It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:10

Text Size

Forge version 1.4.7

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Forge version 1.4.7

Postby Chris H. » 16 Aug 2013, 14:15

Tentative target release date: Friday August 30.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Re: Forge version 1.4.7

Postby Hellminion » 17 Aug 2013, 15:28

which will be improved in the next version? what will change?
Hellminion

Postby Chris H. » 17 Aug 2013, 21:31

Hellminion wrote:which will be improved in the next version? what will change?

There is no easy answer to your question. :)

There will likely be a few new cards and a hand full of bug fixes. There might be a few UI features added.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby drdev » 17 Aug 2013, 22:20

I hope to commit the start of the ItemManager control I'm working on, which is consolidating the tables and filters in the Deck Editor into one control which will initially just be used in the Card Catalog and Current Deck panes of the Deck Editor, but eventually (likely in future releases) for other places, such as the All Decks pane, the Card/Set Editor I want to work on, and everywhere we display card lists during game play, such as the library, graveyard, and other zones.

In its first iteration, it will probably just be the same table view, but I intend to also work on a card view that will show the card images in piles or a spreadsheet, with the ability to switch back and forth between the views. I'm also hoping to increase the flexibility and improve the UI for searching and applying filters, though I don't know if that will be ready in time for this release.

The end result of this, I hope, is to vastly improve the experience and visuals of working with a pool of cards, decks, or other items.

With that said, I'm going to go ahead and commit the ItemManager as it stands from my branch into the trunk, as its currently stable and working for the Card Catalog and Current Deck panes, and I'm about to start consolidating the filters into it. It would be helpful if people working in the Deck Editor from a trunk checkout could let me know if they notice any issues.
Last edited by drdev on 18 Aug 2013, 18:12, edited 2 times in total.
drdev
Programmer

Postby spr » 18 Aug 2013, 08:04

Hellminion wrote:which will be improved in the next version? what will change?
Actually, this a good idea - we can use this thread to propose our development intentions for this phase/sprint. That way we can ensure no-one is in danger of stepping on anyone elses toes or ambushing the team with major functionality changes. So with that being said :wink: and following on from Dan's post -

Most of the following I have already implemented for my own use, they just need polishing for release. So here is what I am hoping to deliver for 1.4.7
  • An experimental menu bar. This is context sensitive and can be used to show options dependent on the active view. For example, I have used it to migrate the clunky Dock and DevMode tabs on match screen into appropriate menus. I have also used it to add a new option which I have been wanting for a while...
  • Hide the panel tabs which obviously gives you a bit more screen space and also "locks" the panels in position since it prevents you from accidentally dragging a pane out of position. You can still resize the various areas of the screen though.
  • I have always found it ironic that the AI gets to have a name but we the players are "the Human". So I will add a setting to let you personalize your copy of Forge with your name. The log and prompt seem much friendlier now.
  • I have over-hauled the game log (mainly behind the scenes) such that it much more efficient. I am pretty sure I have also fixed the irritating behaviour whereby new entries would not always be revealed because the scrollbar did not move. In fact, I have made the scrollbar optional.
  • When debugging I run Forge in 800x600 so noticed that when there was a lot of text in the prompt panel it would push the command buttons out of view. So have fixed this.
  • when playing Forge I find I favour the zoomer over the card preview window - in fact the hair trigger way the card preview updates whenever the mouse pointer is over a card is very distracting. Even more irritating, when the AI plays a card but your mouse happens to be on the other side of the screen, I find myself attempting to thread my way through the game area hoping not to touch another card so I can preview the card the AI has just played. So, I intend to add an additional option (in the new Menubar) that will disable card preview for the Hand and/or Play areas.
  • finally, I am hoping to continue trying to make the interface more consistent in how it applies the Forge theme.

