postby timmermac » 17 Oct 2014, 22:28

I'm running into massive problems in my challenge. I can't seem to build a functional deck worth a damn. My 60-ish card Dragon deck is too slow. My 60-ish card Sliver deck is inconsistent. My discard deck, after revisions, now has no way to eliminate creatures once they are out. My Goblin, Elf and Angel decks aren't ready for play yet. This is my current card pool, minus 700+ basic lands. Is there a workable deck in here, or am I going to be under .500 until I get to 150 or so matches? One of the reasons why I like to play with so many different cards is that it gives me time to get what usually wins games for me out. Honestly, I think I shot myself in the foot when I sold off all of the counterspells and removal that was in the discard deck. Bear in mind that my favorite deck types are Slivers, discard, elves, goblins, landwalkers and big creatures with supporting cards to go in those decks. I haven't managed to get my hands on any wishes yet.

My current cardpool | Open
Code: Select all
[metadata]
Name=Challenge
[Main]
1 Ancient Hellkite|M11
1 Angel of Fury|PO2
1 Angel of Mercy|8ED
1 Angel of Salvation|DDF
2 Archangel|PO2
1 Army of the Damned|C13
1 Basal Sliver|TSP
1 Black Vise|LEA
1 Black Vise|LEB
1 Blade Sliver|LGN
1 Blaze|6ED
1 Blood Crypt|RTR
1 Breeding Pool|GTC
1 Chill of Foreboding|DKA
1 Clot Sliver|TMP
1 Coastal Tower|INV
1 Coat of Arms|M10
1 Coerced Confession|GTC
1 Coercion|6ED
1 Coercion|PTK
1 Coercion|TMP
2 Consult the Necrosages|RAV
1 Corrupt|M11
1 Corrupt|SHM
3 Cry of Contrition|GPT
3 Crypt Sliver|LGN
1 Darkheart Sliver|PLC
1 Demonic Tutor|2ED
5 Destroy the Evidence|RTR
1 Diabolic Tutor|COM
1 Diabolic Tutor|M11
1 Diabolic Tutor|M12
1 Diabolic Tutor|ODY
5 Dimir Guildgate|DGM
3 Dimir Guildgate|GTC
1 Dismal Backwater|KTK
1 Dragon Hatchling|M13
1 Dragon Whelp|2ED
1 Drain Life|4ED
1 Drain Life|MIR
1 Duress|M11
1 Duress|M13
1 Duress|USG
1 Elixir of Immortality|M13
1 Fallen Angel|6ED
1 Feldon's Cane|TSB
1 Filigree Angel|ARB
2 Fireball|2ED
1 Fireball|ARC
2 Fireball|M10
2 Firemane Avenger|GTC
1 Forgestoker Dragon|BNG
1 Frenzy Sliver|FUT
1 Frontier Bivouac|KTK
1 Fury Sliver|PDS
1 Furyborn Hellkite|M12
1 Giant Strength|6ED
1 Glimpse the Unthinkable|RAV
1 Goblin Digging Team|6ED
1 Goblin King|8ED
1 Godless Shrine|GTC
2 Hallowed Fountain|RTR
3 Hellkite Igniter|MBS
1 Hibernation Sliver|STH
1 Homing Sliver|FUT
4 Horrifying Revelation|MBS
1 Howling Mine|7ED
1 Howling Mine|8ED
1 Hunter Sliver|LGN
1 Hymn to Tourach|FEM|4
2 Hypersonic Dragon|RTR
1 Hypnotic Cloud|INV
1 Hypnotic Specter|3ED
1 Hypnotic Specter|LEA
