It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:07

Text Size

AI attacking and blocking Observations

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: AI attacking and blocking Observations

Postby Zirbert » 10 Jul 2013, 16:23

The AI tends not to realize that I can "gang-block" an attacker and kill it. For an example, if I have two copies of Tradewind Rider out (1/4 flying), the AI will attack with a 2/2 flyer. I block with both Riders, the attacker dies, and I don't have to trade anything. I've noticed similar situations pretty much anytime I have multiple blockers with higher toughness than power. As long as the attacker can survive any one of them alone, the AI doesn't appear to consider that they can just gang up.
Zirbert

Postby RedRob » 23 Jul 2013, 22:17

I noticed that with Koth of the Hammer the AI will use his ability to untap a land and make it a 4/4 and then won't attack with it even if I only have 1/1 defenders. It then doesn't use the land after combat.

I know this is probably a much bigger issue but the AI also doesn't seem to have the ability to realise when attacking this turn will allow it to win next turn by attacking again. Several times I've had 2 or 3 defenders and the AI has had 6 or 7 creatures out, but it won't attack until it has lethal on the board, which gives me time to build up a defense and win.
RedRob

Postby RedRob » 04 Aug 2013, 14:39

The AI doesn't recognise creatures with abilities that will trigger on dealing damage to the player as needing blocking. It will regularly let through creatures with such abilities (either natively or from something like a Sword) rather than block the creature as long as it won't die from the creature's damage.
RedRob

Postby Bundy » 13 Aug 2013, 11:32

I have Worship and Stuffy Doll in play and only have 1 life left. Computer probably recognizes that as long as the indestructible Stuffy Doll is in play, there is no point in attacking me because of Worship. But it also stops attacking my two planeswalkers in play, while it has 2 flying creatures i cannot block. This gives me all the time i need to build up the planeswalkers.

Computer also does not recognize the danger from Pariah or Pariah's Shield in combination with certain creatures. For example enchant Swans of Bryn Argoll with Pariah, and the computer keeps on attacking, milling his own library.
Bundy

Postby friarsol » 15 Aug 2013, 00:17

AI attacks me with a Sublime Archangel with Finest Hour and another Exalted creature in play. I activate my Kor Haven on the Angel, so it deals no damage for the rest of the turn. Now the AI gets another combat and attacks with the Angel again, even though it can't deal any damage.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Xitax » 19 Aug 2013, 03:22

AI has Merfolk of the Pearl Trident on turn 2. I have Goblin Lackey and attack. AI should consider trading, especially because the Lackey has that special ability.
Xitax

Postby Bundy » 21 Aug 2013, 12:43

Whenever the computer has a regenerating creature in play it attacks with it. No matter if i can block it or not, just because if it gets destroyed it can be regenerated anyway.
In most cases it would be wiser to keep these regenerators from attacking and use them to block something big that comes your way.
Many times the computer attacked me with a 1/1 regenerator, while i had a 5/5 creature in play. This results in an easy block, waste of mana to regenerate and next turn i attack with the 5/5 and the computer does not block because it is to scared it might loose a creature. And it would not loose a creature if only the regenerator was not tapped from a useless attack :roll:
Bundy

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 24 Aug 2013, 01:50

Playing Quest against Mister Fantastic...

AI has Llanowar Elves , Intruder Alarm and Imperious Perfect
Middle of combat, it decides to tap Imperious to make an elf, pay with Llanowar. Elf comes into play, untaps both Imperious and Llanowar, to which, AI decides to tap Imperious again, pay with Llanowar................................................
InfinitePerfect.jpg
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby SecretCaveman » 27 Sep 2013, 12:49

My opponent has a 2/5 creature, I have a 2/2, a 1/1 and a Kithkin Shielddare.
AI attacks, I block with the 2/2 and the 1/1 and use the Kithkin to give my 2/2 +2/+2.
The AI assigns 2 damage to my 2/2, so he doesn't even get to kill a single creature.
SecretCaveman

Postby friarsol » 27 Sep 2013, 12:53

SecretCaveman wrote:My opponent has a 2/5 creature, I have a 2/2, a 1/1 and a Kithkin Shielddare.
AI attacks, I block with the 2/2 and the 1/1 and use the Kithkin to give my 2/2 +2/+2.
The AI assigns 2 damage to my 2/2, so he doesn't even get to kill a single creature.
This is actually forced by the rules. When you declare multiple blockers, the attacking player has to say what order he's going to assign damage. In this case, he declared he was going to assign damage to the 2/2 first, and then if there's any damage left, he'll assign it to the 1/1. Then your 2/2 became boosted up to a 4/4, but the AI doesn't get to change the order, so he's forced to deal 2 damage to your first blocker, which of course doesn't kill anything.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby lazylockie » 27 Sep 2013, 13:49

Xitax wrote:AI has Merfolk of the Pearl Trident on turn 2. I have Goblin Lackey and attack. AI should consider trading, especially because the Lackey has that special ability.
maybe they could add some sort of tag "trade or block me at all costs" to certain cards. Goblin Lackey comes to mind, but also Geist of Saint Traft
lazylockie

Postby yagi » 01 Oct 2013, 18:29

AI does not take Jace, Architect of Thought +1 effect on consideration. AI keeps attacking me with 2/2 even though I have a 2/2 on board also, and due to Jace, Architect of Thought +1 the combat is very devastating for the AI.
yagi

Postby SecretCaveman » 02 Oct 2013, 12:00

I attack with Glistener Elf and Ichorclaw Myr. AI has a Molten Ravager, and no Mana open. The AI blocks the Ichorclaw Myr and gets 3 -1/-1 counters instead of one.
SecretCaveman

Postby timmermac » 02 Oct 2013, 12:49

SecretCaveman wrote:I attack with Glistener Elf and Ichorclaw Myr. AI has a Molten Ravager, and no Mana open. The AI blocks the Ichorclaw Myr and gets 3 -1/-1 counters instead of one.
This is correct. Read the text for Ichorclaw Myr.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby Mitlan » 02 Oct 2013, 19:03

timmermac wrote:
SecretCaveman wrote:I attack with Glistener Elf and Ichorclaw Myr. AI has a Molten Ravager, and no Mana open. The AI blocks the Ichorclaw Myr and gets 3 -1/-1 counters instead of one.
This is correct. Read the text for Ichorclaw Myr.
I think what he meant by saying this, is that the cmputer should had to look for the less -1/-1 counters to be placed in his creatures, due the fact that if he blocked the Glistener Elf instead the Ichorclaw Mtyr it would recieved just 1 counter instead of the 3, and not pumped the Myr so it would recieved 1 pioson anyway.
Mitlan

PreviousNext

Return to Forge