Here is a screen shot demonstrating some of these changes -
updates.png

Cheers,
Steve
spr

Postby Xitax » 18 Aug 2013, 16:37

Not sure if this is a quick fix or not, but could you fix the avatar selection screen? We only need to pick our own avatar.
Xitax

Postby friarsol » 21 Aug 2013, 17:52

I was poking around the other Software forums here on slightlymagic out of curiosity, and it looks like a few of them have their most recent release in amongst the Announcements, where ours is just the top stickied post. Do we have the capability of moving it up there? Do we think it would be more visible up there?
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby moomarc » 21 Aug 2013, 20:20

We can move it to the announcements section without a problem. Are there any links that would need to be updated in the program itself? If nobody has an issue with it I'll move it.

Or maybe we should move it to the global announcements and let EVERYONE know when we release :twisted: (just kidding obviously)

Maybe we should have a new release topic in the announcements but lock it and keep the stickied thread for each beta for bug reports?
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby Chris H. » 30 Aug 2013, 13:24

We had a build failure this morning while trying to release the beta.

Code: Select all
[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------
[INFO]  T E S T S
[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Running TestSuite
[INFO] Configuring TestNG with: TestNG652Configurator
[INFO]
[INFO] Results :
[INFO]
[INFO] Tests run: 0, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0
[INFO]
[INFO] [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [INFO] Total time: 34.866s
[INFO] [INFO] Finished at: Fri Aug 30 08:35:42 EDT 2013
[INFO] [INFO] Final Memory: 26M/434M
[INFO] [ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.14.1:test (default-test) on project forge: Execution default-test of goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.14.1:test failed: There was an error in the forked process
[INFO] [ERROR] org.testng.TestNGException:
[INFO] [ERROR] Cannot instantiate class forge.PanelTest
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.internal.ObjectFactoryImpl.newInstance(ObjectFactoryImpl.java:38)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.internal.ClassHelper.createInstance1(ClassHelper.java:387)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.internal.ClassHelper.createInstance(ClassHelper.java:299)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.internal.ClassImpl.getDefaultInstance(ClassImpl.java:110)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.internal.ClassImpl.getInstances(ClassImpl.java:186)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.internal.TestNGClassFinder.<init>(TestNGClassFinder.java:120)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.TestRunner.initMethods(TestRunner.java:409)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.TestRunner.init(TestRunner.java:235)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.TestRunner.init(TestRunner.java:205)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.TestRunner.<init>(TestRunner.java:153)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.SuiteRunner$DefaultTestRunnerFactory.newTestRunner(SuiteRunner.java:522)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.SuiteRunner.init(SuiteRunner.java:157)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.SuiteRunner.<init>(SuiteRunner.java:111)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.TestNG.createSuiteRunner(TestNG.java:1299)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.TestNG.createSuiteRunners(TestNG.java:1286)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.TestNG.runSuitesLocally(TestNG.java:1140)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.TestNG.run(TestNG.java:1057)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.apache.maven.surefire.testng.TestNGExecutor.run(TestNGExecutor.java:77)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.apache.maven.surefire.testng.TestNGDirectoryTestSuite.executeMulti(TestNGDirectoryTestSuite.java:189)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.apache.maven.surefire.testng.TestNGDirectoryTestSuite.execute(TestNGDirectoryTestSuite.java:105)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.apache.maven.surefire.testng.TestNGProvider.invoke(TestNGProvider.java:117)
[INFO] [ERROR] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
[INFO] [ERROR] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
[INFO] [ERROR] at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
[INFO] [ERROR] at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.apache.maven.surefire.util.ReflectionUtils.invokeMethodWithArray2(ReflectionUtils.java:208)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory$ProviderProxy.invoke(ProviderFactory.java:159)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory.invokeProvider(ProviderFactory.java:87)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.runSuitesInProcess(ForkedBooter.java:153)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.main(ForkedBooter.java:95)
[INFO] [ERROR] Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
[INFO] [ERROR] at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
[INFO] [ERROR] at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
[INFO] [ERROR] at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
[INFO] [ERROR] at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:525)
[INFO] [ERROR] at org.testng.internal.ObjectFactoryImpl.newInstance(ObjectFactoryImpl.java:29)
[INFO] [ERROR] ... 29 more
[INFO] [ERROR] Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
[INFO] [ERROR] at java.awt.Window.initGC(Window.java:467)
[INFO] [ERROR] at java.awt.Window.init(Window.java:487)
[INFO] [ERROR] at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:536)
[INFO] [ERROR] at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:420)
[INFO] [ERROR] at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:385)
[INFO] [ERROR] at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:180)
[INFO] [ERROR] at forge.PanelTest.<init>(PanelTest.java:46)
[INFO] [ERROR] ... 34 more
[INFO] [ERROR] -> [Help 1]
[INFO] [ERROR]
[INFO] [ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch.
[INFO] [ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
[INFO] [ERROR]
[INFO] [ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[INFO] [ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/PluginExecutionException
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] Total time: 13:12.774s
[INFO] Finished at: Fri Aug 30 08:35:43 EDT 2013
[INFO] Final Memory: 75M/630M
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-release-plugin:2.4.1:perform (default-cli) on project forge: Maven execution failed, exit code: '1' -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch.
[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoExecutionException
logout

