It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:50

Text Size

Forge version 1.5.15

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Forge version 1.5.15

Postby Chris H. » 14 Mar 2014, 18:08

Tentative target release date: Friday March 28 2014.

I go to settlement on my new home on March 17. :D

I can not predict how much time I will be able to devote to the forge project. :(
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Re: Forge version 1.5.15

Postby friarsol » 22 Mar 2014, 22:08

I have no idea how this is caused but I believe this is repeatable problem that really needs to be resolved before the next release...

"Edit - And now I'm having a different problem but this one might just be me. ](*,) I switched from the "Game" tab to "Home" tab so I could verify my version. When I went back to the Game tab the Command, Field and Hand frames are gone and I cannot figure out how to get them back. I tried to revert the layout and restart Forge. I'll try to restall as well. Seems odd."

It happened to me the other day, and I think it may also happen with cards like Mindslaver.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Agetian » 23 Mar 2014, 07:30

friarsol wrote:I have no idea how this is caused but I believe this is repeatable problem that really needs to be resolved before the next release...

"Edit - And now I'm having a different problem but this one might just be me. ](*,) I switched from the "Game" tab to "Home" tab so I could verify my version. When I went back to the Game tab the Command, Field and Hand frames are gone and I cannot figure out how to get them back. I tried to revert the layout and restart Forge. I'll try to restall as well. Seems odd."

It happened to me the other day, and I think it may also happen with cards like Mindslaver.
It used to happen to me virtually all the time if I switched away from the game screen to Home, did something, and then went back to the game. Now it happens from time to time but not all the time. There is no recovery from it (at least that I know of, after lots of experimenting) except restarting Forge. I was unable to get the game to go back to normal after the match screen went fubar. This is not a new issue by any means, it happened to me, like, three or four months ago as well, I even posted a report about it a long long time ago but no one seemed to worry about it or fix it in any way. Not sure what is causing it, either, I never dug too deeply into the UI code. But yes, I agree it's a pretty big issue and it needs to be resolved, especially if it affects gameplay (e.g. can happen during the actual match even if you don't switch screens). Maybe Dan (drdev) can look into it if he has time?

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby drdev » 23 Mar 2014, 17:49

I have looked into it before, and at one point I thought I had fixed it. I can't reproduce it reliably at all, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with some failure when attempting to reload the match layout from file after the screen has already been initialized and laid out once. In the past, I thought it had to do with special logic related to the player and commander panes, but I'm not positive.

If anyone can provide some simple steps that reliably reproduce the problem, I could try looking into fixing the problem once and for all. Otherwise, is there anyone more familiar with the DragCell layout stuff that could look into it. That stuff predates my time on Forge and seems to be the cause of a lot of exceptions people report when layouts fail to load.
drdev
Programmer

Postby serrasmurf » 26 Mar 2014, 07:58

Hi,
I submitted the Zendikar World in the world decks develokent thread, not sure if it is already picked up by someone.
Would be cool if it could be added to fridays release.
thnx!
serrasmurf

Postby Warblade » 26 Mar 2014, 17:43

This is happening to me as well.... I'm running version 1.5.14-r25182
I have exited and restarted the game, restarted from within the game (both conceding the game I was in and without conceding the game) I have reverted the program back to original settings and restarted my computer, all without a change. I have no play area in a match, and no hand.

Edit: I deleted Forge and reinstalled, and it seems to be working fine.. but that is an annoying way to have to fix it.
Warblade

Postby drdev » 26 Mar 2014, 17:53

I'll make another attempt to isolate the problem tonight. I'd certainly like to prevent people running into this issue after this next release.

In a related vein, though probably not for this release at this point, would anyone object to me changing how the battlefield, command, and hand areas are laid out? I'd like to consolidate the battlefields/hand areas/command zones for all players into a single doc pane with no tab that fills the middle of the screen by default. I'd like to then redesign the layout of those areas within that single doc pane to work similar to the design I've been working on for the mobile game (see here for a screenshot of what I'm talking about).

I think it would improve usability a lot and prevent all these issues related to multiplayer and switching tabs in terms of layout.
drdev
Programmer

Postby Warblade » 26 Mar 2014, 18:13

I like the look of that new layout.
Warblade

Postby drdev » 26 Mar 2014, 20:04

I asked this in the mobile game thread, but could somebody create an icon for the Commander zone? Right now I'm just using the Planeswalker icon which doesn't really fit with the other icons. Especially if I plan to consolidate the desktop field this way, I'd like to have a nice looking icon for each skin (or at least one for the default that looks good on other skins too).

Thanks.
-Dan
drdev
Programmer

Postby Xitax » 27 Mar 2014, 00:02

drdev wrote:In a related vein, though probably not for this release at this point, would anyone object to me changing how the battlefield, command, and hand areas are laid out?
Because of my limited screen space, I prefer to be able to put the hand on the side to maximize the battlefield. IMHO I have to give up too much battlefield space to put the hand on the bottom of the screen.
Attachments
Layout.jpg
Xitax

Postby friarsol » 27 Mar 2014, 00:08

Yea I do the same thing. Very similar to Xitax's setup except Picture and Detail are on the top right and hand is on the bottom right. Combining might be very obtrusive.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby drdev » 27 Mar 2014, 00:41

I think I fixed the field disappearing issue in r25263. Can I get confirmation of whether anyone can still reproduce with that fix in place?
drdev
Programmer

Postby drdev » 27 Mar 2014, 00:44

friarsol wrote:Yea I do the same thing. Very similar to Xitax's setup except Picture and Detail are on the top right and hand is on the bottom right. Combining might be very obtrusive.
Ok, I'll leave it alone then, at least for now. Hopefully the fix I just committed will fix the disappearing field issue at any rate.

I still feel there are improvements that could be made to the match screen layout, but I'd rather focus my efforts right now on getting the mobile game up and running anyway.
drdev
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 27 Mar 2014, 01:05

drdev wrote:I think I fixed the field disappearing issue in r25263. Can I get confirmation of whether anyone can still reproduce with that fix in place?
I wasn't always able to reproduce it, but what I did to get it last time seems to be fixed.

Not sure if this is related, but when I activate Mindslaver on the next turn, my cards look to be face down (not sure why that is). Additionally, after Mindslaver effect ends, I can still see my opponent's hand (although now, his hand is facedown, but it still lists the card names and costs.)
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby drdev » 27 Mar 2014, 01:28

friarsol wrote:
drdev wrote:I think I fixed the field disappearing issue in r25263. Can I get confirmation of whether anyone can still reproduce with that fix in place?
I wasn't always able to reproduce it, but what I did to get it last time seems to be fixed.

Not sure if this is related, but when I activate Mindslaver on the next turn, my cards look to be face down (not sure why that is). Additionally, after Mindslaver effect ends, I can still see my opponent's hand (although now, his hand is facedown, but it still lists the card names and costs.)
I think that is related. I'll investigate.

EDIT: The reason your cards are face down is because of a different change I made regarding whether card images could be displayed. I can try and fix that too.

EDIT2: I've fixed both issues now as of r25267. You can now see both players' hands when your controlling another player's turn, and that player's hand panel is now removed when losing control of him.
drdev
Programmer

Next

Return to Developer's Corner