2x Spire Barrage

22 Land
--------
4x Forest
8x Mountain
4x Stomping Ground
4x Taiga
2x Wooded Foothills

A very versatile burn deck that involves cards Spire Barrage, Eternal Flame, and Lightning Bolt.

Combining your Wooded Foothills, Sakura Tribe Elder, and the burn cards (of all types except tribal) which all go into graveyard essentially gives an easy boost to Tarmagoyf from 0/1 to 3/4 or even 4/5 while dishing out damage fast.

Lastly, Kird Ape is the best first turn drop for an easy 2/3 creature, and later on Scute Mob to obliterate anything.

Not as powerful as the more popular Scapeshift + Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle combo though.
Attachments
GR-Tamargoyf-Burn.deck
(918 Bytes) Downloaded 333 times
"I am a man and real men do not consume pink beverages. Get thee gone woman, and bring me something brown." - Jace Wayland
apthaven
Tester

Re: Tarmogoyf Burn Deck

Postby Mr.Chaos » 23 Jan 2010, 07:05

Interesting deck, although I personally never grew fond of Tarmogoyf. It is not a bad card, I just don't like that it depends on many other cards before it is any good.
But I will try the deck and see how effective he is here. There is plenty of burn damage to go around, so maybe you don't even need any critters. :wink:
I once had a mono red deck (paper, not a forge deck) with nothing but burn spells, it actually managed to win a few games!
](*,) = coder at work, according to a coder.It does explain some of the bugs. :wink:
Mr.Chaos
Tester

Postby mtgrares » 25 Jan 2010, 20:06

I thought Tarmogoyf was a crap rare until it started winning tournaments. Thanks for the deck apthaven.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby psillusionist » 03 Feb 2010, 05:28

I'd add in more fetch lands to ensure there are lands in the graveyard to power up Tarmogoyf. In addition, they help in deck-thinning.

Also, if you're willing to switch out some of the burn spells, you might wanna look at Pyrite Spellbomb or Tarfire since they power up Tarmogoyf too. The only downside though is they both do 2 damage only.
psillusionist

Postby Snacko » 03 Feb 2010, 14:45

This is what I use, pretty much the same idea about cheap creatures that grow fast and are cheap. This deck clocks pretty fast unless you can disrupt it via Stifles vs Fetchlands (no Stifle in Forge yet ;)), Wasteland lock on the duals (again no Wastelands in Forge 8)) or plain discard lock.

60 Total Cards

20 Creatures
-------------
2x Gaddock Teeg
4x Kird Ape
2x Knight of the Reliquary
4x Qasali Pridemage
4x Tarmogoyf
4x Wild Nacatl

19 Spells
----------
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Lightning Helix
2x Pyroclasm
4x Swords to Plowshares
4x Tarfire
1x Umezawa's Jitte

21 Land
--------
1x Arid Mesa
1x Forest
1x Mountain
1x Plains
2x Plateau
4x Savannah
3x Taiga
4x Windswept Heath
4x Wooded Foothills

Those are sideboard, but made it into the deck, as the other useful cards are not yet implemented.
2x Gaddock Teeg
2x Pyroclasm
Tarfire is only in because it pumps Tarmogoyf

You can swap Knight of the Reliquary for Woolly Thoctar as an uncoditional 3cc creature, but I like the growing aspect plus it seems more consisten to get {1} {G} {W} than {R} {G} {W}

This is what I use, some nice cards not yet coded would include Chain Lightning for another 3 dmg for 1 red.
Grim Lavamancer to kill tokens/ small creatures.
Horizon Canopy for draw plus powering up Knight of the Reliquary.
Sylvan Library to manage the next draw or fetch that missing 3 dmg instant to win the game.
Fireblast aka free finisher / sweeper.
Price of Progress to kill all those dual users (pretty much everyone).
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby Mr.Chaos » 04 Feb 2010, 07:41

That is one scary zoo! :shock:
Ok, time to go play with the animals. :lol:
](*,) = coder at work, according to a coder.It does explain some of the bugs. :wink:
Mr.Chaos
Tester

Return to Forge Decks