2 All Is Dust
2 Deceiver of Form
2 Bane of Bala Ged
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
1 Kozilek, the Great Distortion
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

... I wasn't sure, actually. It is between medium and hard, IMO, but still far too weak for hard, while being a tad too strong for medium.

If the ramp lands hit the field, he can get big really fast - but thats about it. Since no creature has any evasion (Menace not counting), they can be blocked (especially with Deathtouch), but if he comes with an Ulamog in turn 6, well, you have a problem x)
Thoughts?

EDIT: The more often I watch that deck, the harder I believe that it could be hard,a actually.
One All is Dust wrecks just about anything, he is consitently ramping at least one additional mana ...
Nordos

Re: New quest decks

Postby Sloth » 01 Feb 2016, 22:25

Should be a hard opponent, because of the unfair interactions when everything comes together.

A few suggestions though:
- The Urzatron rarely comes together without searching for it. Better use some other mana sources like: Cloudpost + Glimmerpost, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Sol Ring, Radiant Fountain,...
- Ugin, the Spirit Dragon doesn't really fit with so many Eldrazi interactions.
- The AI can't use Endbringer and Deceiver of Form so well, you've mentioned All Is Dust being good, Oblivion Sower should also be good enough for 4 copies.
Sloth
Programmer

Postby Nordos » 02 Feb 2016, 08:24

Cloudpost... Interesting. Though we do not have more than 2 locus types, it can still produce up to 8 mana.
Downside: It enters tapped. It won't be as ramping as Urzatron, which I had seen activated once in a while. Still, since Glimmerpost does not come into play tapped, it may be better.
Urborg I did think about, though I rather found too many demerits. It only gives you one additional mana (when having an Eye of Ugin out), but it can help the opponent to fix his mana, enable swampwalk or other white cards. It is, IMO, too dangerous for the little effect it provides.
Sol Ring is a good catch - since I originally intended it to be medium, I refrained from including it.

Regarding Ugin: I thought it fitting, all Eldrazis are colorless, while Ugin exiles only colored permanents. It also is easy to ramp in this kind of deck (or rather, easier), and I had a slight subtheme of Ugin running ( Tomb of the Spirit Dragon, Eye of Ugin :P), though it is not a needed card.

I would still include Endbringer, though. He is a double pinger that helps him overcome stall boards. Even if he never uses him to pacify or draw cards. Deciever of Forms was some kind of Test gimmick (some crazy interactions like making them all to Bane of Bala Ged), but you are correct. It is too uncertain and weak, especially when not having that many low level creatures. If it were to become hard, that card would need to go.
Nordos

Postby Sloth » 02 Feb 2016, 16:43

Nordos wrote:Urborg I did think about, though I rather found too many demerits. It only gives you one additional mana (when having an Eye of Ugin out), but it can help the opponent to fix his mana, enable swampwalk or other white cards. It is, IMO, too dangerous for the little effect it provides.
Sol Ring is a good catch - since I originally intended it to be medium, I refrained from including it.
Sounds reasonable.

Nordos wrote:Regarding Ugin: I thought it fitting, all Eldrazis are colorless, while Ugin exiles only colored permanents. It also is easy to ramp in this kind of deck (or rather, easier), and I had a slight subtheme of Ugin running ( Tomb of the Spirit Dragon, Eye of Ugin :P), though it is not a needed card.
It's a very expensive card and a big portion of the mana ramp doesn't help bringing it out: Eye of Ugin, Eldrazi Temple and Conduit of Ruin. That's really not what the deck needs.

Nordos wrote:I would still include Endbringer, though. He is a double pinger that helps him overcome stall boards. Even if he never uses him to pacify or draw cards.
The AI will not double ping with it and stall boards aren't exactly a problem for this deck anyway.
Sloth
Programmer

Postby Nordos » 02 Feb 2016, 19:40

OK. Another try.

Emrakul 3 | Open
4 All Is Dust
2 Bane of Bala Ged
4 Conduit of Ruin
4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Eldrazi Temple
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Eye of Ugin
2 Kozilek's Channeler
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 Kozilek, the Great Distortion
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Oblivion Sower
2 Reality Smasher
2 Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
4 Thought-Knot Seer
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
4 Cloudpost
4 Glimmerpost
1 Sol Ring
4 Radiant Fountain
2 Mirrorpool

Thoughts about Mirrorpool? It can add a rather high creature if he already ramped enough (Oblivion Sower, even though it won't trigger, Reality Smasher, Bane, Conduit).
If he gets 6 normal mana, he has surely enough access to cast 10 mana Eldrazis.
If it proves too unstable, it could be replaced with either Rogues Passage or with Shrine of the False Gods / Tomb of the Spirit Dragon.

