It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 06:22

Text Size

Quest Mode: Guide to Formats, Worlds, and everything

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Quest Mode: Guide to Formats, Worlds, and everything

Postby timmermac » 28 Mar 2014, 15:43

Just as a reference, if Star City Games actually had any in stock, an Alpha starter would be $5999.99
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby Fizanko » 29 Mar 2014, 01:08

It's like that black lotus that was sold at more than 25k $ , those prices can go really as insane as the people willing to pay that much.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby Xyx » 29 Mar 2014, 17:09

I posted a sort of "tournament report" of my latest quest here where I talk about my approach from start to end. It's in the new Zendikar and I went 28-2.
Xyx
Tester

Postby Fizanko » 29 Mar 2014, 17:25

Great, i like reading AAR , probably from my wargaming old days :) , and i appreciated a lot reading your current quest report.

edit : since i restarted a new Quest, trying to benefit from what i learned from it and how to prepare for some of the very strong decks some of the AI are given (helped by some very lucky card rewards that helped me to build a strong deck earlier than i thought) , things have gone very nicely

On my previous quest, i went to 93 wins 75 defeats and my best streak was 8

this time, using a green-only deck as i wanted to focus only on this color this time, i managed to get 68 wins and only 26 defeats .

My most impossible to win situation was when faced with the AI that deck is only indestructible creature artifact and dozen of "destroy all creatures" cards, couldn't play more than a creature at a time then that creature was gone next turn when it could attack, couldn't believe the amount of those destroy all creature cards the AI played, couldn't do a damn thing.

And that quest feature my best streak with 15, though it went down from a challenge that proved simply too hard for my deck.

The biggest difference between my previous deck and this one is that i only focused on 1 deck from the start, in my previous quest i had build 6 or 7 decks and was having fun switching from on to another, and not all of them were good enough to hope beat some of the enemy i battled there.

And with only 1 deck in focus, you can then build them up better, as you don't disperse your attention in multiple decks , oh and of course some great cards that were in reward/spell shop earlier than in my previous run helped to make it more solid from the start

My current green deck that brought me up to that point :
my current quest green deck | Open
1 Briarpack Alpha|M14
1 Chameleon Colossus|MOR
1 Chorus of Might|RTR
1 Crowned Ceratok|GTC
1 Curse of Predation|C13
1 Defend the Hearth|THS
1 Elvish Ranger|POR
1 Essence Warden|PLC
2 Fog|M14
1 Forced Adaptation|GTC
5 Forest|M11|1
4 Forest|M11|2
7 Forest|M11|3
3 Forest|M11|4
1 Garruk Wildspeaker|COM
3 Howl of the Night Pack|M14
1 Into the Wilds|M14
2 Ivy Lane Denizen|GTC
1 Kalonian Tusker|M14
1 Llanowar Elves|9ED
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt|THS
1 Predator's Rapport|GTC
2 Predatory Sliver|M14
1 Raised by Wolves|BNG
5 Snow-Covered Forest|ICE
5 Swordwise Centaur|BNG
1 Thrive|DIS
1 Turntimber Basilisk|ZEN
1 Vinelasher Kudzu|RAV
1 Wasteland Viper|GTC
1 Witchstalker|M14
1 Young Wolf|DKA

The 2 Fog and the Defend the Hearth i have have allowed me to win some really desesperate battle, what's better when your enemy has overwhelming numbers, stronger overall card than yours (so you couldn't attack on your turn without losing most of them) , have many "trample" cards, and decide it's endgame and make a massive all attack that will destroy you.

Well, you play the instant Fog on his turn and tada, defeat avoided, as they attack simply thin air and do no damage to you.
While on your turn, all his card are tapped (due to attacking), and you destroy what was left of the AI lives due to him having no defenders ready :)

And those How of the Night Pack , oh boy when you manage to survive long enough to be able to pay for them.
Wouldn't like to be on the recieving end. The only problem is when you have those AI with "destroy all living" or "destroy all creatures" and with Hard AI it's not rare they have such thing
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby Fizanko » 30 Mar 2014, 01:49

What decided me to go edit the card price to make the P9 realistically affordable instead of the silly prices they have now in the spellshop.

Yeah, if that was rare , no problem but tonight i just got 5 battles in which the AI was able to play 2 P9 cards (often 2 mox ones) in the first 5 turns, taking an overwhelming advantage (considering they all have extremely strong decks when you reach Hard stage)

And in 4 of that 5 battles, the ante decided to take my green planewalker, meaning i had to rebuy it 4 times (that's starting to get expensive to buy 4 times those expansive cards), talk about really bad luck tonight

Good that at least i had previously taken the fantasy baazar item to have the spellshop offering you to rebuy the cards you lost in ante :)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby Fizanko » 02 Apr 2014, 18:23

Similarly to previous post it looks like the AI likes to tell you in early game that you have lost, again a turn 2 double P9

Fortunately bad luck does not always strike, sometime good luck can :

And

Yes !

