It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:26

Text Size

AI actually drafting or using pre-made decks?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

AI actually drafting or using pre-made decks?

Postby phantumdragun » 10 Sep 2014, 19:41

Hi,

I love Forge and I'm pretty new to magic so it might just be that I'm not very good. But it seems to me that the AI in the booster draft make very good decks. It's to the point where I question if they actually drafted them or if they simply used a preconstructed deck. Some of them have such good synergy I find it hard to believe that they actually drafted it.

Again, it could be that I just suck, however I don't think I'm THAT bad. I know how to draft and I put together decent decks that work but I get slaughtered by some of these AI decks that they supposedly drafted in the same draft as me.

Just figured I would ask since either I'm really bad and need to improve or they are not actually drafting, and knowing the answer would greatly help me, either way.

Thanks.
phantumdragun

Re: AI actually drafting or using pre-made decks?

Postby Fizanko » 10 Sep 2014, 20:06

The AI is very good at drafting in Forge with cards it can actually play, i remember someone asked already about the AI in a draft dedicaced thread in the developer board and there was no pre-made deck.

So in the end, do not underestimate the draft AI, it's quite competent at building very good decks (of course probably influenced by the blocks the draft is based on) so you can't really relax your attention during the drafting itself, it gives a great sense of achievement when you manage to win a tournament.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby phantumdragun » 23 Sep 2014, 14:08

Yeah, I'm pretty sure now, after playing a lot over the past weeks, that the AI is drafting. They are good and will punish you for not putting together a really GOOD decks. Because you can't just beat one, you have to beat them all. So you better have a deck capable of beating all the others. It can't just be a solid deck it has to be really good. If you are weak to flyers, ONE of the AI opponents will expose that and destroy you. All your bases must be covered.

I was just a little confused at first because I kept losing to the FIRST opponent. But over time I realized that I was losing to a few or one of the AI opponents, and it was only sometimes the first. In other words, not every opponent has a fantastic deck. They all make sense but they aren't all super difficult to beat.

It's good though, because if it was easy it wouldn't be fun. And you get to try out new ideas in an environment that is challenging enough to give you valuable information about your deck. It's nice to know that if I can beat all 7 opponents with a deck, without retrying, I probably have a good deck.

Human opponents are even better than the AI so it's not a perfect correlation, but the AI is good enough to give you an idea. If you can't beat the AI your deck is probably not good enough to win a competitive FNM. But it's a good way to test out archetypes over and over without consequence or cost. And find out what the flaws are and how to improve it.
phantumdragun

Postby gecktrix » 01 Oct 2014, 22:58

I drafted a cube with singleton set as true and I faced an opponent that had one of the same cards that I did... does that mean they do not draft the deck?
gecktrix

Return to Forge