It is currently 23 May 2024, 14:11

Text Size

introduce yourself - Coder questions to be posted on my blog

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: introduce yourself - Coder questions to be posted on my

Postby slapshot5 » 14 Sep 2010, 15:38

What is your username or forum username?
forum - slapshot5
googlecode - dennis.r.friedrichsen

What country are you in?
USA

When did you start programming?
Ummmm... around 1995 with Pascal

When did you start playing Magic?
I started playing M:TG around Revised/end of The Dark, so mid 1994?

Why do you contribute to Forge?
It's a game I've enjoyed, and none of my friends play anymore, so I googled one day and came across Forge. I know Java, and dug into the code. Bottom line - I enjoy doing it.

What cards have you created?
Jeez, lots. Fireball, Near-Death Experience, Keldon Warlord, Energy Tap, Bottle of Suleiman, Mana Vault, Winter Orb, Icy Manipulator, Twiddle, Recall, Siren's Call, Old Man of the Sea, Time Elemental, and many others in the last 2.5 years

What bugs have you fixed?
most of the ones I created. #-o

Do you play Magic Online?
I tried it once.

How old are you?

-slapshot5
slapshot5
Programmer

Re: Coder questions to be posted on my blog

Postby timmermac » 14 Sep 2010, 16:34

mtgrares wrote:Thanks for the additional bios, bios == biography, not BIOS (basic input/output system.)

I'm surprised that no one plays Magic Online. I always thought of Forge as a variation of Magic Online since they are both Magic + computers.
I would suspect that one of the major contributing reasons for people not to play Magic Online is that it can be bloody expensive. When you factor in the cost of buying packs and event tickets for events and for the secondary market, it's at least as bad as paper Magic. I pretty much stopped playing either when Wizards made the decision to up the price of boosters and starters by something like $1.50 for boosters and $2.something for starters. Maybe when I win the lottery (<grin>) I'll get back into paper/official online Magic, but for right now, I'll take Forge. Matter of fact, I'll probably still play Forge, 'cause it's so darned fun.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby mtgrares » 14 Sep 2010, 17:13

I always thought Magic Online was very expensive. I wanted to buy 4 copies of Wrath of God so bad because it improves every white deck. I'm glad that Forge is chocked full of powerful, expensive cards. (Other cards that I remember wanting includes Royal Assassin and Solemn Simulacrum.)
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby gofishus » 09 Oct 2010, 22:57

The best thing about Forge is that you can test out random decks against each other... If you were to do that on Magic online, it would cost alot of money...
gofishus

Postby bladescape » 19 Oct 2010, 04:29

gofishus wrote:The best thing about Forge is that you can test out random decks against each other... If you were to do that on Magic online, it would cost alot of money...
If you try doing it in real life, it costs a lot of money.....
bladescape

Previous

Return to Developer's Corner