It is currently 25 Feb 2017, 14:00

Text Size

How to get started?

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, moomarc, DennisBergkamp, Rob Cashwalker, friarsol, Chris H., CCGHQ Admins

Re: How to get started?

Postby friarsol » 25 Oct 2016, 01:39

ShivaFang wrote:cardforge.googlecode.com not found. Has the SVC moved?
Hasn't been there for years and years. http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge ... he_project
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby ShivaFang » 25 Oct 2016, 03:20

Thanks - I was going off the information in this thread since it was the only resource I found on the matter. So, yes, I recognize it's old - but I didn't know where the new information was.
ShivaFang

Postby friarsol » 25 Oct 2016, 03:35

ShivaFang wrote:Thanks - I was going off the information in this thread since it was the only resource I found on the matter. So, yes, I recognize it's old - but I didn't know where the new information was.
We tried moving all of this type of info to the wiki since it's a better place to find info about things. Some of it is probably a bit dated at this point, but it should be a decent starting point.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby ShivaFang » 25 Oct 2016, 15:59

Yeah - I didn't even know there was a Wiki. This pinned thread is literally the first thing I found on the matter.

When I get to step 4 it says to 'select the svn connector' I don't see that option anywhere. The drop down box next to SCM URL is empty with no options.

I even tried clicking 'find more SCM connectors in the m2e Marketplace'

EDIT: Hold on - found the m2e-subversive on the marketplace. We'll see if that works.

EDIT2: "Cannot Complete the install because of a conflicting dependency" =Z

EDIT3: My ISP hiccoughed right when I tried to do that. m2e-subversive is now installed and the svn option appears in the drop down. It now says it is checking out Maven project. Will create a new post if I have further issues.
Last edited by ShivaFang on 25 Oct 2016, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
ShivaFang

Postby friarsol » 25 Oct 2016, 16:12

I haven't used Eclipse in forever, so I can't really help there. As mentioned just a few posts down IntelliJ setup is super easy.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby ShivaFang » 25 Oct 2016, 16:13

Thanks, I figured it out (I edited my post above)

The IntelliJ section requires the svn to already be downloaded.
ShivaFang

Postby ShivaFang » 25 Oct 2016, 20:11

My experience with Java has been limited to making .jar plugins for minecraft and xmage - I've never had to compile a whole program in Java before (I have used Unity to make games though, so I understand the concept)

In eclipse, even after doing maven -> update project I was still left with 16 errors I don't know what to do about.

So I tried the IntelliJ instructions and managed to get it to import successfully. I cannot get it to run. Selecting Run -> run brings up a dialogue says something like;

Run
0. Edit Configurations
Hold Shift to debug

I click Edit Configurations and it brings me to the config screen, which I have already set up as instructed. (Holding shift just changes 'Run' to 'Debug') When I click run from the config screen nothing happens.

When I select Build -> Make it compiles with no errors.. but I have no idea where it saves the executable. I've tried looking in the workspace directory to no avail.
ShivaFang

Postby friarsol » 25 Oct 2016, 20:35

ShivaFang wrote:So I tried the IntelliJ instructions and managed to get it to import successfully. I cannot get it to run. Selecting Run -> run brings up a dialogue says something like;

Run
0. Edit Configurations
Hold Shift to debug

I click Edit Configurations and it brings me to the config screen, which I have already set up as instructed. (Holding shift just changes 'Run' to 'Debug') When I click run from the config screen nothing happens.

When I select Build -> Make it compiles with no errors.. but I have no idea where it saves the executable. I've tried looking in the workspace directory to no avail.
Can you take a screenshot with your Edit Configuration screen open? Once you saved that you should be able to just run or debug the configuration from within IntelliJ
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby ShivaFang » 25 Oct 2016, 22:51

This first one is the way it looks when I'm on the application tab
Forge1.png

And this is what it brings me to when I select Run->Run. You'll see the Run button is active but clicking on it closes the configuration window but does nothing else. If I change tabs at this point the Run button greys out.
Untitled-2.png
ShivaFang

Postby friarsol » 25 Oct 2016, 23:23

Have you actually created a new configuration instead of trying to use a default configuration? So basically, click the '+' button, which will give you a new configuration. Then add in the same info you already have, and lastly your classpath should be "forge-gui-desktop" to match the working directory above.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby ShivaFang » 25 Oct 2016, 23:42

That seems to have worked. That application launched! Now I can start my experiments. Thanks!

I did try setting the working directory to forge-gui-desktop and that didn't help - but creating a 'new' configuration did. I didn't notice that option.
ShivaFang

Previous

Return to Developer's Corner