Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Forge Version 1.5.39 (And Beyond)

Postby drdev » 20 May 2015, 14:16

KrazyTheFox wrote:
Bog Wraith wrote:Done! :)
Awesome, thanks!

--

This Friday will be around the two week mark since the last release (it'd be 2 weeks on Sunday). Do we want to target a release for Friday, bumping the version to 1.6.0?
How stable are things? We should only bump the major version if we're pretty stable. I was also kind of thinking we should wait to bump the major version until the network support was working reliably, which it sounds like it's not yet based on comments I've read in different forum topics.

That said, one last minor version bump to 1.5.40 could be good while we get things stabilized for a major version bump.
drdev
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 20 May 2015, 14:53

I'd say 1.5.40 should be OK these days, the game itself is pretty much stable with no dealbreaking bug reports showing up within quite a long time frame (and 1.6.0 will probably be good for the next time when the network play is stabilized, too, as the next major feature).

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 21 May 2015, 00:47

friarsol wrote:
KrazyTheFox wrote:There is limited space available on this server (a total of 30GB including the OS), so we should either keep snapshot deployments less frequent or delete snapshots from previous versions. Snapshots and releases weigh in at around 180MB each (90MB for osx, 90MB for windows-linux). Any thoughts on which we should do? I'll still be deploying windows-linux snapshots to http://krazyweb.net/forge/.

I will be doing more pom cleanup in the near-ish future as well, but this should get us back on track.

I believe elcnesh suggested that we increase the version to 1.6.0, so perhaps Chris would like to take a shot the new release process?
Is there a need to keep snapshots past one or two latest release versions?

I'm down for upgrading to 1.6 (I may have in fact several years ago suggested that online play might be 2.0, but 1.6 is fine too).

I seem to remember that version 2 would also have a better AI.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Hanmac » 21 May 2015, 19:54

"the game itself is pretty much stable ..."
all lies! i recently found cards which are broken and does crash the game, while other cards like the Basilisk ones or the Charisma one have other critical bugs in their programming
Hanmac

Postby Agetian » 22 May 2015, 03:08

Hanmac wrote:"the game itself is pretty much stable ..."
all lies! i recently found cards which are broken and does crash the game, while other cards like the Basilisk ones or the Charisma one have other critical bugs in their programming
I'm afraid this will practically always be the case with Forge - it's just too complex of a game to be absolutely bugless and to have no cards that would be completely error-free. So, whenever we say "pretty much stable" we practically always mean that there are no bugs that crash the game consistently no matter what cards you play and that there are no broken mechanics that affect dozens or hundreds of cards and that are thus immediately noticeable to all the players. It is in these periods of relative stability that we typically release a new beta (btw due to this "relativity" it's still called "beta", and tbh I don't know if we'll ever drop this status :)), and then, of course, people find new bugs (in some cases really big ones, and in some cases even related to something we broke with another fix or with a new feature!) and the cycle repeats itself ad infinitum. :P

Btw, have you reported those things with Basilisk and Charisma anywhere? I haven't found a report related to those cards yet, though I admit I'm mostly scanning the dev bug report thread 'cause I'm always working with SVN trunk.

P.S. A mental note to self: I really wish we had an actual bug tracker - some of the issues get re-reported over and over again with nobody to take care of them at the moment, it would have been great if we could archive those somewhere until someone can take care of them.

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Hanmac » 22 May 2015, 05:34

i reported it there: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6333&start=4365#p178690

block Stone-Tongue Basilisk with a Creature with Persist
Creature dies through battle damage, comes back and then got destroyed by the effect of the Basilisk, but that should not happen

---

Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker i sacrifice a creature with persist and 1 power and when it comes back as 0 power again.
Shirei makes two triggers for that creature, but it should only works once
new is that i didnt reported yet but it did happen:
blocking enemy creature that is enchanted with Charisma, with a creature with persist or undying ...
my creature dies but comes back on the field. and at the end of combat the enemy got my creature but he should not because that should be a new one.

