It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:43

Text Size

Forge - Quest mode questions

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Forge - Quest mode questions

Postby Thesaguy » 19 Aug 2014, 16:42

Hi, I’m a long time Shandalar player that finally decided to give Forge’s quest mode a try. I must say this is a wonderful app! Wonderful job guys!!

First off, it was a little difficult understanding how to get going, but after delving through some posts, I think I have it down.

I’m not sure about the HQ pictures, I downloaded the 4 zips I found, but then found a 3GB file here: //mark.tvk.rwth-aachen.de/software/forge/ (I had to remove the link)
So I think I have those now.

My main question is regarding decks. What deck files does the AI use and how does the AI distinguish between Easy – Hard decks?
I’ve found a ton of deck files/threads and have downloaded these and put them in my decks folder. I’m unclear if these are just player created decks I can look/use or if the AI uses any of these decks.

My last question is regarding Quest Mode game setup.
I was wondering how people approach this. I realize there are multiple ways. My first attempt, I randomly loaded one of the decks I downloaded as my starting deck. It was a elf deck and was actually very strong. I decided to start a new game, since I wanted a challenge where I had to build a deck, rather than just start with a good deck. I decided to go with a draft deck. I first drafted the deck, then used that deck as my starting deck in quest mode. I was wondering how other players start their quest games.

Are there any good youtube guides/game play on Forge?

Thanks.
Thesaguy

Re: Forge - Quest mode questions

Postby friarsol » 19 Aug 2014, 17:13

1. Decks in Quest Mode

Quest mode is self sufficient. So when you download Forge, you don't need to download anything "extra" to be able to play in Quest mode. The decks are built and designed by developers on our team, most of which have been built by Sloth. Typically, these decks are playtested with a variety of decks to see where they fall on the Easy/Medium/Hard/Expert scale. Most of the times they are built to fit on the scale somewhere, and then tweaked appropriately if too strong or too easy.

The decks you downloaded are available in the constructed (or gauntlet mode). Which is equivilant to the "Duel" or "Guantlet" mode in the Microprose Magic game. The AI is much more likely to play the Quest decks well, than random decks that you may have found from one of Gos' collections.

2. New quests

Personally I always start Quests with a brand new pool, and build started decks from there. Typically, I look through my starting pool and pick 2-3 colors in a very similar way to sealed deck. Where are my best bombs, where are my best removal. Is it worth splashing into that third color? I also start in the Main World which gives me the full pool of cards, since I like finding random cards that I've never seen before and seeing how they work in a limited constructed deck.

Some other things I would recommend: don't be afraid to sell cards to make some money. Always check the spell shop in between games to help improve your deck. Quest mode is considered a "limited" environment so you are allowed to play 40 card decks. Check out the bazaar, there's a whole bunch of different items available to help you out in different manners.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Return to Forge