It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:25

Text Size

Bug/issue discussion thread

A version of WOTC's game by telengard

Moderators: telengard, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Bug/issue discussion thread

Postby telengard » 06 Jan 2010, 01:51

So I think I figured out *what* the issue is. No idea why it's happening only w/ the GUI version. The issue is Sir Wolven (and all Dreamlords, since the same thing happens w/ Bliss).

So avoid these pieces w/ the Windows GUI for now (I'll check the Linux GUI in a bit, same code as far as the engine but you never know).

Sir Wolven
Bliss
Queen Raven
Oneironaut Secundus
Kendra Vale
The Sweeper

So for now until I figure out why this is happening probably best to avoid the Dream Lords. I can get it to happen with just one in either warband.

thanks,
~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1215
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby melkor75 » 06 Jan 2010, 08:54

Ok thanks, i confirm what u say. Just did some other tests, there is at least another piece who causes the same behaviour: Hog Fairy.

May be this could help to find out the issue ...

mm75
PS: if i find some others i let u know ;)
melkor75

Postby telengard » 06 Jan 2010, 20:30

melkor75 wrote:Ok thanks, i confirm what u say. Just did some other tests, there is at least another piece who causes the same behaviour: Hog Fairy.

mm75
Thanks for the extra info. What's really strange is that it only happens on the Windows GUI version. Both console versions are OK as is the Linux GUI. I'll figure it out though. :)

BTW I responded to your thread over on the DB forums @ WotC.

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby Bog Wraith » 08 Jan 2010, 01:53

Forgive me if this has been asked, is there any chance your app could be made to connect via LAN so two folks can play head to head?

I'm just now looking at Dreamblade and going to read the rules & try demo @ WotC later on. Would love to teach my wife how to play, thus my first question to you that I posed!
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby telengard » 08 Jan 2010, 02:12

Bog Wraith wrote:Forgive me if this has been asked, is there any chance your app could be made to connect via LAN so two folks can play head to head?

I'm just now looking at Dreamblade and going to read the rules & try demo @ WotC later on. Would love to teach my wife how to play, thus my first question to you that I posed!
Hi there!

That's a great suggestion. No one has asked for that feature yet (which I'm sorta surprised about). I'm not sure how much work is entailed but once I get this next release out I can take a look at it for sure.

My wife used to play the game with me but hasn't in quite a while which is why I made the AI player. :)

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby Bog Wraith » 08 Jan 2010, 03:49

8)
Thanks for the quick response.
My wife & I play a bunch of games, both board & CCG types. I know that I am very lucky that I have someone who is a gamer and loves these types of games as I do. Her favorite, and my 2nd all time favorite CCG is middle-earth, an absolutely wonderful game!

I've always been curious about Dreamblade and have wanted to learn the game. I remember trying the demo, but that was years ago and I frankly don't remember much about it. I look forward to seeing what you do with your app as you develop it further. I too will probably play it more vs. the AI, but it would be neat to play on a LAN.

Keep up the good work. Although I am mostly involved with ManaLink, I shall not be a stranger in this thread again! :)
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby telengard » 08 Jan 2010, 04:15

Bog Wraith wrote:8)
Thanks for the quick response.
My wife & I play a bunch of games, both board & CCG types. I know that I am very lucky that I have someone who is a gamer and loves these types of games as I do. Her favorite, and my 2nd all time favorite CCG is middle-earth, an absolutely wonderful game!

I've always been curious about Dreamblade and have wanted to learn the game. I remember trying the demo, but that was years ago and I frankly don't remember much about it. I look forward to seeing what you do with your app as you develop it further. I too will probably play it more vs. the AI, but it would be neat to play on a LAN.

Keep up the good work. Although I am mostly involved with ManaLink, I shall not be a stranger in this thread again! :)
Excellent, and yes you are lucky (I am too!). :)

MECCG is my favorite CCG also, I own every card (3 of every except for uniques). I do not get to play it very often though. The dreamblade engine started out as an attempt to make an AI for MECCG (which I started in 2002). I made many failed attempts but may try it again some day.

I think you'll find the current program very true to the miniatures game (caveats apply of course) but I am very active in developing it so any issues you find w/ the rules etc I can fix very quickly.

Thanks for trying out Dreamblade and my computer version of it! And yep, don't be a stranger. :)

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby telengard » 08 Jan 2010, 17:19

melkor75 wrote:Ok thanks, i confirm what u say. Just did some other tests, there is at least another piece who causes the same behaviour: Hog Fairy.

mm75
Hi mm75,

I believe I have fixed the issue. It was in the dynamic font sizing code and the only reason it appeared on Windows is due to the default font I was using. (Long story short is, the code would get into an infinite loop if the ability/stats on the top part of the mini were too long, such as with Dreamlords).

I hope to get a release out *very soon*, but I just want to warn that I've made a TON of changes and not all of them have been tested thoroughly. :)

Thanks for your help in tracking this bug down!

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby melkor75 » 08 Jan 2010, 19:07

THANKS to you mate!

I hope i can test the new version, unfortunately my vacation is going to end, but i look forward to try it :-)

Cheers and keep it always up, great job indeed!

mm75
melkor75

Postby Bog Wraith » 08 Jan 2010, 22:58

telengard wrote:MECCG is my favorite CCG also, I own every card (3 of every except for uniques). I do not get to play it very often though. The dreamblade engine started out as an attempt to make an AI for MECCG (which I started in 2002). I made many failed attempts but may try it again some day.
~telengard
That would be awesome. I can not tell you how much I would LOVE to see a MECCG game with an AI!

