Postby drdev » 30 May 2015, 19:02

I just released 1.5.40.005, which contains several fixes for Landscape mode:

- Fixed so deck editor and viewer show full screen always
- Fixed display issue with tutor and sideboard dialogs
- Fix layout of Bug Report dialog for landscape mode
- Prevent crash if you try "View Deck List" before any player receives priority
- Fix crash when resolving Stonehewer Giant Avatar's ability
- Prevent items on Load Quest and Load Gauntlet screens getting cut off
- Fixed so pressing Back when main menu is visible will prompt to exit instead of navigating around. The exception is if the current screen has a back button, like the deck chooser, spell shop, and bazaar screens.
- Fixed so when opening quest mode for the first time, the menu on the left scrolls down to the added "Quest Mode" item

Thank you to those who have provided feedback. Let me know if there's anything more that isn't quite working right yet.

Thanks.
-Dan
drdev
Programmer

Re: Forge Android App: 5-30-2015 Alpha 1.5.40.005

Postby philocritus » 30 May 2015, 20:04

thank you drdev.
the "choose window" bug is solved on the latest version.
as for the deck list bug, I tried to replicate it on the latest version and it seems solved.
at least I couldnt do it...
I try to be more specific if it happens again.
philocritus

Postby 5enza » 31 May 2015, 01:36

drdev -
Thanks for landscape orientation! So much cleaner! I found no major issues so far with .005. One thing I did notice is that when there are many creatures in combat, the targeting arrows sit on top of the UI for creatures that are scrolled out of view. I personally don't mind and think it actually may make things less confusing than hiding them behind the UI. I wanted to at least bring it up. I included some screenshots of the behavior. Thanks!

Screenshot_2015-05-30-17-01-54.jpg

Screenshot_2015-05-30-17-02-28.jpg
5enza

Postby TheNyGuy » 31 May 2015, 02:54

Thanks a lot! Clearing the fonts cache worked.
TheNyGuy

Postby krishkrush » 31 May 2015, 10:02

Great update with the landscape mode! Forge is THE most used app by far on my tablet since release of this alpha. I can't thank you enough, drdev.
However i would like to make a few request / report some issues:

- Since the landscape update, when I lock the screen of my tablet and then unlock it again, the whole screen is a graphical glitch and i have to restart the app. This happened sometimes with the normal mode too, but i get this now all the time in landscape mode

- The part of the screen where your hand / graveyard etc. is displayed is in my opinion much less clear as in normal mode. The arrangement hides most of the cards necessary information such as mana cost, power, toughness and so on. So you have to touch each card aside from the frontline to see this information. When you play less known decks, this will slow you down significantly

- Could you perhaps add a little button to the match start screen which allows you to randomly select your deck? As it is now, you have to first touch your selected deck to get to the deck selection screen to be able to touch the random deck button. Personally, I do this multiple times as i am not always happy with the random selection. So a button at the front screen would save a bit of time.

- Also, since my tablet updated to lolipop android version, i have to touch everything two times (This happens only in forge). It's really hard to describe. It seems i have to touch the screen (the location on the screens seems irrelevant) to actually display what should happen. So for example: I want my creature to attack, so i tap on it in the declare attackers phase. Nothing happens. I tap anywhere on the screen. The attack symbol is now displayed. Another example: I want to proceed to the next phase. I tap on ok. Nothing happens. I tap anywhere. Forge proceeds to the next phase. This is seriously tedious and often leads to wrong actions if i happen to unknowingly undeclare my attackers because i thought i didn't touch the screen.
krishkrush

Postby drdev » 31 May 2015, 10:38

krishkrush wrote:- Since the landscape update, when I lock the screen of my tablet and then unlock it again, the whole screen is a graphical glitch and i have to restart the app. This happened sometimes with the normal mode too, but i get this now all the time in landscape mode
Does anything show up in Forge/data/forge.log when this happens? That would help me track down what's happening.

krishkrush wrote:- The part of the screen where your hand / graveyard etc. is displayed is in my opinion much less clear as in normal mode. The arrangement hides most of the cards necessary information such as mana cost, power, toughness and so on. So you have to touch each card aside from the frontline to see this information. When you play less known decks, this will slow you down significantly
Yeah, I thought this might be an issue. I wasn't really sure how else to display the hand however, as there's not room for its own row. Would a setting or toggle to disable overlap in favor of vertical scrolling help here, or do you have any other ideas?

krishkrush wrote:- Could you perhaps add a little button to the match start screen which allows you to randomly select your deck? As it is now, you have to first touch your selected deck to get to the deck selection screen to be able to touch the random deck button. Personally, I do this multiple times as i am not always happy with the random selection. So a button at the front screen would save a bit of time.
I'd rather not muddy the constructed screen with another button, so what if I simply made it so the Random Deck button no longer automatically goes back to the previous screen? That way you just press Back manually when you're good with the deck that gets randomly selected.

