It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:11

Text Size

Quest Mode: Guide to Formats, Worlds, and everything

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Quest Mode: Guide to Formats, Worlds, and everything

Postby friarsol » 06 Sep 2014, 20:15

lujo wrote:Where do I post AI drafting tips? It comes up in the quest tourney's now, and there's a few concrete things which could really use improvement.
Well, the AI "drafts" by the rankings that we download from an external site, except for cards it can't play. I'm sure the "improvements" you would suggest are really more like "AI can't play this card so he doesn't draft it"
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby lujo » 07 Sep 2014, 01:35

Hmmm, that's a shame. It kind of really sticks out in a few drafts. And I'm pretty stumped why I'm being passed 1st pick stuff like Sparksmith in Onslaught draft rather late. Does the AI play from the pool it drafts or is it just simulated, and which site are you getting the statistics from?
---

My Shandalar deck pack folder is avaliable here:Dropbox
Leave feedback on particular decks here: Google doc
Ask for instructions, give feedback and complaints here: Thread
lujo

Postby friarsol » 07 Sep 2014, 03:35

lujo wrote:Hmmm, that's a shame. It kind of really sticks out in a few drafts. And I'm pretty stumped why I'm being passed 1st pick stuff like Sparksmith in Onslaught draft rather late. Does the AI play from the pool it drafts or is it just simulated, and which site are you getting the statistics from?
It plays from the pool it drafts. I believe the site we get it from is bestiare. There's a bit more going on, but that's the general idea.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby demeitri1 » 01 Nov 2014, 02:00

i selected vintage format... why am i able to use 2 sol rings in a duel?
demeitri1

Postby friarsol » 01 Nov 2014, 18:27

demeitri1 wrote:i selected vintage format... why am i able to use 2 sol rings in a duel?
What you are selecting is your prize pool/starting cards, not the format to enforce. If you select Standard, that just effects what cards influx into your deck, if you somehow get cards externally from that (through say ante) you are free to add them into your deck.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby demeitri1 » 02 Nov 2014, 00:41

kk thank u very much
demeitri1

Postby serrasmurf » 25 Nov 2014, 20:54

Just posted the Mirrodin World in the world deck development thread (located in the Forge Decks section)
serrasmurf

Postby icecream » 19 Dec 2014, 08:44

lol, now I finally see why some duels are so hard :o . I'm starting to get matches against AI filled with dual lands like Plateau and loads of Moxes. I barely won against one who had a few Stuffy Doll , Swans of Bryn Argoll , and then exploded the combos that dealt huge damage to every creature like Chain Reaction . I barely survived because he milled himself from his own Swans :o

I remember the horsemanship abuse too, or similar unblockable-only decks... uh, maybe I'll try the other worlds now.
Attachments
mtg_opp_milled_himself.png
lucked out, opp milled himself with Chain Reaction onto Swans
icecream

Postby icecream » 25 Dec 2014, 01:01

Hi,

I was looking at section three in the OP:
3) Allow unlock of additional editions
Unless you picked the option "Unrestricted" for your "Prized Cards" choice (or picked "Unrestricted" for your starting card pool, and then picked "Same as starting pool" for prized cards, obviously enough, since that has the same outcome), Forge will enforce a format during the Quest game you are about to start. This format could be called the persisting format. At some stage, you might find that you are bored with your format and want to add new sets to it during your quest. Or maybe that was your intention from the beginning: start with a very limited selection of sets, and gradually enable more sets.
This checkbox will enable you to 'unlock' new sets during your quest. The requirements are:
- You need to win a certain number of duels to be entitled to unlock a new set.
- You also need to pay credits. The different sets are priced differently, according to their real booster prices. This means that most sets will cost a moderate amount of credits to unlock, while Unlimited can cost around 250k credits...and you don't even want to know the price for Alpha or Beta!

When you are eligible to unlock one or more new sets, an "Unlock Sets" button will appear next to the Spell Store button. When you successfully unlock a set, you will receive a free tournament pack (or 3 boosters, if the set does not have tournament packs) to get you started with that set.
Could it be done in reverse with a bit of a different system? I propose this variant:
  • You start in Alpha, and play only Alpha-deck opps
  • After each win, you get your Alpha booster pack, and can go to spell shop as normal (perhaps winnings should be a bit higher just to be able to afford anything)
  • After 100 wins, Beta is unlocked
  • from here on out, you'd play opps with decks from Alpha and Beta and get boosters from both now
Perhaps unlock whole blocks or so. Looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_sets perhaps group a few of the early expansions together.