===
=> imo the problem is that when the creature dies and comes back to the field it still does thinks that she did blocked the creature from the enemy

===
with game breaking bugs i mean stuff like viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6333&start=4395#p178974

using Retribution of the Ancients and try to remove 0 counters. (because i only want to target)
there are also no counters on the field.

got the following error:
NullPointerException | Open
Code: Select all
EDT > java.lang.NullPointerException
   at forge.player.HumanCostDecision$InputSelectCardToRemoveCounter.getDistibutedCounters(HumanCostDecision.java:898)
   at forge.player.HumanCostDecision$InputSelectCardToRemoveCounter.getMessage(HumanCostDecision.java:891)
   at forge.match.input.InputSelectManyBase.showMessage(InputSelectManyBase.java:47)
   at forge.match.input.InputBase.showMessageInitial(InputBase.java:74)
   at forge.match.input.InputProxy$1.run(InputProxy.java:73)
   at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:312)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:745)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.access$300(EventQueue.java:103)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:706)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:704)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:76)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:715)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:150)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:146)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:138)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:91)
   at forge.player.HumanCostDecision$InputSelectCardToRemoveCounter.getDistibutedCounters(HumanCostDecision.java:898)
   at forge.player.HumanCostDecision$InputSelectCardToRemoveCounter.getMessage(HumanCostDecision.java:891)
   at forge.match.input.InputSelectManyBase.showMessage(InputSelectManyBase.java:47)
   at forge.match.input.InputBase.showMessageInitial(InputBase.java:74)
   at forge.match.input.InputProxy$1.run(InputProxy.java:73)
   at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:312)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:745)
   at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:76)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:715)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:154)
   at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$2.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:182)
   at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$4.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:221)
   at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport.enter(WaitDispatchSupport.java:219)
   at java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:1082)
   at java.awt.Component.show(Component.java:1655)
   at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Component.java:1607)
   at java.awt.Window.setVisible(Window.java:1014)
   at java.awt.Dialog.setVisible(Dialog.java:1005)
   at forge.error.BugReportDialog.show(BugReportDialog.java:78)
   at forge.GuiDesktop.showBugReportDialog(GuiDesktop.java:211)
   at forge.error.BugReporter.reportException(BugReporter.java:111)
   at forge.error.BugReporter.reportException(BugReporter.java:118)
   at forge.error.ExceptionHandler.uncaughtException(ExceptionHandler.java:107)
   at java.lang.ThreadGroup.uncaughtException(ThreadGroup.java:1057)
   at java.lang.ThreadGroup.uncaughtException(ThreadGroup.java:1052)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.processException(EventDispatchThread.java:264)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:256)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:150)
   at forge.player.HumanCostDecision$InputSelectCardToRemoveCounter.getSelected(HumanCostDecision.java:914)
   at forge.match.input.InputSelectManyBase.resetUsedToPay(InputSelectManyBase.java:83)
   at forge.match.input.InputSelectManyBase.onOk(InputSelectManyBase.java:68)
   at forge.match.input.InputBase.selectButtonOK(InputBase.java:99)
   at forge.match.input.InputProxy.selectButtonOK(InputProxy.java:86)
   at forge.player.PlayerControllerHuman.selectButtonOk(PlayerControllerHuman.java:1323)
   at forge.screens.match.controllers.CPrompt.selectButtonOk(CPrompt.java:100)
   at forge.screens.match.controllers.CPrompt$2.actionPerformed(CPrompt.java:71)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2018)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2341)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
   at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:252)
   at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:289)
   at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6516)
   at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3312)
   at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6281)
   at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2229)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4872)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2287)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4698)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4832)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4492)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4422)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2273)
   at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2719)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:747)
   at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:87)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:720)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:718)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:717)
   at forge.player.HumanCostDecision$InputSelectCardToRemoveCounter.getSelected(HumanCostDecision.java:914)
   at forge.match.input.InputSelectManyBase.resetUsedToPay(InputSelectManyBase.java:83)
   at forge.match.input.InputSelectManyBase.onCancel(InputSelectManyBase.java:54)
   at forge.match.input.InputBase.selectButtonCancel(InputBase.java:93)
   at forge.match.input.InputProxy.selectButtonCancel(InputProxy.java:98)
   at forge.player.PlayerControllerHuman.selectButtonCancel(PlayerControllerHuman.java:1327)
   at forge.screens.match.controllers.CPrompt.selectButtonCancel(CPrompt.java:104)
   at forge.screens.match.controllers.CPrompt$1.actionPerformed(CPrompt.java:65)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2018)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2341)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
   at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:252)
   at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:289)
   at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6516)
   at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3312)
   at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6281)
   at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2229)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4872)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2287)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4832)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4492)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4422)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2273)
   at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2719)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:747)
   at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:87)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:720)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:718)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:717)
similar to that one there is one with Join forces cards when you pay 0 mana or press chancel, i dont have the backlog for that, but i can post one later today
Hanmac