Attachments
log.txt
(194.58 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby spr » 30 Aug 2013, 17:03

| Open
SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Forge 1.4.8-SNAPSHOT
[INFO]
[INFO] --- build-helper-maven-plugin:1.7:released-version (released-version) @ forge ---
[INFO]
[INFO] --- build-helper-maven-plugin:1.7:parse-version (parse-version) @ forge ---
[INFO]
[INFO] --- svn-revision-number-maven-plugin:1.13:revision (default) @ forge ---
[INFO] inspecting directory D:\_DATA\Java\eclipse\mtg-forge-release\trunk
[ERROR]
org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNException: svn: E155021: This client is too old to work with the working copy at
'D:\_DATA\Java\eclipse\mtg-forge-release\trunk' (format '31').
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc.SVNErrorManager.error(SVNErrorManager.java:64)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc.SVNErrorManager.error(SVNErrorManager.java:51)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc17.db.SVNWCDbRoot.<init>(SVNWCDbRoot.java:95)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc17.db.SVNWCDb.parseDir(SVNWCDb.java:1495)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc17.db.SVNWCDb.obtainWcRoot(SVNWCDb.java:4564)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc17.db.SVNWCDb.obtainWcRoot(SVNWCDb.java:4558)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc17.db.SVNWCDb.readInfo(SVNWCDb.java:2441)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc17.SVNWCContext.readKind(SVNWCContext.java:346)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc2.ng.SvnNgGetStatus.run(SvnNgGetStatus.java:31)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc2.ng.SvnNgGetStatus.run(SvnNgGetStatus.java:22)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc2.ng.SvnNgOperationRunner.run(SvnNgOperationRunner.java:20)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc2.SvnOperationRunner.run(SvnOperationRunner.java:20)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.wc2.SvnOperationFactory.run(SvnOperationFactory.java:1235)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.wc2.SvnOperation.run(SvnOperation.java:291)
at com.google.code.maven_svn_revision_number_plugin.RevisionMojo.fillStatus(RevisionMojo.java:189)
at com.google.code.maven_svn_revision_number_plugin.RevisionMojo.processEntry(RevisionMojo.java:162)
at com.google.code.maven_svn_revision_number_plugin.RevisionMojo.execute(RevisionMojo.java:142)
at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:101)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:209)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:153)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:145)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:84)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:59)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.singleThreadedBuild(LifecycleStarter.java:183)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.execute(LifecycleStarter.java:161)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:320)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:156)
at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.execute(MavenCli.java:537)
at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.doMain(MavenCli.java:196)
at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:141)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:290)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:230)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:409)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:352)
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:2.6:resources (default-resources) @ forge ---
[INFO] Using 'ISO-8859-1' encoding to copy filtered resources.
[INFO] Copying 2 resources
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-antrun-plugin:1.7:run (build-version-string) @ forge ---
[INFO] Executing tasks

main:
[INFO] Executed tasks
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:3.0:compile (default-compile) @ forge ---
[INFO] Nothing to compile - all classes are up to date
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:2.6:testResources (default-testResources) @ forge ---
[INFO] Using 'ISO-8859-1' encoding to copy filtered resources.
[INFO] skip non existing resourceDirectory D:\_DATA\Java\eclipse\mtg-forge-release\trunk\src\test\resources
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:3.0:testCompile (default-testCompile) @ forge ---
[INFO] Nothing to compile - all classes are up to date
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-surefire-plugin:2.14.1:test (default-test) @ forge ---
[INFO] Surefire report directory: D:\_DATA\Java\eclipse\mtg-forge-release\trunk\target\surefire-reports