I have absolutely gorgeous HQ scans of every middle-earth card made.

These are the sets that I have full images of;

The Wizards, Dragons, Against The Shadow, Lidless Eye, Dark Minions, The White Hand, Balrog and Promo cards including some from Germany!

Examples; From The Lidless Eye & from the original set, The Wizards:

Any chance these scans could re-fire your juices to try again. I would gladly help you test or input info to help. I have no programming skills, but I would help where I could with tedious input chores & the like if need be.

Just a thought as I know Dreamblade is your focus and looks like a great game.

Still, MECCG is waiting... :P :wink:
Attachments
AmonHen.jpg
Amon Hen
AragornII.jpg
Aragorn
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby melkor75 » 10 Jan 2010, 10:36

Bog Wraith wrote:
telengard wrote:MECCG is my favorite CCG also, I own every card (3 of every except for uniques). I do not get to play it very often though. The dreamblade engine started out as an attempt to make an AI for MECCG (which I started in 2002). I made many failed attempts but may try it again some day.
~telengard
That would be awesome. I can not tell you how much I would LOVE to see a MECCG game with an AI!

I have absolutely gorgeous HQ scans of every middle-earth card made.

These are the sets that I have full images of;

The Wizards, Dragons, Against The Shadow, Lidless Eye, Dark Minions, The White Hand, Balrog and Promo cards including some from Germany!

Examples; From The Lidless Eye & from the original set, The Wizards:

Any chance these scans could re-fire your juices to try again. I would gladly help you test or input info to help. I have no programming skills, but I would help where I could with tedious input chores & the like if need be.

Just a thought as I know Dreamblade is your focus and looks like a great game.

Still, MECCG is waiting... :P :wink:
Well, if ever such a project will start ... i'd LOVE IT!!! And i could try to help as much as i can eventually.
I'm a BIG MECCG fan, a great collection having ALL the cards ever printed in any language. Still this year we're going to meet in Germany to play and have some funny games (if u have time, please visiti lureofmeccg.org).

In the meantime i saw a new release is out, going to download it now :-)

Cheers!
mm75
melkor75

Postby telengard » 10 Jan 2010, 17:27

Who knew there were so many MECCG fans? :)

@Bog Wraith
I'd love to have those HQ Scans as the ones I have aren't so hot. Might motivate me to do *something* in the future. :)

I'd love to participate in something like the Lure of MECCG someday.

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby Bog Wraith » 10 Jan 2010, 18:08

telengard wrote:Who knew there were so many MECCG fans? :)

@Bog Wraith
I'd love to have those HQ Scans as the ones I have aren't so hot. Might motivate me to do *something* in the future. :)

I'd love to participate in something like the Lure of MECCG someday.

~telengard
Ok, give me some time to gather it up & put them all together. Dealing with some family issues, so it might take awhile, buy I will post them to mediafire or the like and send you the link. I'll be more then happy to send you these scans! :D

As for the popularity of the game, as Melkor alluded to, there are still tons of people who love, collect & play this awesome game. If there is anything we can do to help create another way to play MECCG, especially vs an AI opponent, count me in! 8)
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Tarigg » 01 Feb 2010, 20:46

Hi!

First of all, congratulations for this amazing work! I played the real version of Dreamblade and was sad to see it go, and so far, your software is the best way to walk the dreamscape again...

I have a few things to suggest, but for today, I just wanted to point out a small flaw in the engine: when you use the expel ability in the GUI, you can't move the target towards the figure using the blade ability. But as a matter of fact, in the rules, you can. The ability only says "Move target engaged enemy one cell", with no direction specified...

For the rest, you did great: I cannot wait to see the next improvements! :-)
Tarigg

Postby telengard » 01 Feb 2010, 23:50

Tarigg wrote:Hi!

First of all, congratulations for this amazing work! I played the real version of Dreamblade and was sad to see it go, and so far, your software is the best way to walk the dreamscape again...

I have a few things to suggest, but for today, I just wanted to point out a small flaw in the engine: when you use the expel ability in the GUI, you can't move the target towards the figure using the blade ability. But as a matter of fact, in the rules, you can. The ability only says "Move target engaged enemy one cell", with no direction specified...

For the rest, you did great: I cannot wait to see the next improvements! :-)
Hi there,

Thanks for the kind words! Someone else had mentioned Expel and I had tested it, but for some reason I got Scare and Expel confused (happens when you are doing a lot of testing).

But yep, there is an issue w/ pieces that have Expel. I'll update the XML definitions for the next release.

If you feel comfortable modifying the XML definitions for the pieces that have Expel all you have to do is remove the block that says the following under the Expel portion:

Code: Select all
<condition>
    <id>CONDITION_TYPE_ZONE_IS_FURTHER_AWAY</id>
</condition>
This is making Expel behave like Scare (which it shouldn't) i.e. only allowing the piece to be moved to a cell that is farther away from the target. If you aren't comfortable making the changes, I should be doing a release soon (once I get some good test time on all the new changes).

Thanks for the bug report! If you find any more bugs just let post 'em here.

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

PreviousNext

Return to Dreamblade