Postby mastroego » 22 May 2015, 07:55

Agetian wrote:P.S. A mental note to self: I really wish we had an actual bug tracker - some of the issues get re-reported over and over again with nobody to take care of them at the moment, it would have been great if we could archive those somewhere until someone can take care of them.
- Agetian
I don't do software but I do handle projects (I'm an engineer, for as long as the crisis will allow it anyway).
Years ago I started "forcing" upon myself to use a methodical track-list of each and every open issue for any project I'm working on.
Kinda boring at the beginning and it may even seem pointless sometimes.
Yet after a while it becomes "your way" of doing things, and working becomes so much smoother and less prone to unexpected problems that you'll wonder how others can ever do without doing it.

I guess I'm saying that this is a very good idea. Yes I'm aware this is a passion project and all, but my point is that such a good method eventually will even reduce the work load. You just have to trust it and good things will come :)
mastroego

Postby Agetian » 22 May 2015, 13:45

Fixed Retribution of the Ancients issue (hopefully without breaking anything else ;)) - r29440.

EDIT: I also tried to fix the issue with Persist creatures dying from a Stone-Tongue Basilisk trigger after being destroyed in combat through combat damage, but the fix is somewhat roundabout and it relies on the assumption that a DamageDone trigger never has a good enough reason to be placed on a creature which is being moved from Graveyard onto the Battlefield and, thus, if it lingers after a creature was sent to the graveyard, its target is automatically invalid. It seems to work but I'm not sure if maybe it breaks something - if it does, feel free to let me know and update/revert as necessary.
Here's a test case for Setup Game State dev feature (it's a full dump - just load it, the AI will pretty much immediately attack with the Basilisk, block it with Lingering Tormentor and you'll see the bug before r29441 and hopefully correct behavior in r29441+):

