It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:06

Text Size

MTGO Releases

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Should we add MTGO specific "sets" into Forge?

Yes
90%
No
10%
I don't care/what's MTGO?
No votes

Total votes : 20

MTGO Releases

Postby friarsol » 23 Feb 2015, 16:40

In the past, we've typically decided not to include the "MTGO sets" as sets inside of Forge. I think part of this stems from the fact that we weren't trying to be an MTGO clone, we we were just trying to be a Magic (Card) Engine. Many of the cards in these extra sets appear in MTGO for a particular reason, they never really released these sets in MTGO, which is not a problem that Forge is restricted by. Now with the continual releases of sets (either the ones designed specifically for drafting, or just the ones designed to flood the market with unavailable cards), maybe it's time to ask the question if we should officially support these sets in Forge.

Feel free to vote in the poll, but I'm more looking for opinions and discussion.

Just for example there's Masters Edition 1-4 (mostly reprint sets), Vintage Masters (drafting), and the newly announced Tempest Remastered. Which is taking the Rath Cycle and condensing it down to a single draftable set.

Tempest Remastered is a 269-card set, containing 101 commons, 80 uncommons, 53 rares, 15 mythic rares, and 20 basic lands from the Tempest, Stronghold, and Exodus sets. Tempest Remastered will be available in booster pack form, with each booster retailing for $3.99. Each pack will contain the following:

10 commons
3 uncommons
1 rare or mythic rare
1 basic land

Each pack has a chance at a premium card replacing one of the common slots, with the same odds as other Magic booster packs.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Re: MTGO Releases

Postby ZzzzSleep » 23 Feb 2015, 21:50

I don't know that it's worth implementing the reprint sets, but ones designed for drafting sound like they would be useful for more tournament options in Quest mode.
ZzzzSleep

Postby 5enza » 27 Feb 2015, 18:36

ZzzzSleep wrote:I don't know that it's worth implementing the reprint sets, but ones designed for drafting sound like they would be useful for more tournament options in Quest mode.
I agree. Vintage Masters, and now Tempest Remastered, were designed with limited play as the core experience. For that reason alone, I think it's worth having them.
5enza

Postby Agetian » 01 Mar 2015, 17:07

I think it's a good idea to add sets that offer functionality beyond being mere reprints - for instance, I vote for both Vintage Masters and Tempest Remastered to eventually become a part of Forge because they're designed with peculiar draft experience in mind that is unique to these sets (at least true for VMA, and as far as I understand Tempest Remastered is being made with a similar design goal).

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 30 Mar 2015, 16:23

Looks like the Spoilers for Tempest Restored is out:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2015-03-30

Hopefully they'll be out on Gatherer soon so it'll be easier to strip into an edition file.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Frgrbrgr » 30 Mar 2015, 17:20

Agetian wrote:I think it's a good idea to add sets that offer functionality beyond being mere reprints - for instance, I vote for both Vintage Masters and Tempest Remastered to eventually become a part of Forge because they're designed with peculiar draft experience in mind that is unique to these sets (at least true for VMA, and as far as I understand Tempest Remastered is being made with a similar design goal).

- Agetian
Seconding this. Vintage Masters and Tempest Remastered are draftable and interesting sets, it would be great if we could get them added in Booster Draft, Sealed, and as Quest Tournaments.
Frgrbrgr

Postby RandomPerson » 03 Apr 2015, 01:29

I'd appreciate these sets being added for quests, as well - as it stands, getting one's hands on a copy of Force of Will (which I've been attempting the past while) is painful. It can only be had from Alliances, and the only way to grind for it is by repeatedly spawning Ice Age tournaments (and have you drafted Ice Age? It's miserable) and hoping they turn out to be Ice Age/Alliances/Coldsnap.
RandomPerson

Postby serrasmurf » 07 Apr 2015, 09:21

extra quest draft formats are always welcome, as are extra opportunities to get certain cards
serrasmurf

Postby Bog Wraith » 07 Apr 2015, 13:07

As someone who has created two MTGO cubes for Forge, I obviously support this inclusion.

Vintage Masters Cube
viewtopic.php?p=154573#p154573

Legacy Cube
viewtopic.php?p=176756#p176756

I love playing with them and created both to be playable in draft & sealed deck formats.

I'll continue to create these cubes whenever a new one is released as I have fun making them. I also get a good look at each card when I do so as it gives me a chance to evaluate the cards individually and as a whole to be better prepared to draft & play with them in the meta game that is produced for that specific set.
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Return to Forge