Another idea I had was adding Vesuva, though he kept copying the opponents land instead of his temples/locusts - or even play it as first card without it being able to clone.
I didn't test Thespian's Stage, but I imagine that he will keep cloning the wrong lands as well, maybe even wasting mana.

Ah, and maybe Endless One could be included as well, though it is nothing but a Beater. I felt like having the other Eldrazi was better.
So, I felt like creating a weaker version:

Emrakul 1/2 | Open
4 Myriad Landscape
19 Wastes
4 Sword of the Animist
4 Journeyer's Kite
4 Pilgrim's Eye
4 Endless One
1 Eye of Ugin
4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Reality Smasher
4 Walker of the Wastes

Myriad Landscape, Sword of the Animist and Journeyer's Kite/Pilgrim's Eye as basic land ramper, to pump up Walker of the Wastes. I feel like it is a 1, but I am not sure if it could be too strong. I did exclude the higher Eldrazis, Conduits with the 10 mana Eldrazis and Temples could make it a solid medium, though?
Not sure about the Sword. It is a nice ramp, and with Endless One you can put out a beater with all these ramped lands, not to mention Walkers. But... I think it should be something else? Maybe a rather heavy creature to finish off, for example 2 Bane of Bala Ged + 2 Breaker of Armies?
Nordos

Postby friarsol » 02 Feb 2016, 19:48

Nordos wrote:Myriad Landscape, Sword of the Animist and Journeyer's Kite/Pilgrim's Eye as basic land ramper, to pump up Walker of the Wastes. I feel like it is a 1, but I am not sure if it could be too strong. I did exclude the higher Eldrazis, Conduits with the 10 mana Eldrazis and Temples could make it a solid medium, though?
Not sure about the Sword. It is a nice ramp, and with Endless One you can put out a beater with all these ramped lands, not to mention Walkers. But... I think it should be something else? Maybe a rather heavy creature to finish off, for example 2 Bane of Bala Ged + 2 Breaker of Armies?
Myriad Landscape can't fetch Wastes since it doesn't have a land type.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Nordos » 02 Feb 2016, 20:26

Uh, well... It sort of does, but just one. I thought the AI activated it to fetch two, but I was mistaken.
Ok, thanks for the reminder^^ Guess replacing it with Wastes is enough if it should stay as an easy opponent.

Emrakul 1 | Open
23 Wastes
4 Journeyer's Kite
4 Pilgrim's Eye
4 Endless One
1 Eye of Ugin
4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Reality Smasher
4 Walker of the Wastes
2 Bane of Bala Ged
2 Breaker of Armies
Nordos

Postby friarsol » 02 Feb 2016, 20:38

Nordos wrote:Uh, well... It sort of does, but just one. I thought the AI activated it to fetch two, but I was mistaken.
Ok, thanks for the reminder^^ Guess replacing it with Wastes is enough if it should stay as an easy opponent.
That sounds like a bug. A card can't share a land type with itself if it doesn't have any land types.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Sloth » 02 Feb 2016, 20:43

Emrakul 3 was added.
Nordos wrote:Thoughts about Mirrorpool? It can add a rather high creature if he already ramped enough (Oblivion Sower, even though it won't trigger, Reality Smasher, Bane, Conduit).
If he gets 6 normal mana, he has surely enough access to cast 10 mana Eldrazis.
If it proves too unstable, it could be replaced with either Rogues Passage or with Shrine of the False Gods / Tomb of the Spirit Dragon.
I went with Tomb of the Spirit Dragon. I also upped the number of Reality Smasher, it can win games alone.

