It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:05

Text Size

Is this really supposed to happen?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Is this really supposed to happen?

Postby Iopas » 23 Sep 2015, 05:44

Hi.

Made a deck using the Painter's Servant + Teysa, Orzhov Scion combo. Servant makes all creatures black, and white token spawners (Raise the Alarm, Lingering Souls, Gather the Townsfolk) let Teysa sacrifice three tokens and get three tokens back, to exile the opponent's creatures to infinininininity. Good fun, and very strong against the AIs creature based decks.

Next step, I found cards that are cheap and react to creatures dying on our side, Blood Artist and Unruly Mob. This seems to work quite well, depending on your standards.

But then I noticed something. My board state was Painter's Servant, Teysa, Orzhov Scion, Unruly Mob, and 3 spirits. Opponent's board was gone. No way I'd lose. Except that I misclicked, thinking I was in the declare attackers phase, and exiled one of the tokens, sacrificing three tokens to do it. Except it didn't get exiled. The Teysa-exile targets a token that gets sacrificed and therefore fizzles. But Unruly Mob still got its counters. And here's my question: Is this the way it's supposed to go? Should this be possible? 'Cause it's very good.

I repeated this for quite some time and got the mythic overkill achievement.

Thanks for any help
Iopas

Re: Is this really supposed to happen?

Postby Bionisam » 02 Oct 2015, 16:21

I believe this is working properly, based on how you described it.

Essentially, you are activating Teysa's ability, targeting one of your 3 tokens, then sacrificing the 3 tokens to pay the cost for the ability. It's definitely a bit weird, but the Comp rules 601 and 602 state that you select a target first, then pay the appropriate cost for the activated ability. So yes, it is possible to target the token you're about to sacrifice.
Bionisam

Return to Forge