It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:10

Text Size

Forge versions query

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Forge versions query

Postby RumbleBBU » 02 Oct 2015, 05:24

I have been out of the loop for a while, and looking to upgrade my Forge version. However, there seem to be various bugs and problems in the more recent versions. So, basically, I would like to know which version you consider the most recent reasonably stable and bug-free release.

I mostly play Quest mode (occasionally Sealed Deck), so I'm most especially interested in those modes (including challenges) working smoothly. Also, I've seen reports of targeting arrows not working, and among the reports of cards not working correctly, some have listed Propaganda and Apathy (I often play opponents who use them).

All these work nicely in my installed (old) version, and I'd be loath to upgrade if that meant losing any of this functionality.

What is the most recent 'stable' version you could recommend? It doesn't have to be an actual 'official' release, a snapshot will be just fine.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
RumbleBBU

Re: Forge versions query

Postby friarsol » 02 Oct 2015, 13:02

I recommend the latest beta release (or the release that hopefully will come out today with BFZ cards). I don't know anything about Propaganda not working, I was just playing against it last night and it was working just fine. Half of the reports that show up are not reproducible. And not all reports are responded to when they are fixed. We can't really help people on older versions. If you're really that worried install the latest version to a different folder, and see if it's working.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby RumbleBBU » 03 Oct 2015, 04:36

Thanks for the good reply, Sol!
That answer is probably the correct one.

Yeah, I know, ask a stupid question... :lol: or maybe not stupid but what may at least seem like a loaded one.

Maybe I should elaborate what I meant. My past experience was that not all betas were created equal. On the eve of a beta release, one of the devs would commit some radical refactoring that would break game functionality and, as a result, some critical part of the game (like Sealed Deck games or Quest challenges) would not work at all. Some of the most playable versions were not the actual betas but the subsequent snapshots that fixed the key problems in the betas.
Sometimes the problems were very subtle and insidious and wouldn't surface or be fixed until many versions later.

As a result, I had to skip or postpone upgrading my playing environment (as opposed to my dev environment, which was always up to date) for several versions. Only when a satisfactorily working beta came out, I finally upgraded.

Having been out of the loop for a while, I had no idea (aside from what I read here) if the more recent betas were still like that. Possibly not.

But what you suggest sounds like the best option. If the newest beta doesn't pan out for me, I can of course always stick with what I already have (no matter how old my current version is).
RumbleBBU

Postby RumbleBBU » 03 Oct 2015, 07:34

Addendum - and I just did, grabbed the new .46 release and played a Quest duel and a challenge.

First impression, worked pretty neatly, and not too differently from my ages-old version. Oh well, never saw any targeting arrows, though :( which was a letdown. The Quest I imported was a red aggro/tempo one (fast creatures, burn and 2 Gauntlets of Might, you know the drill, consistently kills in a couple of turns), and it was important to know which creatures were getting blocked by whom. Arrows, which did display in the old version, would have helped.

Other than that, very smooth. And ~1500 new cards compared to my old version.
RumbleBBU

Postby friarsol » 03 Oct 2015, 20:05

RumbleBBU wrote:First impression, worked pretty neatly, and not too differently from my ages-old version. Oh well, never saw any targeting arrows, though :( which was a letdown. The Quest I imported was a red aggro/tempo one (fast creatures, burn and 2 Gauntlets of Might, you know the drill, consistently kills in a couple of turns), and it was important to know which creatures were getting blocked by whom. Arrows, which did display in the old version, would have helped.
Targeting/blocking arrows work for me. They might be disabled by default in newer versions than what you were on? I think I had to turn mine back on semi-recently.

RumbleBBU wrote:Having been out of the loop for a while, I had no idea (aside from what I read here) if the more recent betas were still like that. Possibly not.
There's much less activity on the development front the last few months, and the devs that were more prone to doing that (max) have moved on from the project.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby RumbleBBU » 04 Oct 2015, 06:26

Thank you again for the reply, Sol!

Just to clarify, 'turning on' the arrows, can that be done in the precompiled beta release or is source diving required?

In a similar fashion, I've observed that some 'optional' triggers aren't really so in this release. For example, an opponent casts Apathy on one of my creatures - I'm never given the opportunity to not discard at random. Some other spells (e.g. Paralyze) would seem to behave in a similar manner, which is pretty much contrary to the Oracle wording ("may").
Again, is there a way to turn this off behavior without source diving?

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
RumbleBBU

Postby friarsol » 04 Oct 2015, 16:05

If you want to report bugs, please do it in the release threads. I think Agetian said he already fixed your Apathy problem.

The targeting arrow setting lives inside the dock box of the battlefield. It has three settings, On, Off, or "Hover"
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby RumbleBBU » 04 Oct 2015, 18:05

Yeah, I did post in the release thread already. I just wonder if Apathy was the only affected card, it seems that something similar might be going on with other "you may..." cards, which makes me suspect that there might be an underlying issue and Apathy is just one symptom.

But as far as I'm concerned, we can close this thread and take that speculation to the release thread.

Thank you for your help, Sol. It never occurred to me to click on the Dock tab. :D
RumbleBBU

Return to Forge