It is currently 23 May 2024, 15:31

Text Size

Layout problems

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Layout problems

Postby zaroblan » 05 Oct 2010, 14:57

Greetings,

i have some problems when playing Forge on my PC at home. I do not have the best video card or screen around. It is only capable of going to a maximum of 1024x768.

When playing in quest mode the screen becomes cramped and the left hand side is all but non-resizable. The right hand side can resize and but then the card text becomes unreadable.

I have attached a screen shot. The left hand (where you can see Napoleon) will not go any narrower. I have tried everything under the sun to resize this area but nothing works. As you can see the game area portion becomes so narrow that you cannot see a full hand of cards.

When playing a quest this is even worse as Forge just uses the new UI layout which is not good on my machine to say the least. I will bring a screen shot tomorrow and post it.

layout.JPG

Thanks,
Robert
zaroblan

Re: Layout problems

Postby DennisBergkamp » 05 Oct 2010, 16:11

What I would do, is try set the card size to a smaller size (I think it's on medium now). From the Main Menu, click "Menu -> Specify Card Size".
This won't help though with the new UI.

What IS strange however is that the left panel can't be resized smaller, looking at your screenshot it seems you should be able to drag it to the left a lot more.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 05 Oct 2010, 17:54

I recall having issues resizing the height of the left panels - move one, and all the other resized, and I could never get the player info panels to be smallest, leaving the most amount of room for the prompt and stack panels. Never had an issue pulling it narrower.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby zaroblan » 06 Oct 2010, 15:25

I wish there was some way I could record myself attempting to narrow the left hand panel as a demonstration. It is most frustrating.
zaroblan

Postby friarsol » 06 Oct 2010, 16:21

Try going here: \res\gui backup display_layout.xml and then open it up to try to tweak the values. The names aren't great but I think this is the block that has the properties to edit.

For me it looks like this:
Code: Select all
    <object id="MultiSplitLayout$Split1" class="org.jdesktop.swingx.MultiSplitLayout$Split">
     <void property="bounds">
      <object class="java.awt.Rectangle">
       <int>0</int>
       <int>0</int>
       <int>197</int>
       <int>1090</int>
      </object>
That third int value I believe is the width of the rectangle. Choose a smaller value, so for in my example 150, and replace 197 everywhere you see it (as the third paramater) with 150 and save the file.

Launch Forge again, and see if the layout is narrowed. At the very least something should be changed. If it's worse, reset the layout file to your backup. If it's better, great. Anything beyond that is going to be hunting and pecking.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby silly freak » 06 Oct 2010, 21:33

if everything goes wrong, you can simply delete this file and the gúi should be back to its standard measures. it's probably easier to work from that state to what you really want
___

where's the "trust me, that will work!" switch for the compiler?
Laterna Magica - blog, forum, project, 2010/09/06 release!
silly freak
DEVELOPER

Return to Developer's Corner