Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Sound files for forge

Postby PsiOptics » 20 Jan 2013, 06:13

I am a newbie tell me a good way to upload sounds
PsiOptics

Postby friarsol » 20 Jan 2013, 13:50

PsiOptics wrote:I am a newbie tell me a good way to upload sounds
Upload the links somewhere (like Dropbox or whatever) and post the link.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby moomarc » 20 Jan 2013, 19:52

PsiOptics wrote:I am a newbie tell me a good way to upload sounds
Another option seeing as the individual sound files are small is, you can either add them to a zip archive or change the file extension to txt or something else that the forum allows. Then just upload to this topic. :D
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby Foreroes » 14 Feb 2013, 11:35

Hi, after being bussy for a while I'm back. Well I have some sounds from freesounds that could fit into Forge.
Wav files can't be attached so I am sending them compressed using winrar.
The names are quite self explanatory:
-zombies for summoning zombies creatures and similar.
-spell could fit into an instant, sorcery or similar.
-before playing: a short composition (perhaps too long, but could be edited) that could be played before playing.

Since I have free time again to spend, I'll keep suggesting sounds.
P.S: has somebody make a decision about the music I proposed?
Attachments
sounds.rar
(3.56 MiB) Downloaded 304 times
Foreroes

Postby myk » 14 Feb 2013, 16:02

I've noticed that there are a few sounds that don't play on my system: draw.wav and untap.wav. They seem to have a different file format from the rest of the wav files that do work. Would it be possible to convert them from "Microsoft ADPCM" format to "PCM" format like the others are?
myk

Postby Chris H. » 15 Feb 2013, 03:25

myk wrote:I've noticed that there are a few sounds that don't play on my system: draw.wav and untap.wav. They seem to have a different file format from the rest of the wav files that do work. Would it be possible to convert them from "Microsoft ADPCM" format to "PCM" format like the others are?

I noticed the same thing on my iMac.

I ran the two sounds through Audacity, do they now work for you?

Attachments
Sounds in PCM.zip
(45.28 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby myk » 15 Feb 2013, 07:36

That gets things working for me -- thanks! I checked them in (although I find the 'draw' sound a little sharp : ). Should I integrate the sounds submitted by Foreroes as well? Perhaps we should cook up a configuration dialog that allows users to turn on/off individual sounds and control the sound effect volume?
myk

Postby moomarc » 15 Feb 2013, 08:43

myk wrote:That gets things working for me -- thanks! I checked them in (although I find the 'draw' sound a little sharp : ). Should I integrate the sounds submitted by Foreroes as well? Perhaps we should cook up a configuration dialog that allows users to turn on/off individual sounds and control the sound effect volume?
That would be the ideal solution, but it may be more effort than it's worth. To disable individual sounds they can just be removed from the sound folder, and the volume of the sounds should ideally be balanced before it's added. That said, it would be easier for casual users to do everything from within Forge.
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby myk » 15 Feb 2013, 09:08

I'll add the dialog to my backburner list. What about the sounds submitted by Foreroes?
myk

Postby friarsol » 15 Feb 2013, 13:48

moomarc wrote:
myk wrote:That gets things working for me -- thanks! I checked them in (although I find the 'draw' sound a little sharp : ). Should I integrate the sounds submitted by Foreroes as well? Perhaps we should cook up a configuration dialog that allows users to turn on/off individual sounds and control the sound effect volume?
That would be the ideal solution, but it may be more effort than it's worth. To disable individual sounds they can just be removed from the sound folder, and the volume of the sounds should ideally be balanced before it's added. That said, it would be easier for casual users to do everything from within Forge.
I feel like sounds should be downloaded from the content downloader, since if they are checked into the SVN developers can't really delete them to remove them.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 16 Feb 2013, 14:32

Thank you for the sounds Foreroes. :)

Agetian has not been around for the last couple of months. I remember that he was in the hospital for awhile, hope that he is OK now and is just busy with his real life.

The sounds that are currently recognized and used by forge is listed in the first message.

I like the "before playing.wav" music but it looks like someone will have to add in some code for that to work the way that you imagine.

The zombie sound is interesting but It looks like we would also need more code for this to work. Or we might be able to use it for a different event.

I think that spell sound would make a good sorcery sound. I edited the file and was able to reduce the size to about one third the original size.

Attachments
sorcery.wav.zip
attribute: www.freesound.org
(83.04 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Foreroes » 16 Feb 2013, 17:03

Chris H. wrote:Thank you for the sounds Foreroes. :)

Agetian has not been around for the last couple of months. I remember that he was in the hospital for awhile, hope that he is OK now and is just busy with his real life.
I'm really sad to hear that Agetian is having some health problems :(, I hope too he is being busy right now.

Chris H. wrote:The sounds that are currently recognized and used by forge is listed in the first message.

I like the "before playing.wav" music but it looks like someone will have to add in some code for that to work the way that you imagine.

The zombie sound is interesting but It looks like we would also need more code for this to work. Or we might be able to use it for a different event.

I think that spell sound would make a good sorcery sound. I edited the file and was able to reduce the size to about one third the original size.
Glad to hear you like those sounds :D . Yes I know that adding them won't be easy because it requires coding stuff.
I'll check the list and will keep looking for sounds that haven't been added yet.
Talking about the sounds already added I think the shuffling sound could be avoided because it can cause some trouble with the sound of any spell that implies looking for anything in your deck. If you still think it's a good idea to keep it I think I've found a smoother one in which card shuffling sounds clearer from my point of view.
Foreroes

Postby Chris H. » 16 Feb 2013, 17:25

Foreroes wrote:I'll check the list and will keep looking for sounds that haven't been added yet.
Talking about the sounds already added I think the shuffling sound could be avoided because it can cause some trouble with the sound of any spell that implies looking for anything in your deck. If you still think it's a good idea to keep it I think I've found a smoother one in which card shuffling sounds clearer from my point of view.

I added the sorcery.wav sound to the SVN.

We may add in a list of checkboxes at some point which would allow you to turn on and off various sounds. A future project. :)

And yes, our current sounds are just potential candidates and we can replace any of them with the contributions that are made at a later time. This portion of the project is an area where non-java coders can participate. And anyone can become inspired and in the process come up with a better sounding wav file. 8)
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 16 Feb 2013, 17:46

myk wrote:although I find the 'draw' sound a little sharp

The draw sound had a fairly noticeable snap type of sound at the very end, this may be what you noticed. Try this version and see if it sounds less sharp at the end.

draw.wav.zip
(16.11 KiB) Downloaded 243 times

Perhaps we should cook up a configuration dialog that allows users to turn on/off individual sounds and control the sound effect volume?

Sounds good but we may not have enough sounds at this time for you to spend too much time on it at this point.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 16 Feb 2013, 22:26

moomarc wrote:Plains could possibly be the quiet rustle of long bush grasses with the slight chirrup of crickets and other beetles. Could also use horse noises with some other ambient sounds which would create that brief feel of open expanses.

Here is a sound of a horse galloping but it was far too large at several megs. After some serious editing I got it down to 168 KB.

Attachments
white_land.wav.zip
(112.66 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Forge