This way, you can play from the beginning upwards, and while you may acquire a few Power 9 early if lucky, I think this can make chronological sense and be all the more rewarding/awesome as you get closer and closer to current standard block =)

icy`
icecream

Postby concordgrape » 03 Feb 2015, 20:00

How do I accept a challenge? The game is saying that an opponent has challenged me, but when I hit the "Start" button on the Challenges Tab it simply starts a Duel with the selected opponent under the Duels tab. Is this normal?
concordgrape

Postby serrasmurf » 11 Feb 2015, 13:16

concordgrape wrote:How do I accept a challenge? The game is saying that an opponent has challenged me, but when I hit the "Start" button on the Challenges Tab it simply starts a Duel with the selected opponent under the Duels tab. Is this normal?
A challenge is also a magic duel. The difference is that in challenges there are extra things going on:
- often the duel starts with particular cards already in play, your opponents deck is better equipped to deal with these different circumstances (e.g. Infernal Genesis)
- in some duels you are forced to play with another deck (mostly you'll play the official duels from wizard, like Tibalt Versus Sorin)
- challenges yield special rewards
Hope this helps
serrasmurf

Postby zekethebeast32 » 03 Apr 2015, 22:17

Is there a file or directory fro Quest mode to only play decks from the format you choose? I.E. I chose a standard quest, but I am playing against power 9, modern, etc. Any place i can find quests for just standard, just modern, etc?
zekethebeast32

Postby serrasmurf » 06 Apr 2015, 12:44

zekethebeast32 wrote:Is there a file or directory fro Quest mode to only play decks from the format you choose? I.E. I chose a standard quest, but I am playing against power 9, modern, etc. Any place i can find quests for just standard, just modern, etc?
Nope, there isn't.
You could create one. Creating decks for a world is quite some work though. And standard means a lot of maintenance as it changes fast. It is doable though, as you could keep it very straightforward by only using precon/theme decks (for easy/medium oppoents) & tournament decks (for hard opponents). You'd only need to replace the cards the AI can't play properly.
See also the word-deck-development thread in the Forge Decks corner, some guys just grab all the decks they like and create their own quest-main-world.

Finally here some generic tips to postpone the power-9/modern decks or to be able to beat them:
- Play on “Easy” level
- Make sure you have lot’s of creature removal to stop a creature rush (which is basically where most strong decks are about).
- Change your quest preferences settings:
: Forge let’s you progress pretty fast. Change the “Wins for …AI” to : 16-32-48
: Get more credits for a win, so you can save for some shop goodies
: increase the number of “starting rares”to make sure you have some bombs that can take down opponents
- Your sideboard is your best friend
- Start with a 40-card deck, expand to 60 later
- Have an alterntive win-condition as a sub-theme, those yield more credits
- Some opponents might look tough at first encounter, but are much easier to beat if you have the right plan; AI decks are in that sense a puzzle you have to solve.
- For the easy opponents it is hinted what they play so you can anticipate. For the tougher opponents the hints are more subtle: make sure you have all the tools you might need in your sideboard
serrasmurf

Postby Fizanko » 06 Apr 2015, 16:24

I agree, creating your own custom world is currently the best way to play a quest without having opponents using cards that do not fit at all with your sets preferences.

The only problem is that you'll have to transfer your quest custom world folder into each new versions of Forge you may download, but that's just a few seconds of manipulations anyways.

Note that thanks to those decks compilations :
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16820
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16789
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=14492

There are insane amount of AI-compatible decks you can choose to use as quest opponents.
To adapt those constructed decks into AI quest opponents decks, check this link :

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16960#p176095
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby Andy9973 » 29 May 2016, 17:14

Does anybody know who's maintaining the Ravnica world? I just started the Momir Vig challenge in that world. This challenge lets the player start with Thrull Parasite and Vigean Hydropon on his side. The problem is that Vigean Hydropon doesn't have any +1/+1 counters on it at the start of the game and gets put into the graveyard after you decide to keep your hand.
Attachments
vigeanhydropon.png
Andy9973

PreviousNext

Return to Forge