It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:53

Text Size

How would you start as a magic newbie (Forge specific)?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

How would you start as a magic newbie (Forge specific)?

Postby bevryde » 07 Aug 2014, 13:06

Hi guys,

I'm a bloody newbie in Magic. In my real life I cannot and don't want to play against humans (yet), no Magic players I know.

I want to start against the PC and Forge seems to be the one and only appropriate software.

If you were a newbie, where would you start? There's the deck download in http://mark.tvk.rwth-aachen.de/software/forge/ - maybe you could recommend me some pre made decks. Also pls. recommend me decks for AI. Which game mode? I think cards should not be too complicated for a beginner. I want to have fun before going into "magic science" ;)

For a romantic reason, I'd prefer to play something green or green/mixed... Often my user name in www is "Tapio", it's a forest god. I love the forest and also Sibelius' "Tapiola" masterpiece. Its a symphonic work. Tapiola is Tapios realm. All good reasons to go green :)

Thanks!
bevryde

Re: How would you start as a magic newbie (Forge specific)?

Postby KrazyTheFox » 07 Aug 2014, 23:26

I wasn't new to Magic when I started playing Forge, though I also wasn't particularly good at it. I pretty much just went straight into Quest mode and started playing there. I'd recommend starting a quest using Standard Format cards (it'll be in a drop-down menu) and set the starting bias to green. You can change the preferences to more heavily favor green, too. This will give you a decent sized card pool to start, but also won't be so big that you'll get lost. It won't be easy to start, but stick with it and you'll notice yourself improving as time goes on.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby timmermac » 08 Aug 2014, 13:06

I would also recommend using a text editor to edit quest.preferences to give yourself more credits to start with. That way, you'll be able to get all the bazaar goodies that make quest mode easier.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 09 Aug 2014, 14:40

Best way to start is find a local game store and MEET some magic players.
http://locator.wizards.com/

Forge is great for honing skills, but you're not going to learn strategy. If it weren't for playing against humans, (and losing a lot) I wouldn't have learned the nuances of the game. By then trying to teach the game to my kids (11 yo daughter has playing since 5 and 8 yo son playing since 6) I learn even more because I'm not concerned about winning, I can offer the "better play" to them.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 09 Aug 2014, 14:53

I'd personally recommend getting Duels of the Planeswalker for a straight-up newbie. That software is more designed for new players in mind, and has more tutorial friendly aspect of things. Forge while we do handle all the rules, doesn't particular explain what's going on to you in a manner conducive to learning. You can probably find one of the older DotP for pretty cheap on steam, and then once you have all the basics down find your way to Quest mode on Forge.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby bevryde » 10 Aug 2014, 06:27

Thanks for your kind replies guys. I bought dotp14/15; but I have removed dotp15 because I cannot get used to that ridiculously terrible UI. dotp14 is OK for me. Only problem: I have fun with deck building; also I want to test and try a specific deck.

Forge is better in every aspect, I'm a PC veteran loving traditional software, Forge is a lighthouse here.
I passionately hate the dotp official software due to braindead design decisions and artificial limitations.

Back to topic: I play quest mode now and I like it. I lost horribly a few times, but I learn. I just don't know how to deal with the many "Ai can't play cards well..."

I cannot afford time in my RL for meeting real players. My friends and relatives are enough :) but aren't magic players. That's fine.
bevryde

Postby Fizanko » 10 Aug 2014, 16:05

bevryde wrote:I just don't know how to deal with the many "Ai can't play cards well..."
It means that the AI will play those cards, but may not play them smart or appropriately to circumstances.
Overall do not worry about this message, the AI can still beat you with those decks ;)
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Return to Forge