It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:07

Text Size

Name (Oracle), Name Columns - Different Language

Moderators: charmer, CCGHQ Admins

Name (Oracle), Name Columns - Different Language

Postby Noodlez » 24 Jun 2013, 21:01

Hello,

Is it possible to show the German card-name in the column "Name" and the original English card-name in the column "Name (Oracle)" when the card-language is English?

I hope you know what i mean.
Noodlez

Re: Name (Oracle), Name Columns - Different Language

Postby Goblin Hero » 25 Jun 2013, 05:48

No, it's not possible.
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Noodlez » 25 Jun 2013, 07:22

The Problem is that I have a lot of English and a lot of German Cards. But there is no complete DB out there for German Cards.
When I type the German names into the comment column would it be possible to search for it? (Just within my inventory)
If not, would that feature be hard to build in?
Noodlez

Postby LordHelmchen » 25 Jun 2013, 13:00

My own collection is mixed language as well. I'd advise you to get used to the English (Oracle) names as primary identifier. That one will be the same for English and German cards. I'm not sure why you consider MA to be "no complete DB out there for German Cards."
Try setting your collection so be sorted by Oracle name. Then filter the Database to only show German cards of the sets you currently care about. Sort the database by German name and switch off the display of any unneeded columns. This way you have a quick German to English reference and a searchable inventory of you cards. There's a lot of moving and resizing of UI components possible to adjust MA for different jobs, and each layout can be saved for later use.
LordHelmchen

Postby Carnubak » 25 Jun 2013, 14:21

I also have cards in several languages in my personal collection (mainly English and Spanish, but I like to collect cards in non-English languages). That's one of the main reasons that turned me to Magic Album at first, and I never looked back.

Personally, what I do is to have the main database panel sorted by Name and the collection panel sorted by Name (Oracle) by default. That way, I can search cards by their printed name when adding them to my collection, but can look up any card in my collection irrespective of language when I want to see if I'm missing cards for a deck, or looking for Commander cards. If I need another sorting, I just change it on the fly as needed, but those are my defaults.
Carnubak

Postby Noodlez » 25 Jun 2013, 20:19

Okay, so I need to add the German cards as German cards not as English cards?
Is there a way to change the card language in my inventory? Or do I have to add all cards again? (~2000 and not finished yet #-o )

And does anyone know a good German Picture DB for magic-cards, wich will stay up to date?

Edit: I've found the option to show the English picture when no German is available, wich is awesome, cause I do not need the picture in the right language.

Okay I am happy so far. All I need now is a way to change the card-language for my inventory-cards, so i dont need to add them all again [-o< (Maybe edit the inventory-database-file itself?)
Noodlez

Postby LordHelmchen » 25 Jun 2013, 22:48

I just checked my initial suspicion by creating a new inventory and adding a few Accidic slimes: 1 regular English, 2 foil English, 3 regular German and 4 foil German. opening the resulting .mai in a text editor shows that English and German cards are seperate entities, as far as MA is concerned:
Code: Select all
Magic Album Inventory v4
114187   1   2   0.00   0.00      0   0   0   0
114641   3   4   0.00   0.00      0   0   0   0
So unless there's some neat trick that I'm not aware of, you'll have to rebuild your inventory to get the card's languages right.
EDIT: for what it's worth, I found entering a large number of cards to an existing inventory works quite well and safe in the following way:
  1. switch view to "Collecting" (Ctrl-Shift-F2)
  2. sort database by (non-Oracle) name
  3. sort my physical cards by set and language
  4. create a new empty inventory
  5. apply a filter to the database pane that matches the current stack of paper cards
  6. type the first few letters of the name, as printed on the card
  7. hit enter, then F5 (or F6 if the card is foil)
  8. repeat steps 6 to 7 until stack is done
  9. save intermediate inventory under a meaningfull name
  10. optionally, compare number of cards on your paper stack and in the inventory
  11. repeat steps 4 to 10 until all cards are entered
  12. create a new empty inventory, the use Inventory - Merge function to build the all-encompassing collection.
In case this was self-evident, I apologise for stating the obvious :-)
LordHelmchen

Postby Noodlez » 26 Jun 2013, 07:07

LordHelmchen wrote:I just checked my initial suspicion by creating a new inventory and adding a few Accidic slimes: 1 regular English, 2 foil English, 3 regular German and 4 foil German. opening the resulting .mai in a text editor shows that English and German cards are seperate entities, as far as MA is concerned:
Code: Select all
Magic Album Inventory v4
114187   1   2   0.00   0.00      0   0   0   0
114641   3   4   0.00   0.00      0   0   0   0
So unless there's some neat trick that I'm not aware of, you'll have to rebuild your inventory to get the card's languages right.
I've done the same. Then my hope shattered >:

I already started to redo my inventory. Rar and Uncommon cards are already done. I think that was the nastiest part, cause I needed to peel all out of the folder-sleeves to see how many I've got.
Infact it is a lot faster then the first time, cause the most cards are already sorted and i dont have to translate them :)

So far thanks for help guys.
Noodlez

Return to Magic Album