It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:22

Text Size

Pretty Major Bug with these 2 cards...

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Pretty Major Bug with these 2 cards...

Postby BloodReyvyn » 15 Nov 2016, 07:51

After equipping my Ghostblade Eidolon with Angelic Destiny, I had noticed that the Eidolon was still 1/1, but shrugged it off and attacked figuring it was probably a visual glitch.

After the creature tapped, it said it was a 5/5 (as it should have been), but the Opponent blocked it with a 3/3, non-flying creature.

My Eidolon did 1 damage to the creature as First Strike damage, and that was it... No regular damage.

Weirder still, when the AI's creature did its regular damage, it didn't kill my creature, but the Angelic Destiny went back to my hand... ???

I've been playing around it, trying to see if I can get this to work with any of the other enchantment creatures, but so far they seem fine, but I have deliberately reproduced this bug 3 times to make sure it wasn't just a fluke.
"There's an experience worse than blindness - it's the certainty that your vision is perfect and the horror that there's no world around you to see."
BloodReyvyn

Re: Pretty Major Bug with these 2 cards...

Postby RumbleBBU » 16 Nov 2016, 07:11

Confirmed for 1.5.56 and 1.5.57.
The bug does not occur in the old 1.5.17, however. The two cards work together as intended in that release.
Since the card scripts haven't changed since 1.5.17, it is the underlying game engine that is causing the issue.

However, I wouldn't necessarily call this a 'major' bug. It affects just two individual cards and not even either of them alone, just in that specific combination. To me, 'major' bugs would be something along the lines of not being able to start a draft game, the game crashing when you play for an ante, quest challenges crashing when you start them, not being able to edit decks...all of which have occurred, in one form or another, in the past. I.e., stuff that renders whole parts of the game unusable.
RumbleBBU

Postby Hanmac » 16 Nov 2016, 10:08

this bug was introduced when another bug with flickering was tried to fix.

@Agetian should look over that.
Hanmac

Postby Agetian » 16 Nov 2016, 10:45

I tried looking into this and it doesn't look like it's necessarily my fault. At least reverting Sol's recommended removal of checkStaticAbilities in GameAction did nothing to resolve the issue, and the only two other changes were calls to updateStateForView, which are supposed to only affect the visual side of things, and restoring them apparently does nothing to fix the issue as well.

I can reproduce the issue but I'm not sure I understand what exactly is causing it.
It does, however, seem to be closely tied to the entire "flickering" thing (which was there before I started fixing it, and even at a larger scale), except it also seems to affect the functioning of cards in this particular instance and not just what they look like.

In particular, Ghostblade Eidolon enchanted with Angelic Destiny "flickers" heavily between 5/5 (flying, etc., e.g. fully enchanted), 1/1 (not enchanted) and also an unknown "empty" state where P/T is visually not even specified on Ghostblade Eidolon. It also changes its position in the card rows (visually). This happens on phase change and functionally the card seems to be treated as if it were not enchanted at all (at least most of the time), which is a first (in the series of flickering-related bugs).

I would love to hear any input on what might be causing all this. I've been tracking the whole "flickering" thing for a very long time but couldn't get to the bottom of it. Also, it's the first time I see a case where it seems to break the usual "visual only" pattern and also affect the function of the cards in question.
Thanks a lot in advance for advice and/or helping solve this long-standing issue (and its newest functional incarnation).

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby BloodReyvyn » 16 Nov 2016, 14:20

I get what you mean Rumble, I guess it's not that major. lol

The only recurring glitch that crashes the game is when I have more than like 20 tokens on the board and I swing with everything. After the game, it just hangs forever, I can't click anything, and I have to use the Task Manager to close it.

I'm also using really high-res images for the cards and added more music and replaced the sound fx for my own amusement/sanity, so that could totally be a factor. I have a fairly good PC, but it's not what I would call a "powerhouse gaming computer."
"There's an experience worse than blindness - it's the certainty that your vision is perfect and the horror that there's no world around you to see."
BloodReyvyn

Postby Hanmac » 19 Nov 2016, 17:56

per pure accident i found the problem with that.

Spell does check for Bestow creatures if the Bestow Version can be cast with Flash. for that, the card does need to be animated and unanimated again.

But that doesn't make any sense when the Creature is already on the Battlefield.

Now it doesn't flicker anymore. (okay i did see a flick, but the creature works correctly)
Hanmac

Postby Agetian » 19 Nov 2016, 18:50

Ah, this is really nice, Hanmac! Thanks for figuring it out! I tried debugging this a couple times but couldn't trace it to its source :/

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Return to Forge