Too bad i have no white deck.

I'll have to build one now to see if that P9 can play nicely with it, i don't have much experience in that color, but hopefully with the big collection of cards i have by now (played more than a hundred of battles in that current quest) , i should manage to build something decent.

Tough will be hard to get as a nice deck as my current green one with its very good synergies.
Fizanko
Tester

Postby Adam00 » 22 Apr 2014, 12:59

Semms to be harder when you travel in more modern places...
I win easily (with Turbo Stasis or Sliver deck) in Shandalar, even Challenges are most the time playables.
I traveled to Jamura (missing Ice Age/Alliances period...), won some games, but lost 2 challenges, very hard ! Some of these challenges are impossible ??!
Did'nt try to play in normal and Ravnica, love the 96's :)
Adam00

Postby Thunderduds » 03 Jul 2014, 17:25

Is it possible to set up the quest in a way that the rewards only gives you cards that you have 3 copies or less? What I mean is that I want to play with only the card rewards and never use the shop, but I don't want to have any surplus of cards either, so once I have a complete set of 4 that card will never show as a reward...
Thunderduds

Postby Corwin72 » 15 Jul 2014, 20:33

With the exclusion of Relentless Rats and the other card that you can have more than 4 in a deck.
Corwin72

Postby Randomage » 18 Jul 2014, 23:30

Randomage

Postby 1224Deko » 08 Aug 2014, 22:03

Did you planning adding "Deck builders toolkit 2015" etc to quest world shop?? Maybe its possible to creating it now??
I was thinking to create custom quest world and I wish to able to add my own custom fat pack with 1 booster from all(or X of them) sets for a start...

Edid: Below method didn't work. I changed it with some other fatpacks and it was giving only one booster from that set plus basic land pack.
| Open
didn't testet yet, but maybe adding to fatpack.txt(or bosterboxes) something like this will work??
XXX: 1 Boosters NPH, 1 Boosters AVR, 1 Boosters ISD, 80 BasicLands M15
or
XXX: 1 Booster NPH, 1 Booster AVR, 1 Booster ISD, 80 BasicLands THS
1224Deko

Postby dilpil » 11 Aug 2014, 06:46

Quest mode is pretty cool.

Heres a Lorwyn/Shadowmoor world I made.

It could use more easy/medium opponents probably. Its also completely missing portraits for opponents, not sure how to go about making those work.

To play it, extract it to forge/res/quest/world, and then add the following line to your worlds.txt file:
Name:Lorwyn|Dir:lorwyn|Sets:LRW, MOR, SHM, EVE|Banned:Chaos Orb; Falling Star
Attachments
lorwyn.rar
(22.72 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
dilpil

Postby Dahun » 30 Aug 2014, 01:40

dilpil wrote:Quest mode is pretty cool.

It could use more easy/medium opponents probably. Its also completely missing portraits for opponents, not sure how to go about making those work.

To play it, extract it to forge/res/quest/world, and then add the following line to your worlds.txt file:
Name:Lorwyn|Dir:lorwyn|Sets:LRW, MOR, SHM, EVE|Banned:Chaos Orb; Falling Star
I added icons for all the duels and a for a few of the challenges. I fixed a few of the decks that had the wrong title too.

Extract the lorwyn folder (duel/challenge decks) to forge/res/quest/world and the icons folder to AppData\Local\Forge\Cache\pics .

Thank you for putting together the world too btw. It might not be a bad idea to backup your worlds text file too, as I think it gets overwritten when you update forge. If I can I will upload my worlds file, as I've added a bunch of worlds for shopping :) Haven't made any duels for them though as of yet.

If you make any more worlds/duel decks you just make a 100x100 icon pic, name it (I just named it after the set and then the name of the deck title), put it in your AppData\Local\Forge\Cache\pics\icons folder, then open up your deck in your worlds folder (with a text editor) and make sure the image has the same name as what's listed in the duel deck info. Cheers :)
Attachments
worlds.txt
Combined Shandalar and a few of the other older sets, made a world for m10-m15, MIR-NPH, Planechase/ALA, Innistrad block, Journey-Theros block, and a world for the conspiracy cards.
(913 Bytes) Downloaded 316 times
icons.rar
Icons for LRW duel decks
(334.43 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
Dahun

Postby Dahun » 30 Aug 2014, 01:48

dilpil wrote:Quest mode is pretty cool.

It also might be a good idea to post your world on the world development thread:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9457&start=120

Edit:
There was a forge crash when I tried the 'Chandra Naalar' challenge. Couldn't do anything but quit forge and forfeit the challenge. The normal duels seem to be working just fine though.
Dahun

Postby lujo » 06 Sep 2014, 19:55

Where do I post AI drafting tips? It comes up in the quest tourney's now, and there's a few concrete things which could really use improvement.
---

My Shandalar deck pack folder is avaliable here:Dropbox
Leave feedback on particular decks here: Google doc
Ask for instructions, give feedback and complaints here: Thread
lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Forge