It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:43

Text Size

Meld cards

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Meld cards

Postby Shadowzeny » 10 Jul 2016, 04:05

Out of curiosity, can I ask how you guys are going to implement meld cards such as the Eldrazi Angel and so on? would it be just a flip by sacrificing both angels to make a 'token'?
Shadowzeny

Re: Meld cards

Postby friarsol » 10 Jul 2016, 15:14

They haven't been implemented yet, so who knows how they'll end up being. It shouldn't be a token, it should be the back half of at least the primary meld card. I've played around with implementing it some, and still the trickiest part is tracking them in a flicker scenario. I might have some more time to play around with it this afternoon, hopefully we'll get it functional before the release.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Hanmac » 10 Jul 2016, 19:34

many thanks for trying to implement Meld. I think i would fail if i would try that.

i was beginning to make my own thoughts about it:
  • my first one was that it does need to use a new AlternateMode like "MeldFaces"? because Ruling says that they are not DoubleFaces and can't Transform.
  • then the back face should be on the one that does share its collector Number. (thats the one with the "melds with X" one)
  • the other one should have the code like "exile This+CardNamedX" + "Meld Action", or have a option for ChangeZone like "Meld$ True". The ChangeZone should check if both cards are the real one and not token and you own them.
  • the MeldCard should have the Cards as Attributes from where it was melded. (for reason see below)
  • for Commander, the "isCommander" should be overwritten, that its also true if Card is a Melded one, and one of the Meld components is the Commander
  • GameAction, and some of the Effects does need to be changed, because moving a card can split them into two(or more) thats why the functions in GameAction like "exile" can't remove one card, but need to return a CardCollection. then the Effects need to be changed, because the Remember options does need the return value of that.
Hanmac

Postby friarsol » 10 Jul 2016, 20:20

Hanmac wrote:many thanks for trying to implement Meld. I think i would fail if i would try that.

i was beginning to make my own thoughts about it:
  • my first one was that it does need to use a new AlternateMode like "MeldFaces"? because Ruling says that they are not DoubleFaces and can't Transform.
  • then the back face should be on the one that does share its collector Number. (thats the one with the "melds with X" one)
  • the other one should have the code like "exile This+CardNamedX" + "Meld Action", or have a option for ChangeZone like "Meld$ True". The ChangeZone should check if both cards are the real one and not token and you own them.
  • the MeldCard should have the Cards as Attributes from where it was melded. (for reason see below)
  • for Commander, the "isCommander" should be overwritten, that its also true if Card is a Melded one, and one of the Meld components is the Commander
  • GameAction, and some of the Effects does need to be changed, because moving a card can split them into two(or more) thats why the functions in GameAction like "exile" can't remove one card, but need to return a CardCollection. then the Effects need to be changed, because the Remember options does need the return value of that.
- Right. new AlternateMode "Meld"
- I'd say it's more consistent to have the back face on the one with the Meld ability. But it probably doesn't matter either way.
- Yes, I have a new effect for Melding. It's fairly light, probably most similar to the Manifest effect.
- It doesn't need both cards, just the "other" card. Since the first card is on the "front" side.
- Commander and CMC scenario is simple.
- This is the issue I mentioned already. It might be doable without rewriting a ton of functions.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Shadowzeny » 11 Jul 2016, 09:13

Awesome, interesting way to implement it kind of like manifest then, though I am curious, if it does get flickered it would just be exiled for good yeah? since its two melded parts are already in the graveyard?
Shadowzeny

Postby friarsol » 11 Jul 2016, 11:43

Shadowzeny wrote:Awesome, interesting way to implement it kind of like manifest then, though I am curious, if it does get flickered it would just be exiled for good yeah? since its two melded parts are already in the graveyard?
That's not how it will work. If you activate a Meld ability, the primary card will come back melded, with the other card "melded into" the primary card. If it gets flickered, we need to monitor when the remembered card spawns back into more than one card. Then return all of those cards to the battlefield.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Sarinisded » 21 Jul 2016, 13:00

Can we do a super specific Champion effect style thing ? i know it will be bizarre but it may work as a combo champion/ transform mechanic ? if i find a way to make it work could we involve it? just curious
Sarinisded

Return to Forge