It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:11

Text Size

Tim's Quest Mode Challenge

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Tim's Quest Mode Challenge

Postby timmermac » 05 Oct 2014, 16:08

See opening post in topic for rules updates/clarification. As mentioned in the rules, multiple consecutive posts are permitted in this topic. Since I seem to have done a rather bad job of setting up this challenge, and since I actually don't like the fast progression of difficulty levels that the default preferences give, I'm considering a reset with the following changes in quest.preferences: WINS_RANKUP set to 50 or 100, and WINS_MEDIUMAI, WINS_HARDAI, and WINS_EXPERTAI set to 3x, 6x and 9x of WINS_RANKUP. If there are objections, I won't do it, but I like to see quests with more time spent before the really hard decks start appearing.

Edit: I'll give it until 1000 Pacific Time today for objections. Also, if anybody has additional changes to the ruleset they want to suggest, now is the time to speak.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby KrazyTheFox » 05 Oct 2014, 16:29

No objections here. I'm not really a fan of the Expert difficulty's difficulty thresholds either.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 05 Oct 2014, 16:37

Meh. I probably won't reset my thing, but Expert is definitely a different beast, and it scales very quickly to harder opponents.

50 or 100 sounds way to high, and being 3x that amount for Difficulty upgrade also sounds way too much. That means you'd be playing against Easy opponents for 150 or 300 games wins? Thats.. way too high. Are people even going to play that much? Maybe 20/40/60 Wins.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby timmermac » 05 Oct 2014, 16:46

Would 25 be acceptable?
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby timmermac » 05 Oct 2014, 17:02

Okay. Please see first post for new information regarding this challenge.
timmermac
Tester

Postby friarsol » 05 Oct 2014, 17:03

timmermac wrote:Would 25 be acceptable?
Much better than 50 or 100.

lujo wrote:Second - I'm having trouble keeping up with the updates, as I'm prone to change stuff after every single match. There are always a few cards which are strict upgrades on whatever is in the deck. If I recorded every change i'd be spamming VERY hard.

Fourth: 40 cards decks probably aren't a good idea, just my 2 cents. They're kinda inherently broken in constructed.
Yea I don't update every purchase, only post my deck when I post every 10 wins. My deck gets lots of small tweaks to it. Obviously I didn't propose the challenge, but posting your deck every X wins shows an interesting progression.

Sure broken in constructed, but I've already played 25 games, and I barely have 4 pieces to a combo deck, lots of gaps, and a sketchy mana base. If we had an unlimited spell shop, it would certainly be a different story. I'm already playing against opponents with Moxen, and Duals, and other nonsense. But people should play how they want to play, that's part of the fun to see what different people do right?
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby timmermac » 05 Oct 2014, 17:28

After the reset, my starting deck

Sort of Grixis-y | Open
Code: Select all
[metadata]
Name=Challenge
[Main]
1 Air Elemental|7ED
1 Beacon of Destruction|10E
1 Cloud Dragon|POR
1 Drain Life|3ED
1 Duress|USG
1 Fallen Angel|7ED
1 Fireball|LEB
1 Goblin Arsonist|M13
1 Goblin Raider|USG
1 Halam Djinn|INV
1 Halimar Wavewatch|ROE
7 Island|PC2|5
1 Lightning Bolt|LEB
3 Mountain|PC2|3
4 Mountain|PC2|4
1 Patron of the Akki|BOK
1 Raging Goblin|POR|2
1 Remove Soul|9ED
1 Shatter|TMP
1 Stone Rain|ICE
3 Swamp|PC2|4
4 Swamp|PC2|5
1 Swat|ULG
1 Terror|6ED
[Sideboard]

timmermac
Tester

Postby lujo » 05 Oct 2014, 17:31

Sure broken in constructed, but I've already played 25 games, and I barely have 4 pieces to a combo deck, lots of gaps, and a sketchy mana base. If we had an unlimited spell shop, it would certainly be a different story. I'm already playing against opponents with Moxen, and Duals, and other nonsense. But people should play how they want to play, that's part of the fun to see what different people do right?
Well, true, but there's way more to it than combo decks - I intentionaly went for 60 right of the bat because I knew that if I went for 40 the results would be meaningless. You draw into your bombs more easily, mulligans are an order of magnitude stronger - you can easily draft well over 22-3 playables in varios draft formats, and there's no restriction to how big a limited deck can be, but the advantage of having 40 cards compared to anything else is just too huge.

Essentially, if you're playing a 40 card deck and your record is less than All-0, either you're playing against really degenerate decks (whether they look like that or not), or you've made serious jugdment errors in deckbuilding (for example judging your mana base), or you've got a really awful pool. A whole set of cards are tournament staples because they allow you to replicate the effects of having less than 60 cards in your deck.

But hey, to each his own. If this sounds patronizing or something, I'll do a run with a 40 card deck.

As for the limits 20/40/60 certainly ought to give you a bit more time to get some cards. Should all purchases be made in the main world, or can we shop around? It makes a big difference.

Also, buying precons probably shouldn't be allowed.

And, can I please restrict my pool to not include white border and pictureless stuff? Because I generally sell it all on the spot anyway, and filter out the shops to not even display it? (White borders = just reprints anyway, and pictureless is currently mostly reprints and BNG, JOU and KTK cards).
---

My Shandalar deck pack folder is avaliable here:Dropbox
Leave feedback on particular decks here: Google doc
Ask for instructions, give feedback and complaints here: Thread
lujo

Postby timmermac » 05 Oct 2014, 17:40

Please see the ruleset in the opening post of this thread. Also, You can use the separate Forge picture downloader tool mentioned in this thread to get any card pics that you are missing.
timmermac
Tester

Postby timmermac » 05 Oct 2014, 17:53

timmermac
Tester

Postby timmermac » 05 Oct 2014, 18:06

timmermac
Tester

Postby timmermac » 05 Oct 2014, 18:41

Added a Lava Axe
timmermac
Tester

Postby supercommiefu » 05 Oct 2014, 19:29

When I try to make the Wins for Hard AI 150, I get an error saying the value is too large and that it can't be more than 100. What am I doing incorrectly?
supercommiefu

Postby timmermac » 05 Oct 2014, 19:42

You need to edit quest.preferences in Notepad or your text editor of choice.
timmermac
Tester

Postby friarsol » 05 Oct 2014, 20:02

Oh you changed the rules way differently than I was suggesting. I wasn't saying 25 for a rank change, I was saying 25 for a difficulty change. I guess I might as well stop this little project, since it seems to be off the rails a little bit.
friarsol
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Forge