1 Illusory Angel|M15
1 Illusory Angel|PC2
1 Iridescent Angel|ODY
5 Izzet Guildgate|DGM
3 Izzet Guildgate|RTR
1 Jwar Isle Refuge|C13
1 Jwar Isle Refuge|PC2
1 Karplusan Forest|10E
1 Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund|ARB
1 Lava Axe|M14
1 Lightning Blast|6ED
1 Lightning Bolt|2ED
3 Lightning Bolt|M10
1 Llanowar Elves|2ED
1 Llanowar Elves|5ED
2 Llanowar Elves|M10
1 Luminous Angel|MRD
1 Megrim|M10
3 Mental Vapors|GTC
1 Metallic Sliver|TMP
1 Mind Burst|ODY
1 Mind Grind|GTC
1 Mind Rot|M10
4 Mind Rot|RTR
1 Mind Rot|S99
1 Mind Sculpt|M15
1 Mind Shatter|MOR
3 Mistvein Borderpost|ARB
2 Mons's Goblin Raiders|LEA
1 Muscle Sliver|TMP
1 Mystic Monastery|DDN
1 Needle Specter|EVE
1 Nightmare|M10
1 Nightmare Void|RAV
1 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius|RTR
1 Obelisk of Grixis|ALA
2 Oros, the Avenger|PLC
1 Ostracize|7ED
1 Overgrown Tomb|RAV
1 Overgrown Tomb|RTR
2 Paranoid Delusions|GTC
1 Phantasmal Dragon|M12
1 Pilfered Plans|DGM
1 Plated Sliver|LGN
1 Poultice Sliver|PLC
2 Psychic Drain|RAV
3 Pulling Teeth|MOR
1 Pyrotechnics|6ED
3 Quick Sliver|LGN
1 Quilled Sliver|TSP
1 Raging Goblin|M10
6 Rakdos Guildgate|DGM
8 Rakdos Guildgate|RTR
3 Rakshasa's Secret|KTK
1 Raven's Crime|MMA
1 Sacred Foundry|RAV
1 Savage Lands|ALA
1 Savannah|3ED
1 Scion of the Ur-Dragon|TSP
1 Scoured Barrens|KTK
1 Seaside Citadel|ALA
1 Serra Angel|2ED
1 Shivan Dragon|4ED
3 Shivan Dragon|M10
1 Shivan Oasis|8ED
1 Shock|8ED
2 Sign in Blood|M10
2 Sign in Blood|M11
1 Sinew Sliver|PLC
1 Skull Fracture|ODY
1 Sliver Hive|M15
5 Snow-Covered Forest|CSP
10 Snow-Covered Forest|ICE
5 Snow-Covered Island|CSP
10 Snow-Covered Island|ICE
9 Snow-Covered Mountain|CSP
10 Snow-Covered Mountain|ICE
5 Snow-Covered Plains|CSP
10 Snow-Covered Plains|ICE
6 Snow-Covered Swamp|CSP
10 Snow-Covered Swamp|ICE
4 Spawn of Thraxes|JOU
1 Spellbook|M10
2 Spitting Sliver|PLC
1 Steam Vents|RTR
1 Stomping Ground|GPT
1 Stomping Ground|GTC
1 Surging Dementia|CSP
1 Swiftwater Cliffs|KTK
2 Syphon Mind|ONS
1 Temple Garden|RAV
3 Temple Garden|RTR
1 Temple of Enlightenment|BNG
1 Temple of Epiphany|JOU
1 Temple of Plenty|BNG
1 Thalakos Lowlands|TMP
1 Thornwood Falls|KTK
1 Tome Scour|M10
1 Traumatize|M10
1 Unburden|SCG
1 Undercity Plague|GTC
1 Unnerve|COM
1 Urza's Mine|5ED
1 Urza's Mine|CHR|4
1 Urza's Power Plant|5ED
1 Urza's Power Plant|ATQ|3
2 Utvara Hellkite|RTR
1 Victory's Herald|MBS
1 Volcanic Geyser|6ED
3 Ward Sliver|LGN
1 Watcher Sliver|TSP
1 Watery Grave|RAV
1 Wind-Scarred Crag|KTK
1 Winged Sliver|TMP
[Sideboard]

timmermac
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Forge