Code: Select all
humanlife=20
ailife=20
activeplayer=ai
activephase=MAIN1
humancardsinhand=Sacred Foundry;Mana Confluence;Boros Reckoner;Temple of Plenty;Primeval Bounty;Banishing Light;Eidolon of Blossoms
humancardsinlibrary=Elvish Mystic;Stomping Ground;Temple Garden;Aggressive Mining;Courser of Kruphix;Courser of Kruphix;Ajani, Mentor of Heroes;Banishing Light;Borborygmos Enraged;Sylvan Caryatid;Sylvan Caryatid;Aggressive Mining;Banishing Light;Courser of Kruphix;Mana Confluence;Stomping Ground;Karametra, God of Harvests;Forest;Eidolon of Blossoms;Boros Reckoner;Boros Reckoner;Plains;Temple of Abandon;Domri Rade;Elvish Mystic;Temple of Plenty;Sylvan Caryatid;Domri Rade;Polukranos, World Eater;Forest;Courser of Kruphix;Sacred Foundry;Temple Garden;Elvish Mystic;Temple Garden;Plains;Banishing Light;Sacred Foundry;Karametra, God of Harvests;Stomping Ground;Temple Garden;Ajani, Mentor of Heroes;Bow of Nylea;Temple of Abandon;Sylvan Caryatid;Temple of Plenty;Polukranos, World Eater;Sacred Foundry;Temple of Abandon;Elvish Mystic;Stomping Ground;Temple of Plenty;Boros Reckoner
humancardsingraveyard=Cancel
humancardsinplay=Lingering Tormentor|SummonSick:True
humancardsinexile=
humancardsincommand=
aicardsinhand=Keldon Marauders;Mountain;Lava Spike;Mountain;Mountain;Rift Bolt
aicardsinlibrary=Wasteland;Price of Progress;Fireblast;Flames of the Blood Hand;Incinerate;Keldon Marauders;Wasteland;Chain Lightning;Mountain;Incinerate;Mountain;Wasteland;Wasteland;Chain Lightning;Lava Spike;Flames of the Blood Hand;Mountain;Rift Bolt;Lava Spike;Keldon Marauders;Relic of Progenitus;Relic of Progenitus;Volcanic Fallout;Rift Bolt;Flames of the Blood Hand;Mountain;Fireblast;Lightning Bolt;Mountain;Mountain;Chain Lightning;Mountain;Lava Spike;Fireblast;Fireblast;Mountain;Mountain;Incinerate;Lightning Bolt;Incinerate;Keldon Marauders;Mountain;Volcanic Fallout;Price of Progress;Mountain;Mountain;Mountain;Strip Mine;Lightning Bolt;Lightning Bolt;Flames of the Blood Hand;Rift Bolt
aicardsingraveyard=Chain Lightning
aicardsinplay=Stone-Tongue Basilisk;Mountain|Tapped:True
aicardsinexile=
aicardsincommand=
- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 22 May 2015, 22:06

mastroego wrote:I guess I'm saying that this is a very good idea. Yes I'm aware this is a passion project and all, but my point is that such a good method eventually will even reduce the work load. You just have to trust it and good things will come :)
Unfortunately, this hasn't been historically true on Forge. I was one of the few devs that actually monitored the bug tracker, and there's multiple problems with it's usage. People don't follow up tickets after reporting them, people aren't familiar enough to report bugs in a useful manner. And on top of all that not all devs were seeing the bug tracker (since it's in a different area than the forums), but when we were on google code, they were actually getting more use.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Agetian » 23 May 2015, 04:04

Would an idea of creating a bug tracker for internal dev use be viable?.. For instance, we make a sort of an "internal" bug tracker - when a dev sees a useful report here on the boards he pushes it up into the bugtracker so that it can stay there and be followed by other devs until someone picks it up and resolves it.

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 23 May 2015, 10:30

Agetian wrote:Would an idea of creating a bug tracker for internal dev use be viable?.. For instance, we make a sort of an "internal" bug tracker - when a dev sees a useful report here on the boards he pushes it up into the bugtracker so that it can stay there and be followed by other devs until someone picks it up and resolves it.

- Agetian
I mean, we have a bug tracker: http://cardforge.org/bugz/my_view_page.php
Noone uses it. Feel free to post/update bugs there.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Agetian » 23 May 2015, 10:33

Oh, I wasn't even aware of that. :) Thanks for the heads up!
EDIT: Tried logging in there and it didn't work, at least with my credentials here. Do I need to register for it separately somewhere?

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 23 May 2015, 13:08

Agetian wrote:Oh, I wasn't even aware of that. :) Thanks for the heads up!
EDIT: Tried logging in there and it didn't work, at least with my credentials here. Do I need to register for it separately somewhere?

- Agetian

Send Rob Cashwalker a pm.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Agetian » 23 May 2015, 13:17

Ok, thanks! :)

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 23 May 2015, 17:53

Agetian wrote:Oh, I wasn't even aware of that. :) Thanks for the heads up!
Yes you need a separate account. It's a different website than here
friarsol
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Developer's Corner