krishkrush wrote:- Also, since my tablet updated to lolipop android version, i have to touch everything two times (This happens only in forge). It's really hard to describe. It seems i have to touch the screen (the location on the screens seems irrelevant) to actually display what should happen. So for example: I want my creature to attack, so i tap on it in the declare attackers phase. Nothing happens. I tap anywhere on the screen. The attack symbol is now displayed. Another example: I want to proceed to the next phase. I tap on ok. Nothing happens. I tap anywhere. Forge proceeds to the next phase. This is seriously tedious and often leads to wrong actions if i happen to unknowingly undeclare my attackers because i thought i didn't touch the screen.
Well that's weird, and the first I've heard of such an issue. If I had to guess, it sounds like the game engine is triggering a render before executing the touch event logic instead of after, causing the effects of each such event to not be seen until the next event. Is this happening on menu screens too, or only during matches when things are being processed in the background? If only during matches, I may be able to address the issue with a pretty simple fix.

Thanks for all the great feedback.
-Dan
drdev
Programmer

Postby krishkrush » 31 May 2015, 11:37

I try to upload the log file soon.

Regarding the display of the hand part, If you would disable overlapping, at least on my tablet at least 4 cards would be be displayed in the same space. Maybe add another row and you would have space for 6. Most of the time, you don't have more than 7 cards in your hand (aside from decks with a lot of card draw). Maybe you could set a threshold where the cards overlap if you have more than 6 or 7 cards? Or you let the cards overlap horizontical and rearrange the display of the mana cost to the right middle side of the cards. Personally i often identify / choose cards by looking at the mana costs and power / toughness. The display of names i secondary at least for me. Maybe add an option to change between both modes? One last (radical) idea would be: Move the bottom bar with the ok and end turn button as well as phase information to where the hand is now displayed and move the hand to the bottom of the screen.

Regarding the random deck button: Yes this would have been my second favourite solution, but that would also greatly help.

Last but not least: The douple tap issue also happens in deck editor mode. Also I forgot to mention that it takes some time to happen, at game start all is normal, so it seems its depending on the number of displayed cards / processes happening.
krishkrush

Postby krishkrush » 31 May 2015, 12:37

The forge.log is empty. Is this normal?
krishkrush

Postby drdev » 31 May 2015, 12:40

krishkrush wrote:The forge.log is empty. Is this normal?
There is usually something in there. Can you run Forge and check again?
drdev
Programmer

Postby krishkrush » 31 May 2015, 12:48

I just discovered something:

If I lock the screen while holding my tablet horizontally and keep holding it that way while unlocking it again, forge proceeds as normal. If i change to vertical view while unlocking it, the glitch happens. So it seems it's somehow connected to the change of portrait and landscape mode.

Also, the forge log empties when the glitch appears??? It had a size when i checked before the glitch. Now it's 0.
krishkrush

Postby krishkrush » 31 May 2015, 13:06

Also to clarify as I'm not a native english speaker:

With "locking the screen" I don't mean locking the screen orientation. I'm talking about turning off the screen of the tablet.
krishkrush

Postby philocritus » 31 May 2015, 13:12

krishkrush wrote:I just discovered something:

If I lock the screen while holding my tablet horizontally and keep holding it that way while unlocking it again, forge proceeds as normal. If i change to vertical view while unlocking it, the glitch happens. So it seems it's somehow connected to the change of portrait and landscape mode.

Also, the forge log empties when the glitch appears??? It had a size when i checked before the glitch. Now it's 0.
I also noticed that bug before the landscape alpha was released.
Just thinking out loud as a really novice android dev, this might have something to do with the activity being restarted when the device orientation changes( onDestroy() is called following by onCreate() ).
philocritus

Postby drdev » 31 May 2015, 13:35

philocritus wrote:
krishkrush wrote:I just discovered something:

I also noticed that bug before the landscape alpha was released.
Just thinking out loud as a really novice android dev, this might have something to do with the activity being restarted when the device orientation changes( onDestroy() is called following by onCreate() ).
That makes sense, and should be pretty easy to fix. Thanks for the investigation.
drdev
Programmer

Postby gbraad » 31 May 2015, 17:07

drdev wrote:I just released 1.5.40.005
<snip/>
- Fix crash when resolving Stonehewer Giant Avatar's ability
Confirmed as fixed
gbraad

Postby Agetian » 31 May 2015, 19:58

Tested on 1.5.40.005: Android Forge leaks the color info of face-down Morph cards (when a morph is played, the item on the stack is colored and gives away the color of the creature, ditto the card detail info).
EDIT: Fixed (r29535).
EDIT: Nah, the fix didn't work, will revert. Meh...
EDIT: Implemented a hack (r29538) that at least makes the game stop leaking the color info both on stack and in card details (both in mobile and desktop builds). It's ugly though, feel free to commit a better fix when/if one is available. ;) Please note that this workaround has a nasty side effect (which, I think, is still better than leaking the color information at all times) - if you legally can see the face-down card (e.g. via Keeper of the Lens), the card detail info will still show the face-down brownish border for the card when in card detail info mode. Therefore, it's still a suboptimal hacky fix... :(

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Forge