It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:41

Text Size

Land Stacking

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Land Stacking

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 07 Jun 2009, 12:10

when playing paper magic, I like to see the equipment's text box under the creature's text box... so it reads top-down, and we can all see what the effect is, which is more useful information than just the name.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby mtgrares » 09 Jun 2009, 17:43

Equipment and land stacking seems cool. Many people have asked for land stacking. I'll post a new version to my blog. (I try to post a new version about once a month in order not to "tire people out".)
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby DennisBergkamp » 15 Jun 2009, 16:39

So I've added the Moxen to the land panel (and clicking on the top mox of the stack should tap the ones below it - no need for precision clicking).
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby zerker2000 » 09 Jul 2009, 10:44

I have no idea how to make this, so I'm asking here: would it be possible to have a button to reorder all cards e.g. alphabetically(within their group that is) to fix unstacked land issues? Also, wouldn't the land panel be better off having all non-creature mana sources instead of just lands/moxen? And finally (this is mainly for test decks), shouldn't non- mana source cards with the same text be stacked (maybe if there are e.g. over four), instead of filtering token-wise? In the paper magic I've seen at school, people tended to stack any cards there were multiple instances of, not just tokens.
O forest, hold thy wand'ring son
Though fears assail the door.
O foliage, cloak thy ravaged one
In vestments cut for war.

--Eladamri, the Seed of Freyalise
zerker2000
Programmer

Postby Mr.Chaos » 10 Jul 2009, 17:06

zerker2000 wrote:In the paper magic I've seen at school, people tended to stack any cards there were multiple instances of, not just tokens.
School has been out for me for ages, but I totally agree on the stacking of permanents.
When I play with the real cards, I tend to stack my cards once I get a lot in play.
And since we have a tendency for scrolling the playfield in this game, stacking as much as possible would reduce scrolling.
(As long as you do not combine Mycoloth with Rhys the Redeemed, that is. There simple isn't a widescreen monitor wide enough to show all of those tokens without scrolling. :lol: )
](*,) = coder at work, according to a coder.It does explain some of the bugs. :wink:
Mr.Chaos
Tester

Postby MageKing17 » 10 Jul 2009, 18:28

Mr.Chaos wrote:
zerker2000 wrote:In the paper magic I've seen at school, people tended to stack any cards there were multiple instances of, not just tokens.
School has been out for me for ages, but I totally agree on the stacking of permanents.
When I play with the real cards, I tend to stack my cards once I get a lot in play.
And since we have a tendency for scrolling the playfield in this game, stacking as much as possible would reduce scrolling.
(As long as you do not combine Mycoloth with Rhys the Redeemed, that is. There simple isn't a widescreen monitor wide enough to show all of those tokens without scrolling. :lol: )
Unless you stack them by combining them into one image and adding "x256" (or however many there are).
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby zerker2000 » 10 Jul 2009, 20:08

MageKing17 wrote:
Mr.Chaos wrote:
Unless you stack them by combining them into one image and adding "x256" (or however many there are).
More like "x25600000000", but that is an excelent idea... is that how Incantus does it? Or do you get around the problem by executing an auto-freeze code when there are too much tokens :mrgreen:?

zerker2000
Programmer

Postby MageKing17 » 11 Jul 2009, 01:23

Incantus doesn't get around the problem... the UI just grinds to a halt. :P
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Mr.Chaos » 11 Jul 2009, 08:41

Rob Cashwalker wrote:when playing paper magic, I like to see the equipment's text box under the creature's text box... so it reads top-down, and we can all see what the effect is, which is more useful information than just the name.
I missed this earlier, but this is also the way I place equipment and enchantments under my cards.
The more "tournament minded" players usually laugh at me for doing it, but I prefer seeing the actual info of the card over it's name.

I also like the idea of a single token card with just a number. It would clean up the board a lot!
Maybe make that 2 tokens though.
1 for tokens with summoning sickness and 1 for tokens without summoning sickness.
(that is what I do in RL, 2 token cards with dice on them so I can seperate the ones that are new from the ones that can attack. This also means you can prevent sacrificing attacking tokens when using Nemata, Grove Guardian)

It would mean you'd need a way to select the number of tokens to attack.
So when you select atackers and click the token with the number, you get a pop up box that ask you to input a number, rather than clicking 2.465.862 tokens seperately.
(you would need a new mouse every other game I think. :lol: And forced rest periods for an overworked finger. :wink: )
](*,) = coder at work, according to a coder.It does explain some of the bugs. :wink:
Mr.Chaos
Tester

Postby zerker2000 » 16 Jul 2009, 04:23

Mr.Chaos wrote:
Rob Cashwalker wrote:when playing paper magic, I like to see the equipment's text box under the creature's text box... so it reads top-down, and we can all see what the effect is, which is more useful information than just the name.
I missed this earlier, but this is also the way I place equipment and enchantments under my cards.
The more "tournament minded" players usually laugh at me for doing it, but I prefer seeing the actual info of the card over it's name.

I also like the idea of a single token card with just a number. It would clean up the board a lot!
Maybe make that 2 tokens though.
1 for tokens with summoning sickness and 1 for tokens without summoning sickness.
Yes, that does seem familiar. On that topic, shouldn't "(summoning sickness)" be something displayed in card text in the GUI?
It would mean you'd need a way to select the number of tokens to attack.
So when you select atackers and click the token with the number, you get a pop up box that ask you to input a number, rather than clicking 2.465.862 tokens separately.
(you would need a new mouse every other game I think. :lol: And forced rest periods for an overworked finger. :wink: )
Well, for numbers under ~20, it shouldn't be a problem just clicking on the numbered token n times( which should add "(attacking)" to card text, moving the top one that you just clicked on into a separate pile), and for more, maybe "attack with all?" or "type in a number to attack with" popup?

zerker2000
Programmer

Previous

Return to Developer's Corner