Nordos wrote:
Emrakul 1/2 | Open
4 Myriad Landscape
19 Wastes
4 Sword of the Animist
4 Journeyer's Kite
4 Pilgrim's Eye
4 Endless One
1 Eye of Ugin
4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Reality Smasher
4 Walker of the Wastes
Myriad Landscape, Sword of the Animist and Journeyer's Kite/Pilgrim's Eye as basic land ramper, to pump up Walker of the Wastes. I feel like it is a 1, but I am not sure if it could be too strong. I did exclude the higher Eldrazis, Conduits with the 10 mana Eldrazis and Temples could make it a solid medium, though?
Did you test this? Thought-Knot Seer and Reality Smasher are far from tier 1 material. This is a rather strong medium deck already. Better add the good lands like Eldrazi Temple and Shrine of the Forsaken Gods, but water down the creatures - couldn't hurt to add some big stupid beef like Breaker of Armies, Eldrazi Devastator, Ulamog's Crusher,...
Sloth
Programmer

Postby Nordos » 02 Feb 2016, 22:18

I did test it against other easy decks - while it did win about ~65% of the games, it still did loose at times. Since it really only has a few really bitter creatures - especially since he has a hard time early (though maybe remove the Eye of Ugin as well to make it more consistent).
Well, the Reality Smasher is a very good card, granted. Thought-Knot Seer is a strong as well, yet I don't think that the AI uses the full potential of this card? Feels like it is not overpowered since the AI makes poor choices at times.

So, weakening it a bit more and strenghtening it to make a medium version?
Emrakul 1 | Open
24 Wastes
4 Journeyer's Kite
4 Pilgrim's Eye
4 Endless One
4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Matter Reshaper
2 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Warden of Geometries
2 Reality Smasher
4 Walker of the Wastes
2 Bane of Bala Ged
2 Breaker of Armies
2 Eldrazi Devastator

Dunno if that one is weak enough for easy.

Eh. I tried to increase its strenght to match medium, but I seem to not finding the right balance? I have the feeling that it became far too strong once again

Emrakul 2 | Open
3 Bane of Bala Ged
4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Endless One
2 Eye of Ugin
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Pilgrim's Eye
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Walker of the Wastes
18 Wastes
4 Eldrazi Temple
2 Oblivion Sower
3 Eldrazi Devastator

Getting an Endless One turn 2 with 4 counters is heavy enough, but adding a Reality Smasher, Oblivion Sower or Bane of Bala Ged simply rips the opponent apart. At the same time, I don't know what I could be using to weaken it somewhat without weaken it too far.
Somehow I think that Eldrazi Temples are kind of broken :P

Well, sure, one could always go with 'meh' cards like Ulamog Despoiler (no targets), Kozilek's Channeler (no need for Ramp), Deathless Behemoth (a 6/6 vigivlance for 6. Actually it may be a solid choice?) or Kozilek's Pathfinder.
In my initial draft I included two copies of All is Dust, but noticed instantly how borken it got^^

EDIT: Well, maybe the Thought-Knot Seer really are too strong, since it gives a card advantage as long as it stays on field. I replaced two of them with Warden of Geometries
Nordos

Postby Sloth » 05 Feb 2016, 12:23

I've added Emrakul 2 with fewer copies of Thought-Knot Seer and Reality Smasher and added Pristine Talisman and Ulamog's Crusher:

Emrakul 2 | Open
18 Wastes
4 Eldrazi Temple
2 Eye of Ugin
2 Pristine Talisman
4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Endless One
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Pilgrim's Eye
2 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Warden of Geometries
2 Reality Smasher
4 Walker of the Wastes
2 Oblivion Sower
2 Eldrazi Devastator
2 Bane of Bala Ged
2 Ulamog's Crusher

I wasn't able to adjust the deck for the easy opponent. Nearly all of the small Eldrazi are too strong (including Walker of the Wastes in this deck).
Sloth
Programmer

Postby tojammot » 05 Feb 2016, 15:20

I suppose a little revision for the eldrazi decks on Zendikar?

Meanwhile I'm revisiting past deck concepts. I've been tinkering for a hard version of the General Patton deck, focusing on aggro now that Crackling Doom is out. Fervent Charge is also neat, but kinda hard to build a deck around.

