It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:37

Text Size

IOS app status?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

IOS app status?

Postby 09STIBMEP » 07 Jan 2016, 02:05

Hey guys,

Wanted to create a thread because I'm really keen to spruik some interest. I know there's a thread below on iOS, I've posted in there but it seems to be dead.

What's the latest on an iOS app for this? The talk seems to be dead despite open ended statements about trialling the app way back in January last year! What was the result?

I'm no programmer at all but in a few days I'll be back in front of my MacBook and will give "compiling" the app a go, but I have no idea whatsoever.

Would be beneficial to all of someone could just chime in with the latest.
09STIBMEP

Re: IOS app status?

Postby 09STIBMEP » 07 Jan 2016, 02:08

Edit: and why does my new topic post half way down the topic page list amongst the 2014 posts when mines the red hot smoking latest from 20 16!?

SECOND EDIT: I guess the ones above are a tonne of stickied threads.
09STIBMEP

Postby drdev » 07 Jan 2016, 04:30

Basically, the person who was working on it was running into trouble getting it to compile, and then went MIA. Although I manage the Android app, I don't own a Mac, so I can't compile it even if I wanted to. If somebody is interested in attempting to get a working compile that has access to a Mac, that would be great. I know plenty of people who've been waiting for this, and I'm sure even more will want it once Planar Conquest is released, particularly given it will start out as mobile exclusive.
drdev
Programmer

Postby 09STIBMEP » 07 Jan 2016, 14:53

Thanks for the info.

Well it's a shame we didn't get much more information back then. If I have time I'll try but like I've already said, this will be my first, and by the sounds of it might run into show stopping errors early that I won't have time to try and sort unfortunately.
09STIBMEP

Postby 09STIBMEP » 10 Jan 2016, 11:33

Well I gave compiling this a go for a few hours and had no luck. Tried to follow all the instructions for setting up eclipse etc in a stickied guide but some of the points along the way either didn't have those install options presented to me during the process or I just couldn't get by an error. In the end couldn't get connected to the SVN to get the latest source. So instead I tried getting the snapshot files from Cardforge.com, but again basically didn't really have a great idea of what to do with it. With that download there was a .jar file. Tried to open this in eclipse but even that isn't a straight forward procedure! It required more googling on my behalf. Anyway, eclipse didnt recognise the jar file, so that all went down the toilet, and I'm done for a while.
09STIBMEP

Postby 5enza » 11 Jan 2016, 13:42

I'm not a developer but I did do some testing for elcnesh when he was attempting the original build (unfortunately all of the .ipa files he sent me never ran - just a black screen then back to home screen)

From what I understood of the project, this was a port of the Android version of Forge to iOS using RoboVM. All of the .ipa files he complied worked in the iOS simulator on his Mac and also on his iOS devices. My device was jailbroken but I could never get the application to execute. I always suspected that there was a provisioning issue due to the application working for him. His devices were probably registered to run the unsigned code.

I hope this information helps in at least guiding you in the right direction.
5enza

Postby 09STIBMEP » 12 Jan 2016, 19:46

Thanks for the info.
Would you per chance still have that ipa file? And could post a link to it? All other links a busted now. That would be much appreciated
Do wonder whatever happened to our friend.
09STIBMEP

Postby 5enza » 14 Jan 2016, 12:33

Unfortunately, I didn't keep any of the .ipa files :(
5enza

Postby kudit » 14 Jan 2016, 15:39

So I'm an iOS developer but I don't have the time or interest to develop using robovm. I would also like to get an iOS port working. Is it possible to get the project moved to GITHUB for easier pull requests? I'm thinking ideally there would be a bunch of shared code for the game engine and simply different implementations of the UI. If someone just needs a provisioning profile to run on a device, I can help there, but you'd have to get it working in the simulator first and I haven't seen it work even that far.
Please give feedback on our card database at http://www.deckmaster.info
Send comments via PM here or info@deckmaster.info
kudit

Postby drdev » 14 Jan 2016, 16:41

kudit wrote:So I'm an iOS developer but I don't have the time or interest to develop using robovm. I would also like to get an iOS port working. Is it possible to get the project moved to GITHUB for easier pull requests? I'm thinking ideally there would be a bunch of shared code for the game engine and simply different implementations of the UI. If someone just needs a provisioning profile to run on a device, I can help there, but you'd have to get it working in the simulator first and I haven't seen it work even that far.
The Android app is already written using libgdx, which is designed in such a way that all the UI code for the mobile app should be reusable. You really should only need to write a file or two for IOS to get it working in theory. There's already a forge-gui-ios project fleshed out in the source that should serve as the starting point. There should be no reason to have to recreate the UI.
drdev
Programmer

Postby kudit » 15 Jan 2016, 04:24

Is there a github project? I only found this which is over a year old: https://github.com/svn2github/forge
kudit

Postby friarsol » 15 Jan 2016, 04:51

kudit wrote:Is there a github project? I only found this which is over a year old: https://github.com/svn2github/forge
The official repo is hosted on slightlymagic. You seem to be focused more on the git aspect of things. Forge tried moving to git several years back and it failed miserably, for that and other reasons, it's probably best that we don't try again until everyone is fully on board (and not just because one person wants it). I don't see how creating a patch for a part of a project that noone is touching should be any "harder" than creating a pull request would be...
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby kudit » 16 Jan 2016, 16:26

Ahh. I see.
kudit

Postby 09STIBMEP » 17 Jan 2016, 02:02

So what's the way forward here? While there's interest, especially from kudit being a developer (much, much more than I can say for myself), it would be great to get some motion and who knows, maybe at least end up with a decent ipa.

Kudit; when you have time, do you think you have enough information and the right source to put something together?
09STIBMEP

Return to Forge