It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:34

Text Size

Sound files for forge

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Sound files for forge

Postby Agetian » 07 Dec 2012, 03:37

The current sounds are only 300kb, that's not much at all, I'm all for adding them to the SVN trunk and turning them on by default, maybe that'll spark additional interest in the feature! I'll prepare a commit.

P.S. Looking for additional sounds is also still in my plans, just need to finish this crazy Uni week... :\

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby PsiOptics » 09 Dec 2012, 06:40

Will there eventually be a way to get individual sounds for cards? I know for some games it is a simple matter of typing it in text to link the file.

It would be nice to have a card like Wrath of God make a much different sound than Stream of Life.
PsiOptics

Postby Agetian » 09 Dec 2012, 06:58

Yes, there is some code in place that allows processing of individual card sounds, but it's currently not linked to anything. I might eventually hook it up to card scripts via a variable of some sort. Thanks for the suggestion and for your interest!

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 09 Dec 2012, 13:50

PsiOptics wrote:Will there eventually be a way to get individual sounds for cards? I know for some games it is a simple matter of typing it in text to link the file.

It would be nice to have a card like Wrath of God make a much different sound than Stream of Life.
I think it would make more sense to have the Sound be based on what the card does than specifically individual cards. Cards that destroy all things (Wrath of God, Armageddon) have one sound. Cards that gain life (Stream of Life) have a different sound.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Agetian » 10 Dec 2012, 05:46

I'm working on a simple link between sound events and individual cards - one will be able to specify a SVar in a card script, called SoundEffect, which will define the sound effect to be played when the card is played. That'll add a possibility to both script individual sound effects and link the same effect to different cards depending on their type.

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 10 Dec 2012, 13:08

Agetian wrote: That'll add a possibility to both script individual sound effects and link the same effect to different cards depending on their type.
But instead of adding potentially thousands of card scripts, why doesn't the SA take care of that?
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Agetian » 10 Dec 2012, 15:23

It's definitely possible to implement that already, I mean, it's just a matter of adding a new event post method call to the SpellAbility resolve and adding the appropriate sound effect to the SoundEffectType that would correspond to that effect - that way we can add sounds that would be dependent on the type of SpellAbility. However, I think that it's also good to have an individual card-based sound effect definition where necessary so that certain unique or more-or-less unique cards that may not necessarily be grouped by the SA as a whole (e.g. lands that add one mana of any color to mana pool, for instance) can be scripted on a per-card basis when necessary.

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 10 Dec 2012, 16:01

Agetian wrote:However, I think that it's also good to have an individual card-based sound effect definition where necessary so that certain unique or more-or-less unique cards that may not necessarily be grouped by the SA as a whole
Just curious, do you have any examples? We have about 11.5k cards, and I believe less than 100 of these are hardcoded, with probably at least half of these being some type of cycle. The rest are scripted in some sort of fashion, or are [French] Vanilla Permanents.

I mean clearly Timetwister is a different effect than Feldon's Cane, even though their scripts start similarly. But I think the more burden we shift to the AF side, the less monotonous work we'll need to deal with (which is a good thing).
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Agetian » 10 Dec 2012, 16:23

Yeah, you're right. I don't have particular examples at the moment, except, like I said, perhaps lands which have mana abilities but the mana abilities of which differ (e.g. "tap to add 1 mana of any color" is likely to be the same SA as "tap to add 1 black mana" but the effect is distinct enough to maybe warrant its own sound). Once again, like I said, it's just a feature which is now available. It doesn't detract anything from the other aspects of the implementation, it's just there in case we ever need it for something. If we don't, we can just keep adding effects the old-fashioned way, either on a per-ability or per-type basis, by coding new event types. I didn't remove that feature or limit it in any way, it's still there and is still the primary way of sound playback. :)

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Foreroes » 19 Dec 2012, 11:28

Hi, sideboard, all wishes from judment, archenemy... would you ever stop adding features?! :wink:.
Well, now seriously, nowadays Forge it's not just a magic game but The Magic Game, there isn't anything similar either free or commercial. Congratulations and thank you again for your work.
Now, let's talk about the music I proposed, Has anyone made a decision about the music? I'd like to help with that at least, so if you can give me a feedback about it I can look for free loyalties music (or even sounds if you prefer so).
Foreroes

Postby Agetian » 19 Dec 2012, 12:33

Personally I liked the idea and I liked the pieces. I'm not sure what everyone else thinks though. Also, we could definitely use your help in finding the remaining royalty-free sounds, because we're still quite a bit short on those... Thank you very much for your decision to help out!

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Foreroes » 19 Dec 2012, 13:15

Personally I liked the idea and I liked the pieces. I'm not sure what everyone else thinks though.
Um ok. We can choose a couple songs and add them provisionally to the game, so people can hear them and be aware of this new feature. In that way everyone can have their say and vote for the song they like the most.

Also, we could definitely use your help in finding the remaining royalty-free sounds
Ok, which are those remaining sounds?
Foreroes

Postby Chris H. » 19 Dec 2012, 14:34

Foreroes wrote:Ok, which are those remaining sounds?

The first message in this topic contains a listing of all of the current sound events in forge. This listing includes the name of the sound files.

I will continue to update this first message as new sounds come in.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby PsiOptics » 18 Jan 2013, 12:19

I have been customizing my forge sounds any suggestions on what I should make a plains sound like? I already got a rumbling sound for mountain.

So far I have been getting my sounds from all over. Video games and sound effect boards.
PsiOptics

Postby moomarc » 18 Jan 2013, 17:25

PsiOptics wrote:I have been customizing my forge sounds any suggestions on what I should make a plains sound like? I already got a rumbling sound for mountain.

So far I have been getting my sounds from all over. Video games and sound effect boards.
Plains could possibly be the quiet rustle of long bush grasses with the slight chirrup of crickets and other beetles. Could also use horse noises with some other ambient sounds which would create that brief feel of open expanses.

Whatever you end up doing, please would you post any of the additional sounds that you've gathered. Forge needs the mountain sound along with several others. Any sound missing in the releases is because we don't have the relevant sounds. It is the one part of the project that is very much open to the users to contribute. The devs hooked up the system, but gathering the sounds is mostly left to the users to share.
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Forge