Version 1 | Open
Main:
1 Ankle Shanker
4 Arid Mesa
3 Badlands
1 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Browbeat
2 Crackling Doom
2 Deathbellow Raider
1 Fervent Charge
3 Glorious Anthem
1 Go for the Throat
1 Goblin War Drums
4 Hardened Berserker
2 Hellrider
1 Iroas, God of Victory
1 Legion Loyalist
1 Lightning Helix
1 Mardu Ascendancy
2 Mardu Shadowspear
2 Mardu Strike Leader
3 Mardu Warshrieker
1 Mortify
2 Mountain
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Night's Whisper
1 Pitiless Horde
1 Plains
3 Plateau
2 Scrubland
1 Sol Ring
1 Swamp
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Topan Freeblade
1 Mox Pearl
1 Iroas's Champion

Version 2 | Open
Main:
1 Ankle Shanker
2 Arid Mesa
4 Badlands
2 Bloodstained Mire
2 Cerodon Yearling
2 Crackling Doom
1 Dreadbore
4 Fervent Charge
1 Go for the Throat
2 Goblin Deathraiders
2 Goblin Guide
1 Goblin War Drums
2 Goblin Wardriver
2 Gurmag Swiftwing
2 Hellrider
1 Idyllic Tutor
1 Impetuous Sunchaser
1 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
1 Legion Loyalist
1 Mardu Ascendancy
1 Mardu Warshrieker
2 Marsh Flats
1 Mortify
1 Mountain
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Nomad Outpost
1 Plains
3 Plateau
3 Scrubland
1 Soltari Champion
1 Soltari Foot Soldier
1 Swamp
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Terminate
1 Tormented Soul
1 Whip of Erebos
1 Zurgo Bellstriker
1 Zurgo Helmsmasher

Version 3 | Open
Main:
1 Accorder Paladin
2 Arid Mesa
3 Badlands
1 Bellowing Saddlebrute
1 Bloodsoaked Champion
2 Bloodstained Mire
2 Chainer's Edict
1 Deathbellow Raider
1 Disenchant
1 Fervent Charge
3 Glorious Anthem
1 Goblin Deathraiders
1 Goblin War Drums
1 Goblin Wardriver
3 Hardened Berserker
1 Hellrider
1 Legion Loyalist
1 Mardu Ascendancy
1 Mardu Shadowspear
1 Mardu Strike Leader
3 Mardu Warshrieker
2 Marsh Flats
1 Mortify
2 Mountain
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
2 Nomad Outpost
1 Pitiless Horde
1 Plains
3 Plateau
2 Scrubland
1 Signal Pest
1 Soltari Foot Soldier
1 Stormblood Berserker
1 Swamp
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Timely Hordemate
1 Tormented Soul
1 Unmake
1 War-Name Aspirant
1 Zurgo Bellstriker

Version 4 (aka I think I'm getting there) | Open
Main:
4 Fervent Charge
1 Idyllic Tutor
1 Boros Swiftblade
1 Hearthfire Hobgoblin
4 Hardened Berserker
4 Mardu Warshrieker
1 Ankle Shanker
1 Deathbellow Raider
1 Tormented Soul
1 Tithe Drinker
2 Night's Whisper
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Sol Ring
1 Mirran Crusader
4 Terminate
2 Disenchant
1 Boggart Brute
1 Zurgo Bellstriker
1 Lightning Helix
1 Glorious Anthem
1 Goblin Deathraiders
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Swamp
4 Arid Mesa
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Badlands
4 Plateau
2 Scrubland
1 Mardu Ascendancy
tojammot

Postby Sloth » 05 Feb 2016, 21:29

tojammot wrote:Meanwhile I'm revisiting past deck concepts. I've been tinkering for a hard version of the General Patton deck, focusing on aggro now that Crackling Doom is out. Fervent Charge is also neat, but kinda hard to build a deck around.
Comments:
- Try giving the deck the line "Profile=Reckless", this deck is focused on attacking after all.
- Some of the deck variants have too much non-creatures: Idyllic Tutor, Night's Whisper and Browbeat are not really essential.
- Don't cut too many of the cheap evasive creatures, the deck can't afford to be too slow.
Sloth
Programmer

Postby tojammot » 05 Feb 2016, 22:04

Is it possible to test an AI deck with a given profile outside of quest mode? I'm not sure if applying the match personality from Preferences works or if it applies on both opponents.
tojammot

Postby Sloth » 06 Feb 2016, 18:39

tojammot wrote:Is it possible to test an AI deck with a given profile outside of quest mode? I'm not sure if applying the match personality from Preferences works or if it applies on both opponents.
When i play against the AI in constructed, the Preferences do apply.
Sloth
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Forge Decks