-------------------------------------------------------
T E S T S
-------------------------------------------------------
Running TestSuite
Configuring TestNG with: TestNG652Configurator
failed : 41.0
failed : 42.0
Tests run: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 1.031 sec

Results :

Tests run: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0

[INFO] BUILD SUCCESS
[INFO] Total time: 4.394s
[INFO] Finished at: Fri Aug 30 17:49:09 BST 2013
[INFO] Final Memory: 11M/224M

Running the Maven test configuration in Eclipse 64 Juno on Windows 7 64. Initially it fell over with error mentioned at the beginning. After googling I downloaded slf4j-log4j12-1.7.5.jar and added it to my build path. Ran Maven test config again and Build Success but still with the warning at the beginning.

Cheers,
Steve
spr

Postby spr » 30 Aug 2013, 21:43

The "org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNException: svn: E155021: This client is too old to work..." message is due to me recently upgrading to TortoiseSVN 1.8. So I think it's more of a warning than an error.

Cheers,
Steve.
spr

Postby Chris H. » 01 Sep 2013, 14:31

I found the forge-1.4.7.tar.bz2 archive in my target folder. Apparently, the build failure took place after creating this archive. It extracts OK and appears to run OK. Should I go ahead and post an announcement message and attach this archive?

I found the SLF4J (Simple Logging Facade for Java) web site and downloaded the slf4j-1.7.5.zip file. I spent a little time looking at the web site although I an not quite ready to install and then add it to my build path. I might find some time to figure this out this upcoming week.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Hellfish » 01 Sep 2013, 17:30

If it runs ok, there shouldn't be a problem...Right? =-O
So now you're
Screaming for the blood of the cookie monster
Evil puppet demon of obesity
Time to change the tune of his fearful ballad
C is for "Lettuce," that's good enough for me
Hellfish
Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 01 Sep 2013, 18:04

I was able to extract the archive and I played a portion of the constructed mode match. Things appear to be working ... but

I assume that the SLF4J jar contains methods that are called by the test code. If the forge app also called methods in the SLF4J jar then the project should not have built?
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby spr » 01 Sep 2013, 20:56

Chris,

The "slf4j-log4j12-1.7.5.jar" file may be a red herring - just something to do with my own configuration. The point was that eventually I could get the Maven build to work. The implication being there was nothing wrong with the source code but that it was instead a configuration issue.

Also, just to note that this is the third time that this error has occurred recently - it also occurred with versions 1.4.4 and 1.4.3. In both cases it seemed you just re-ran the build and it fixed itself.

It certainly seems to be related to the testing, specifically to TestNG/Surefire, although I don't think there is anything wrong with the actual tests. I have tried googing various permutations of "maven", "There was an error in the forked process", "TestNG", "Surefire" with no obvious solutions.

I would suggest temporarily disabling the test suite goal for the time being until we have identified what is causing this issue.

I am interested to know the difference between the process for running the nightly builds and the full on release build process. The nightly builds seem to work ok so perhaps we need to update these to match the release process as much as possible. Presumably, the test suite is not run on the nightly builds?

Perhaps I should point out that I am interested in CI and have experience with Jenkins albeit in a .Net environment using NuGet (which has similar goals to Maven) but I am no expert with Maven. I am learning because I do have another java project I want to release to SourceForge so I am keen to understand the Forge release process and how it is managed using Maven. If I can be of any help in this regard please let me know as it would be useful experience for me.

Cheers,
Steve
spr

Next

Return to Developer's Corner