It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:03

Text Size

New constructed game screen for N players

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: New constructed game screen for N players

Postby Max mtg » 16 Jan 2014, 06:43

Have just added notification from DeckChooser to update text on matching player's "choose deck" button.
Hope that is what Marc was asking for.
Single class for single responsibility.
Max mtg
Programmer

Postby moomarc » 16 Jan 2014, 11:28

Max mtg wrote:Have just added notification from DeckChooser to update text on matching player's "choose deck" button.
Hope that is what Marc was asking for.
Thanks Max! That is indeed what I wanted. I also added the name generation, so for phase 1 completion is setting up the avatar selection.
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby drdev » 16 Jan 2014, 15:59

Alright, I just committed DeckManager support for FDeckChooser. There's a few known issues I need to work out, but it should be mostly functional. Let me know what you think.

DeckChooser.png

Thanks.
-Dan
drdev
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 16 Jan 2014, 16:19

@ drdev: Looks very nice indeed, I welcome the idea of using your awesome deck chooser here!

By the way, something I observed in relation to the new Constructed screen that I wanted to report (this has nothing to do with the DeckChooser being integrated, I experienced this from the very beginning): for some reason, while working with the new Constructed screen, certain actions will make the player list gradually become bigger and the deck list gradually become smaller (insignificantly so, and only to a certain degree, but still). I'm not sure if this is known already or maybe if it's an issue that I'm experiencing on Linux but that you guys don't experience on other platforms, but I found it to be worth mentioning anyway. The easiest way to reproduce this effect is to double click a deck in the deck list to view the list of cards that comprise the deck. This will make the player list a couple pixels larger on my system. Clicking OK in the dialog window that appears will also make the player list a bit larger. Doing this again and again keeps expanding the player list to a certain degree and after a while it stops and does not expand anymore. It's not critical and it's only a minor annoyance, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby moomarc » 16 Jan 2014, 17:10

@ Dan: Great work. All seems to be good.

@ Agetian: The growing panels is a known problem. It has to do with the MigLayout trying to grow everything properly. I think I just have a few too many push and grow constraints in there confusing things, but I haven't been able to sort it out yet. I tried to force a 50/50 split for the two panels, but obviously did something wrong. Anyway, I'll keep tryiing to improve things as I go along.
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby drdev » 16 Jan 2014, 18:26

moomarc wrote:@ Dan: Great work. All seems to be good.

@ Agetian: The growing panels is a known problem. It has to do with the MigLayout trying to grow everything properly. I think I just have a few too many push and grow constraints in there confusing things, but I haven't been able to sort it out yet. I tried to force a 50/50 split for the two panels, but obviously did something wrong. Anyway, I'll keep tryiing to improve things as I go along.
I'm planning on fixing that layout issue when I go and tweak the padding.
drdev
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 17 Jan 2014, 02:47

Understood. Thanks a lot for the effort and good luck! :)

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby drdev » 17 Jan 2014, 04:44

So I spent some time fixing up the layout to prevent the resizing issue and allow viewing more players and more decks at once. This is the result:

ConstructedLaunchScreen.png

Note that I intend to add a fix soon to make it more distinct which player is selected, which should alleviate any concerns over the loss of the header label above the deck chooser that used to indicate the selected player.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
-Dan
drdev
Programmer

Postby Max mtg » 17 Jan 2014, 05:52

Some padding between the two main columns is needed, as well as background highlighting for the currently active player.
Max mtg
Programmer

Postby drdev » 17 Jan 2014, 06:00

Max mtg wrote:Some padding between the two main columns is needed, as well as background highlighting for the currently active player.
How's this?

ConstructedLaunchScreen.png
drdev
Programmer

Postby Max mtg » 17 Jan 2014, 07:40

This padding looks better
Remove messages like "Focus changed to player 3" from console.

See what it looks like on brighter skins, and in minimal window size.

Filters -> Add -> Quest World - does make any sense for custom user decks?

Quest opponents' decks don't show color and number of cards.
Attachments
minsize.png
f-170114.png
Max mtg
Programmer

Postby moomarc » 17 Jan 2014, 13:53

Max mtg wrote:This padding looks better
I agree. Looking good, Dan. Also, thanks for little bits of refactoring you did, in particular the change to the scroll pane, and then for fixing up my listeners and adapters. I tried, but I could only work out so much. Hope the file wasn't too difficult to navigate. I did try to keep related things near each other to make it easier for anyone else to look through.

Max mtg wrote:Remove messages like "Focus changed to player 3" from console.
I've removed the last two console messages that were still left in there from early work.

Max mtg wrote:See what it looks like on brighter skins, and in minimal window size.
I'm having a look at the inactive player tab colors and came across some other configurations that work quite well across almost all the skins:
- CLR_BORDER @ 70-80 alpha, CLR_INACTIVE @ 80-110 alpha, CLR_TEXT @ 70 alpha. The text colour is actually the best for contrast across the most themes, but it isn't always the best looking. Try them out in line 68 of VSubmenuConstructed, and let me know. I think the current colour is probably still the best, so maybe just adjust alpha to 100 from 120?

As for half the panel being hidden on smaller screens, I'll have a look too. I'll post here if I fix it before Dan gets to it.

Max mtg wrote:Filters -> Add -> Quest World - does make any sense for custom user decks?
I think it still has a place. Some people like to build decks outside of quest mode to try out in usual constructed before they risk their win/loss record in the actual quest. It basically acts as additional format filters, so in my opinion it can be left in there.
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby drdev » 18 Jan 2014, 02:39

Max mtg wrote:This padding looks better
Remove messages like "Focus changed to player 3" from console.

See what it looks like on brighter skins, and in minimal window size.

Filters -> Add -> Quest World - does make any sense for custom user decks?

Quest opponents' decks don't show color and number of cards.
I've fixed quest decks to show color and card count, and I've fixed it so it's at least usable even at the minimum 800x600 resolution using horizontal scroll buttons, like so:

ConstructedMinResolution.png

Given the restrictions of layouts, it'd be difficult to do much better than this, and hopefully most people run at a high enough resolution that they won't see such horizontal scroll buttons.

If you have suggestions to make this look better, please let me know.

Thanks.
-Dan
drdev
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 18 Jan 2014, 05:20

I noticed today that if I'm using random color decks when playing Constructed, and then I quit the game and then load it again, the choice of colors on the random color decks tab will be off (the list will not be sorted and only Random 3 will be chosen even if before it was Random 1+Random 2). Not sure if it's just a part of the fact that the new constructed screen does not yet feature the persistence of chosen decks (it doesn't remember them, anyway) or if there's something else bigger here... At least the sorting issue may be a separate problem...

By the way, I love the latest improvements to the Constructed screen! Great job thus far, keep it up!

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby drdev » 18 Jan 2014, 05:57

I just committed FDeckViewer, a new dialog to replace the old deck list dialog that opens when you double-click a deck in FDeckChooser. Instead of displaying just a text list with a Copy and Cancel button, FDeckViewer shows a CardManager just like the Current Deck pane of the Deck Editor. The CardManager in this case is read-only, but you can still filter and sort the list and view more information about each card than just the name. Also, unlike the old dialog, decks of any size are supported.

The new dialog still includes a Copy to Clipboard button, which will put the same text on the clipboard as before. It also now includes a Change Section button that will allow switching between the main deck, sideboard, and other sections for decks with more than one section. That button is disabled if only the main deck has any cards.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like. Let me know what you think.

FDeckViewer.png

Thanks.
-Dan
drdev
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Developer's Corner