It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:55

Text Size

[bug report] Forge sluggish after multiple commander games

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

[bug report] Forge sluggish after multiple commander games

Postby wallacethehero » 24 Apr 2016, 16:36

Description of bug: Forge program slows down significantly after multiple games of commander. It can occur after round 1 of 3, or it can occur later or after a new game has been initiated. It is uncommon to fail to observe this if playing 3 games in a row.

forge version: 1.5.50

I have observed this bug in every game I have played that has lasted 2 or more games. It is fairly common to see the slow down in gameplay often after the first or even second round of the first game. I have also
observed it in every earlier version of forge I have played (1.5.47, 1.5.48, 1.5.49). It does not matter the deck I play, however it should be known that I play my own constructed commander decks on not generated ones from the program.

I am running windows 8, x64. If providing a complete direct x diagnostics will help, I can provide that as well.
wallacethehero

Re: [bug report] Forge sluggish after multiple commander gam

Postby VileTouch » 25 Apr 2016, 22:11

so far i have had much better performance, specially in long, consecutive sessions (gauntlet) with these JVM arguments
Code: Select all
 -Xms1024m -Xmx2048m -XX:+UseG1GC
it's not perfect, though. i still get some pauses when the GC kicks in, but so far i haven't had the game slowly choke itself to death.
"He traded sand for skins, skins for gold, gold for life. In the end, he traded life for sand." - Afari, Tales
VileTouch

Postby wallacethehero » 25 Apr 2016, 23:21

Im not a programmer, not do I understand code language to any degree. Are the JVM arguments somethibg I would need to inplement into a file somewhere? I am also not sure what gauntlets are, are these related to commaned games? Sorry I'm noob :(
wallacethehero

Postby VileTouch » 26 Apr 2016, 02:42

wallacethehero wrote:Im not a programmer, not do I understand code language to any degree. Are the JVM arguments somethibg I would need to inplement into a file somewhere? I am also not sure what gauntlets are, are these related to commaned games? Sorry I'm noob :(
it really depends on what OS are you using. for linux/mac there's forge.sh and forge.command where you can add replace the arguments.

for windows... there's forge.exe that doesn't seem to take any arguments, but you can always make a shortcut to:
javaw.exe [arguments here] -jar "[forge's jar here]".
"He traded sand for skins, skins for gold, gold for life. In the end, he traded life for sand." - Afari, Tales
VileTouch

Postby wallacethehero » 26 Apr 2016, 03:13

VileTouch wrote:
wallacethehero wrote:Im not a programmer, not do I understand code language to any degree. Are the JVM arguments somethibg I would need to inplement into a file somewhere? I am also not sure what gauntlets are, are these related to commaned games? Sorry I'm noob :(
it really depends on what OS are you using. for linux/mac there's forge.sh and forge.command where you can add replace the arguments.

for windows... there's forge.exe that doesn't seem to take any arguments, but you can always make a shortcut to:
javaw.exe [arguments here] -jar "[forge's jar here]".
I am still confused. Where would that line of code go? I am interpreting this as: create shortcut -> right click to properties -> in target field, implement lines of code provided above for said arguments -> close properties -> done.

I am sure this is wrong but I really am not sure exactly where to put the arguments, or how to include multiple arguments in one line. Also, I'm on Windows 8 x64.
wallacethehero

Postby VileTouch » 26 Apr 2016, 04:33

wallacethehero wrote:
VileTouch wrote:
wallacethehero wrote:I am interpreting this as: create shortcut -> right click to properties -> in target field, implement lines of code provided above for said arguments -> close properties -> done.
that's correct
.also copy/paste the name of the forge jar
VileTouch

Postby wallacethehero » 28 Apr 2016, 00:19

wallacethehero wrote:
VileTouch wrote:
wallacethehero wrote:I am interpreting this as: create shortcut -> right click to properties -> in target field, implement lines of code provided above for said arguments -> close properties -> done.
that's correct
.also copy/paste the name of the forge jar
Where do I find the name of the forge jar? ... and also my attempt failed to produce a working .exe file
wallacethehero

Postby timmermac » 28 Apr 2016, 02:09

If you are on the desktop version, I believe it's in the res folder. Also, the .jar file can be run by double-clicking on the file.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby VileTouch » 28 Apr 2016, 19:41

timmermac wrote:the .jar file can be run by double-clicking on the file.
of course, but then it would just use the global settings for JVM which are usually really bad. you can see what values it uses by doing a simple:
java -XX:+PrintCommandLineFlags -version
VileTouch

Postby timmermac » 28 Apr 2016, 22:05

I believe that you can change the parameters that an individual .jar file runs under by going into the file's properties and entering the requested parameters.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby VileTouch » 29 Apr 2016, 00:11

timmermac wrote:I believe that you can change the parameters that an individual .jar file runs under by going into the file's properties and entering the requested parameters.
not sure about other platforms, but in windows that's not the case.

edit: it's possible if you make a shortcut, though
VileTouch

Postby timmermac » 29 Apr 2016, 00:17

And I think that's how I did it when I had a functional PC.
timmermac
Tester

Return to Forge